Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
St Petersburg Florida?

Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't been on in so long. Life has just been really busy. My short bus hasn't gotten any farther due to a list of reasons but that's not why I'm here.
Anyway, I'm planning to attend a little reggae festival in St Pete on March 15 and I started reading about the high crime rates there. I know a lot of you are from Florida. Any experience or suggestions?
I got a hold of someone in the city who deals with parking lots and they said I could stay in the Al Lang stadium parking lot which is only a mile from the park where the music will take place.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...!4d-82.6333968

Any of you live there? There seems to be a lot to see like the Salvador Dali Museum, 100 year old botanical gardens ect.
I keep my Honda generator u-locked and chained on the back but I'd hate to be a target.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't been on in so long. Life has just been really busy. My short bus hasn't gotten any farther due to a list of reasons but that's not why I'm here.
Anyway, I'm planning to attend a little reggae festival in St Pete on March 15 and I started reading about the high crime rates there. I know a lot of you are from Florida. Any experience or suggestions?
I got a hold of someone in the city who deals with parking lots and they said I could stay in the Al Lang stadium parking lot which is only a mile from the park where the music will take place.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...!4d-82.6333968

Any of you live there? There seems to be a lot to see like the Salvador Dali Museum, 100 year old botanical gardens ect.
I keep my Honda generator u-locked and chained on the back but I'd hate to be a target.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Best art museum is the Ringling museum a bit further south down in Sarasota.
St Pete is ok. I don't care much for it but that's because its busy and expensive. The worst crime north of Miami is probably the whole Tampa area which includes St Pete. Last time I was over there I had my stuff stolen out of my car in ten seconds. Not even kidding. Lock your stuff up and you should be ok.

Why not park AT the event?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

Why not park AT the event?
They're giving me a hard time about my 28 foot vehicle. I just emailed them again insisting there must be a place and if not too pass my e-mail on to someone else involved. I don't know why people have to be so close minded.. Especially at a conscious reggae event! Ridiculous.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
where is the festival? in straub park? I never realized there was a lot of crime there? i lived in st pete for a year and travel there every couple months still... i lived downtown.. I walked the streets at night and during the day all the time.. never once got bothered..

the parking Nazi's though are real... parking on city streets in downtown st pete will almost certainly land ypu a ticket unless you find an unctrolled space... ive seen people park RVs in the downtown area outside pf immediate downtown.. have to look at the signs.. areas around my old apartment building at 4th and th south. are controlled during the day but not at night.. i sometimes had my buss parrked there overnight and didnt get bothered...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Vinoy Park

Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Vinoy is a nice place.. on the bay side vs the spring break college party side of the island by the beach .. walked along that area night and day. Maybe it’s changed in the year and a half since I ditched my apartment downtown? I was there for a week this past December and seemed similar except they finally finished that high rise condo tower that took forever to build on first.

What areas have you heard there was high crime? I could see it west of about 25th and maybe south of the 175 by a mike or so but downtown and bay front always seemed great.
Christopher
Old 01-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Mostly theft. Its always been a problem in that area.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Mostly theft. Its always been a problem in that area.

the area of st pete beach has a serious theft problem.. and some of the inland areas can be a little dicey..

like any city though its best to take care when it comes to locking things up... dont leave your bus unlocked or a bunch of stuff sitting out around it.. there are homeless guys which arent violent but would pick stuff up in a heartbeat.

-Christopher
Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the area of st pete beach has a serious theft problem.. and some of the inland areas can be a little dicey..

like any city though its best to take care when it comes to locking things up... dont leave your bus unlocked or a bunch of stuff sitting out around it.. there are homeless guys which arent violent but would pick stuff up in a heartbeat.

-Christopher
It was at the beach! That's where my stereo and luggage where stolen in ten seconds.
The old Thunderbird "resort".
Old 01-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #10

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: CAT 3126
local agrees

I live in clearwater which is just a few minutes north of st. pete. My wife and I are photographers and we spend a lot of time at the vanoy. I hate to say it but I agree with most of the comments about the crime. There are a lot of homeless people around there so having your stuff stolen is a major issue. However, I do believe its incredibly safe down there. St Pete is trying to attract a lot of upper class tourist so they've really upped the security around downtown. Id imagine they would be giving you a hard time about your bus because street parking is limited down there. thats why they've built so many garages. Youre best bet would be to find a place outside of downtown and take an uber or public transit.
foundpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #11

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: CAT 3126
*the vinoy
foundpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
It was at the beach! That's where my stereo and luggage where stolen in ten seconds.
The old Thunderbird "resort".
I've stayed in that place a number of times.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #13
Bus Geek

We used to have the company party there every year when I worked at the steel shop.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
Bus Geek

wow i never knew crime was so bad... i do know there are a lot of homeless. that beg all the time.. esp at the park in the center of town.. williams park? they have pretty much taken over that park..

I was never threatened with violence.. but also having that I had an apartment in a secure building and a garage for the car probably helped with any theft of items..

like anywhere I never left my phone or computer laying around when at coffee shops or the beach.. if I had to hit the restroom my backpack went with me...

maybe im just all too used to City Life in general to find it out of the ordinary.. I spend a good deal of my time in downtowns of cities from small to Large.. including the likes of chicago, Miami, Tampa, New york, DC, san fran.. and others...

tampa def has its spots that made you look in all directions often..

Beach areas are always hot spots for thefts.. people get lax.. leaving their phones and wallets in their beach bags while they jump in for a quick dip in the water.. with so many peoiple around its easy for someone to snag something unnoticed.. same with parked cars..

lots of people, if its spring break or high season. theres lots of people and lots of commotion outside at night. so perfect for a car theft..

-Christopher
Old 01-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Thanks everybody for the information. I think I'm just not going to bring my generator so I don't have to worry about it. The second half of my trip is campgrounds with electric anyway. We ended up having to get a hotel while in Saint Petersburg and the management claims to have found a spot they own to park the bus. It will have to do!
If it's not too far drive for many of you come on out! It's called Reggae Rise Up March 15-19. Three days of positive vibes and good music.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: MCI 96A3
Engine: DD 8V92TA
Just spotted this post,
The place where I keep\work on my Bus is very close to Downtown St Petersburg.
It is a fenced in yard not far from Tropicana Field (the Dome).
If you are still in need of a place to park, or just want to hook up and talk Buses let me know.
There is also another Skoolie being built in the yard.
Peter
peterbylt is offline   Reply With Quote