Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #1

Taking a School Bus from GA to CT

Hello All,

I've been snooping behind the scenes for a little, but figured with getting two 2005 Internationals, I should make myself an account and introduce myself. But first, I have need a little advice.

I am going to be picking up the buses down in GA and driving them back to CT. It will literally only be me on the bus, I have a CDL, and the bus will be used for a church (non-profit, not for hire).

Any thoughts about having to stop at weigh stations? I've got a long drive and have to make it back in 3 days (17 hour drive, not an issue really) for Wed Night church so I can preach!

Thanks in advance for any advice. Note: I did call the CT DMV and they didn't know. The CT DMV is very unsure of what to do with a not for profit bus.

PreachingonaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #2
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Being a truck driver for many years, I would say if in doubt stop, can't hurt to much
No weight problems, they may just want to see your papers..and it's always better to be up front than to have to turn around and go back, cause if they want to they will chase you down. Lol
Old 08-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
In GA at least (since I live here), non-profit use of a bus for churches and other organizations still puts it in "CDL with passenger endorsement" classification. Most states follow similar rules. Since you're heading back with 'em empty this may not pose a problem. Some states do not require buses to stop, others do. If it were me, I'd bypass if there's no sign saying for buses to weigh. Some scale-houses now have Weigh-in-Motion; I'd obey the W-I-M signs if they give you the "Bypass" or "Must enter" indication.

In most states, churches *DO NOT* qualify to run buses under "Private Coach" rules, they are required to obtain DOT numbers and all that goes with it. Depending on the use, they may qualify under School Bus rules (especially if they are actually picking up/dropping off kids from educational activities). It can get very complex and technical and it all varies from state to state and even county by county so you'll want to talk to someone very familiar with your area to make sure you're good to go.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote