Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I like the gadgets and old gadgets are boring ... I want screens and buttons and things that auto stop and remote start and GPS track and self park and have speakers louder than the ballers downtown
Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #42
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
New cars are crap.

Daily drivers-

'98 Grand
'02 Durango- never been in the shop.

Rock Auto FTW. YMMV
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #43
Bus Nut

I had a 86 ranger 2 wheel drive, 5 speed manual it had 360k miles on it when I gave it away. What took it out was rust.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Just as a data point, I have a 2012 Kia Soul with 93K on it that had nothing but grease/oil/filter, brakes, tires, and a battery. Maybe a light bulb, but the dossier on that one is pretty skinny. Our 2012 Prius is similar except Toyota raped us for $140 for headlight bulbs.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
With consideration for those who have experienced rape, let's not misuse it as a metaphor.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:47 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
With consideration for those who have experienced rape, let's not misuse it as a metaphor.
I dont think the word has not been misused at all.

Rape | Define Rape at Dictionary.com
Quote:
an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation:
the rape of the countryside.

Back to the conversation-
New cars suck.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

New cars suck.
I love my new cars.. I just wont Own them,.. drive em like I stole em then send them on.. LOL
-Christopher
Old 10-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I love my new cars.. I just wont Own them,.. drive em like I stole em then send them on.. LOL
-Christopher
That makes sense.
I'd never wanna do this new car thing again. Leasing makes more sense these days. Sad that the cars of today are just disposable appliances, but that's just what they are.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #49
Traveling

Quote:
That makes sense.
I'd never wanna do this new car thing again. Leasing makes more sense these days. Sad that the cars of today are just disposable appliances, but that's just what they are.
Well, that's the thing. Do you know how to easily get better milage out of old technology ie Internal combustion engine ?

Remove steel from the vehicle, replace with Bluetooth.

Dealer " This one has the powerful V-6 engine" Ohhhh...Ahhhh. Wait, doesn't my trade-in have a V-8????

Dealer: "...this one has electronic stability control and anti-collision avoidance system. " No, I can use a brake pedal effectively and have eyes.

Dealer: " This one has On-Star so we can remotely diagnose your electronic issues." Lol.

Me: "I would like side mirrors, how much extra? " Oh, That option is ONLY available in our $3,495 Deluxe European Touring package...
Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
I like the gadgets and old gadgets are boring ... I want screens and buttons and things that auto stop and remote start and GPS track and self park and have speakers louder than the ballers downtown
Christopher
Gadgets break and I want my stuff to run even if a fuse is blown. Carbs can be tuned with an ear and a screwdriver. You have to have pretty damn good hearing to adjust a computer.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:57 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Quote:
That makes sense.
It doesn't for me; once you add in miles. If I only drove 3 miles a day to work, I'd be all over the leases. 30k a year with only 12k given and what 40 cents a mile after that? is an extra $7,200. That's a third of my $300 a month car.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #52
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Dealer: " This one has On-Star so we can remotely diagnose your electronic issues." Lol.
Can you remotely send me a 16mm shorty socket in 6 point with 1/2" drive because some dumb a$s decided 16mm which no one uses is a good size to torque to 250 lb-ft right next to a cross member and the exhaust? Oh and please include the new part as well.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #53
Bus Geek

once i started tuning with a laptop instead of a screwdriver in my hotrods i became much more efficient as did my builds...

my last Monte carlo build started out as a holley 750 double pumper on top of a .040 over stroker (387).. yeah it ran and sounded cool and drank a lot of gas.. i spent hours and hours tuning by ear, timing light, and even a little roller time..

then I installed a full multi-point modern Vette style injection system, I didnt go DIS but i did go electronic indexing distributor.. then I tuned it with software.. and I let the computer tune itself.. it knew how the engine should run.. knock sensors to tell if the advance is too far, O2 sensors to see if im getting a clean burn..

various tunes for various driving.. then I built the transmission controller to drive a 4L80E..

next thing I knew I could bolt on different wheels and run low 12s at the track, or I could change the tune and get 24 MPG on a road trip..

its all in what one is comfortable with..

as for the modern gadgets.. my 2017 Malibu a few months ago Stopped me quicker than I could.. that car blew the stop sign outta nowhere.. I went for the brake pedal quickly.. by the time I got there the car already had the brakes slammed on.. i stopped 10 feet or so from them.. the car was easily 1/2 second quicker than I was.. trhe difference perhaps between mangled metal and an injured driver and / or me.. and the fact I was just pissed because they ran a stop sign... a big slam of the horn button and I was on my way..

Onstar not too long ago found and disabled a Tahoe where the lady was carjacked and her kid was in the backseat... ill bet she was glad to have that fancy new truck...

everyone has their reasons for drivng what they drive.. my only point is "new cars dont 'suck'" there were plenty of issues with old cars too.. not so long ago it was considered junkyard ready if a car reached 100,000 miles.. theres plenty of 90s cars out there 9with airbags and power locks and electronic A/C, and stabilitrak, and EFI) still running at over 200k..

pretty soon in the skoolie world everyone will have to learn the electronic engines as mechanicals will be gone.. and will need to learn how to service and maintain the emissions systems as Non emissions busses will be gone..

the computers i learned to program years ago are obsolete.. so you learn the new and move forward.. at one time people thought "cars are too complex.. give me my horse"... "light bulbs? really? something that is used a few hours and burns up and costs to use.. i can make candles much cheaper..."

-Christopher
Old 10-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
everyone has their reasons for drivng what they drive.. my only point is "new cars dont 'suck'" there were plenty of issues with old cars too.. not so long ago it was considered junkyard ready if a car reached 100,000 miles.. theres plenty of 90s cars out there 9with airbags and power locks and electronic A/C, and stabilitrak, and EFI) still running at over 200k..

-Christopher
Oh I know and generally agree cars are better. I'm mostly just giving you grief. But I do want my car either as dumb as a box of cold rocks or certified genius. If you can give me all the electronics and keep it running with a failed brain, great. That's probably asking too much without building everything triple redundant. I want to be able to get home when an O2 sensor (fill in the blank) dies. Carbs and candles are just easier to fix at 2 am on Sunday in rural GA while stuck on the side of the road.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #55
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Gadgets break and I want my stuff to run even if a fuse is blown. Carbs can be tuned with an ear and a screwdriver. You have to have pretty damn good hearing to adjust a computer.
On the other hand, you would be that you need to be pretty fast with that screwdriver adjustment to beat the number of times /second the computer does it.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Bob just likes to give me grief while we hijack yet another thread together

in the early days of computers and before the days of googling.. and dealer networks with 1000s of parts all online id say totally yes it SUCKED when a computer part broke.. but i find these days getting an electronic part is just as fast as a mechanical if it breaks.. mechanical parts are usually much easier to diagnose.. as you are standing there alongside of the road with two halves of it in your hand .."yep! Its busted!".. perhaps i do have more computer scan tools than the average guy carries with him..
-Christopher
Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #57
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:

New cars suck.
I knew I shoulda answered that last night before the thread got back on track! Procrastination is something I've been meaning to do something about.

Then again, indecision may or may not be my problem...
Old 10-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #58
Traveling

Quote:

-Christopher
Yeah, but the difference between you guys and us is: you are still getting paid while hijacking threads.

I still don't know how you code and bs at the same time. Quite impressive.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Yeah, but the difference between you guys and us is: you are still getting paid while hijacking threads.

I still don't know how you code and bs at the same time. Quite impressive.
code has to compile, servers have to reboot, test runs have to take logs.. all takes time..

plus a code-jammers best friend is distraction.. thats why many of us code in coffee shops, on city-patio diners, in busses, on planes, etc...
-Christopher
Old 10-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #60
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
This.

Quote:
in the early days of computers and before the days of googling.. and dealer networks with 1000s of parts all online id say totally yes it SUCKED when a computer part broke.. but i find these days getting an electronic part is just as fast as a mechanical if it breaks.. mechanical parts are usually much easier to diagnose.. as you are standing there alongside of the road with two halves of it in your hand .."yep! Its busted!".. perhaps i do have more computer scan tools than the average guy carries with him..
I'm old and cranky. My complaint isn't availability. You can probably rebuild 90% of a car from Rock Auto and Napa, etc. It'll cost you half a million dollars for a 2010 Kia but you could do it.

I guess my real complaint is the totality of a failure in computer controlled car and the cost to diagnose it. Water pump dies and you can drive home a 1/4 mile at a time. Cam shaft breaks and everyone is dead.

Battery drops too low and the computer car may kill itself (fry the computer, other sensors, etc). The scan tool for the computer is $3k and it says you need a new computer that is also $3k. $6k will buy you a new water pump, engine, and tranny.