Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
" I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER"."

Groucho Marx
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: CHEVROLET C60 just under 19700 lbs body#B10353
Engine: 350 ci on propane
Rated Cap: 48
I think this song applies.
https://youtu.be/oeT5otk2R1g
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
I think this song applies.
https://youtu.be/oeT5otk2R1g
Great song from the time. I was graduating high school when it came out. A tune you never forget the lyrics to.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 7.3L 210HP Turbo Diesel T444E
Rated Cap: 28 + 3 wheel chairs.

I believe RVIA is like a mobile HOA. I stay clear of those, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
" I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER"."

Groucho Marx
Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
In two months of travel this summer we got one ďno.Ē And that was the one we sent advance pics to.

Usually you donít want to stay at those high brow places anyway, and it isnít just skoolies getting turned down.

At least in my experience if you roll in and they have space and you have a positive attitude and donít look like youíre going to be somebody thatís going to be a pain in the neck for them, everything goes smooth as can be.

If the person at the counter is a decision maker and you pass the gut check they will wink at policy. If you donít, getting pissed will only make it worse.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 7.3L 210HP Turbo Diesel T444E
Rated Cap: 28 + 3 wheel chairs.
That is very true - I was only turned away once in person - but that was the very expensive RV resort - and I was not resort worthy. But not making a scene is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
In two months of travel this summer we got one ďno.Ē And that was the one we sent advance pics to.

Usually you donít want to stay at those high brow places anyway, and it isnít just skoolies getting turned down.

At least in my experience if you roll in and they have space and you have a positive attitude and donít look like youíre going to be somebody thatís going to be a pain in the neck for them, everything goes smooth as can be.

If the person at the counter is a decision maker and you pass the gut check they will wink at policy. If you donít, getting pissed will only make it worse.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:51 AM   #17
Almost There

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins ISC 260/660
Rated Cap: 81
I was at a campground with my bus before conversion on the way home after buying it. The guy at the gate let me in no problem but in the morning a lady approached me about it. She said it was ok because I had a tent set up but said I’d probably have problems getting in with it because it’s not RVIA. So next time I have a problem, the bus will be my transportation and the tent will be my camping unit.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:03 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
RVIA - Recreational Vehicle Industry Association.

When asked if your RV has this, they are basically asking "is this a factory designed, engineered, and built RV?" "Professionally converted" usually denotes "Was this done by a shop/factory that meets RVIA requirements?"

It's sort of the RV equivalent of asking if a car/truck meets all DOT requirements, and in the RV world, it also encompasses all electrical and plumbing codes too, thus passing a "building inspection" of sorts.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 6 Cyl Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 46
90% of all converted Skoolies are 50 times better quality then the tin can RV's that are being manufactured today. My guess is RV junkufactors are behind the push because people are realizing how worthless the RV's are made and they are loosing money.

truth2ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the problem is at a lot of these places its all about LOOKS ONLY... just like at car shows.. I stopped building HotRod cars because any amount of engineering marvels made under the hood completely were eclipsed by a single Flaw in the body work. if you couldnt do your hair in the paint shine they laughed at you.. regardless of the fact you built a completely custom engine, fully Glass dash, and built your own trans controller from scratch...

I suspect the RV resort / Glamping world seems to be the same.. when I used to drive that 3/4 million dollar Bus conversion (professionally built brand new Prevost coach) on trips for my 2 friends each year (they bought it and had no clue how to drive it.. so it pretty much became "mine" to drive..).. pulling into one of those places to set up "camp" was almost like pulling into a 5 star hotel.. these resorts had pools, bars, restaraunts, and of course massive parking spaces for RVs.. it seemed it cost nearly as much as a nice hotel to stay at too...

im not one to camp without some comforts of home.. like my A/C or heat to sleep and not really into #2 in a bucket.. However when you cant even make a nice wood fire to cook on then I may as well stay in a hotel...

all of those RV's in the fancy resorts had RVIA and FMCA stickers on them...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote