Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
What's the deal with the RVIA Seal ?

We recently reserved a campsite at a park that requires an "RVIA Seal"... the reservations were online only and so we booked it anyway :P Have any of you had a run in with this problem? Whats the deal with the RVIA seal ?

Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
RVIA = Recreational Vehicle Industry Association.

Sounds to me like they don't want Skoolies; they only allow factory-built RV's (which usually have said seal).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I've thought of going to a RV junkyard and getting one of those RVIA stickers from a junk RV. Two can play at that game. The RVIA is a "self-regulating" industry group, in other words there is absolutely no governmental or independent oversight. It's not even affiliated with UL or the NFPA. It would be more to the point if the NFPA certified an RV as complying with 1192, but they don't. Essentially, an RVIA sticker means nothing. Maybe it meets all of NFPA 1192, maybe it meets only some of it, maybe not at all? Who knows?

Just tell the campground that you have an older Blue Bird Wonderlodge motorhome! If they don't know the difference between that and a genuine Wanderlodge, that's their problem. Just don't use the term "bus" or "conversion" at all - you have a motorhome. Maybe you could make a badge or plate that says "Blue Bird Wonderlodge" (or get a genuine Wanderlodge badge from a junked Blue Bird RV), and put it next to the door.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
so we arrived today and upon check in we were verbally asked if we have the sticker and we replied with a "yes" and she just continued on with her questionaire so i hope to get myt own homemade rvia sticker printed soon and i also plan to fill out the comment card upon departure explaining ICENI JOHN statement of the validity of this sticker
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Add the "G" number of your choice and print onto vinyl stick stock.
Don't blame RVIA, blame the campground operator. Might ask if they also require KKK membership.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I hate to get into a taffy pull over something as stupid as a RIVA sticker----not saying that I won't, just that I'd rather not have to deal with it.

That said, I make RV park reservations in advance and send a picture of my skoolie ahead of time. If they don't want me, big deal, someone else will. Of course with an 82 year old school bus conversion even that crafty RIVA sticker above probably wouldn't get me in.

I kind of understand the mentality though. Things like RIVA stickers and 10 year old limits do help keep the business owner from having all sorts of dead beats moving into their parks with the only way to get them out being by court order.

Of course there are the Adam Henry park owners who think that unless the rig cost $500,000 it is below their personal status--I don't want to stay there anyway.

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

*note to self: pick up sticker sheets for home printer on the way home!*

I'm gonna give this one a go!
toplessartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Most, if not all, of the RV parks in this area asked:
  1. How old is it?

If it was older than 10 years old, they told me NO in no uncertain terms. Then, I said it was a school bus. ABSO-FRICKIN-LUTELY NO!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Most, if not all, of the RV parks in this area asked:
  1. How old is it?

If it was older than 10 years old, they told me NO in no uncertain terms. Then, I said it was a school bus. ABSO-FRICKIN-LUTELY NO!
Back in the 90's I converted an Eagle 10. Roof raise, reskinned, RV windows and Imron paint. It came out very professional looking.

In a "brand new" conversion on a 12 year old shell I was turned away at several RV parks because my registration said the bus was 12 years old.

When I go out on the road in my Bluebird I will be taking full advantage of BLM, National Forest and, of course, WalMart for free or cheap camping. The fancy Glampgrounds can k...... Well you know.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I've only been turned away from two campgrounds because of their ignorance...

Once in Florida - at an RV resort. They were out of my price range, anyways - but I wanted to be cool - they saw the bus and laughed at me. I was saddened.

Today in Virginia - The Candy Hill RV Resort asked about my RV when I was trying to make reservations - I told them I have a 28 foot Motorhome - Year? my bus is a 2000. They asked if it was RVIA certified. I asked what that meant - and he said it means it was done professionally. I explained that I was a professional. I said it is registered and titled as an RV - and that I am ashamed that they even question my RV. But in the end I told them it was a professionally (meaning I paid myself) converted bus that exceeded any RVIA standards - and the answer was still no.

But I am at another campground about 30 minutes south of there - and they have no problem with the hotness of my Recreational Vehicle.

In short - win some / lose some. I mostly stay in state / county parks - or national parks. Those are much more to my liking. It's harder to find boon docking places out east - but I know they are here...
Old 09-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
" I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER"."

Groucho Marx
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #12
Bus Nut

I think this song applies.
https://youtu.be/oeT5otk2R1g
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
I think this song applies.
https://youtu.be/oeT5otk2R1g
Great song from the time. I was graduating high school when it came out. A tune you never forget the lyrics to.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #14
Bus Nut

[emoji23]
I believe RVIA is like a mobile HOA. I stay clear of those, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
" I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER"."

Groucho Marx
Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
In two months of travel this summer we got one “no.” And that was the one we sent advance pics to.

Usually you don’t want to stay at those high brow places anyway, and it isn’t just skoolies getting turned down.

At least in my experience if you roll in and they have space and you have a positive attitude and don’t look like you’re going to be somebody that’s going to be a pain in the neck for them, everything goes smooth as can be.

If the person at the counter is a decision maker and you pass the gut check they will wink at policy. If you don’t, getting pissed will only make it worse.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #16
Bus Nut

That is very true - I was only turned away once in person - but that was the very expensive RV resort - and I was not resort worthy. But not making a scene is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
In two months of travel this summer we got one “no.” And that was the one we sent advance pics to.

Usually you don’t want to stay at those high brow places anyway, and it isn’t just skoolies getting turned down.

At least in my experience if you roll in and they have space and you have a positive attitude and don’t look like you’re going to be somebody that’s going to be a pain in the neck for them, everything goes smooth as can be.

If the person at the counter is a decision maker and you pass the gut check they will wink at policy. If you don’t, getting pissed will only make it worse.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
I was at a campground with my bus before conversion on the way home after buying it. The guy at the gate let me in no problem but in the morning a lady approached me about it. She said it was ok because I had a tent set up but said I’d probably have problems getting in with it because it’s not RVIA. So next time I have a problem, the bus will be my transportation and the tent will be my camping unit.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:03 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
RVIA - Recreational Vehicle Industry Association.

When asked if your RV has this, they are basically asking "is this a factory designed, engineered, and built RV?" "Professionally converted" usually denotes "Was this done by a shop/factory that meets RVIA requirements?"

It's sort of the RV equivalent of asking if a car/truck meets all DOT requirements, and in the RV world, it also encompasses all electrical and plumbing codes too, thus passing a "building inspection" of sorts.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:33 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 6 Cyl Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 46
90% of all converted Skoolies are 50 times better quality then the tin can RV's that are being manufactured today. My guess is RV junkufactors are behind the push because people are realizing how worthless the RV's are made and they are loosing money.

truth2ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the problem is at a lot of these places its all about LOOKS ONLY... just like at car shows.. I stopped building HotRod cars because any amount of engineering marvels made under the hood completely were eclipsed by a single Flaw in the body work. if you couldnt do your hair in the paint shine they laughed at you.. regardless of the fact you built a completely custom engine, fully Glass dash, and built your own trans controller from scratch...

I suspect the RV resort / Glamping world seems to be the same.. when I used to drive that 3/4 million dollar Bus conversion (professionally built brand new Prevost coach) on trips for my 2 friends each year (they bought it and had no clue how to drive it.. so it pretty much became "mine" to drive..).. pulling into one of those places to set up "camp" was almost like pulling into a 5 star hotel.. these resorts had pools, bars, restaraunts, and of course massive parking spaces for RVs.. it seemed it cost nearly as much as a nice hotel to stay at too...

im not one to camp without some comforts of home.. like my A/C or heat to sleep and not really into #2 in a bucket.. However when you cant even make a nice wood fire to cook on then I may as well stay in a hotel...

all of those RV's in the fancy resorts had RVIA and FMCA stickers on them...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote