Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
Skoolie

Where do you park your skoolie?

Where do you park your skoolie?

What's the location?
Do you have it at your house?
You have extra space for another skoolie? (help someone out)
Do you rent a spot or land?
Did you buy land?
What is size of area?
Hookups? Power, water, sewer, and wifi or phone?
How much do you pay for it?
Are you allowed to convert school bus to skoolie on property?
Do you know of a place that is open to a skoolie bus?
Are you looking for place for you skoolie?

There are people on forum who are looking for place to park their skoolie. Hoping this helps.

FYI - I am looking for a place to rent or buy to convert a skoolie. I'm open to a temporary new location for conversion.

Thank you in advance!

Old 11-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I rent covered storage at a U-haul center.. while the technical instructions say you cant work on stuff there... everyone does... a guy built a food trailer.. ive swapped 2 transmissions there.. in general if you dont leave a mess each night they dont care.. not sure id do a roof raise there...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I rent covered storage at a U-haul center.. while the technical instructions say you cant work on stuff there... everyone does... a guy built a food trailer.. ive swapped 2 transmissions there.. in general if you dont leave a mess each night they dont care.. not sure id do a roof raise there...
So not locked storage, but under carport for lack of a better term? Roof raise would be tough!

Thanks Christopher
Old 11-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I found someone who rented me space on her property. I've got electricity, but no water (yet). It ain't covered, but it is quiet.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I'll be doing it in my back yard as soon as i find my bus. I have to drop a chain link and stockcade fence to get in the back yard.
Mark carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm able to store buses on a friend's property. Hope to have my own land outside town when we finally sell the house.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:35 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Yeah it’s a gated lot but I’m guessing they might say something about roof raisexinless you made sure to clean up each day. I swapped 2 transmissions and don’t many other repairs there but I never leave a mess I may leave a jack under a bus or such but I clean up all my tools and materials and put them inside the bus or take them home. So if you pulled out your seats and took out the windows you couldn’t just leave them scattered about
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
so far

My bus and nearly all the stuff for the project have been stored nearly free of cost, unless the cost of the bits and pieces is included.

everything, except the lights, the wide fenders, and a bit of wiring harness at at the shop with the bus, the engine donor truck and the chassis donor truck. So far at no cost to me.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I found someone who rented me space on her property. I've got electricity, but no water (yet). It ain't covered, but it is quiet.
Silence is golden. I bet it's beautiful there.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:50 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark carr View Post
I'll be doing it in my back yard as soon as i find my bus. I have to drop a chain link and stockcade fence to get in the back yard.
Sweet!

@markcarr That's convenient.

@EastCoastCB That's my goal is buy some land some day.

@magnakansas You lucky dog!
Old 11-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

My first bus I just parked on the street, moving it every ten days because the city of Richmond, VA tows if you are parked for 14 days straight. After trial and error I found 3 spots I would rotate between and not get hassled. For working on it I would usually go to a truck stop and park pretty far from everything. I only have been asked to move along once by the owners, and that was when I was parked pretty near the entrance and had parts scattered everywhere for 3 days.
My last bus I was on the west coast, so I mainly parked on BLM land, which allows you to park for free for 2 weeks.
DeanyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 IH gas
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
I park on my 150 acres.

I have a hook up by my shop where I built the bus with electric and water.

I have a dedicated hookup under some oak trees with water electric and septic near my older smaller house and my son lives there now.

I have moved from one house to another one on my property and plan to put in another dedicated hookup near my present house.

It's nice to have a space for friends to crash when we race on weekends. They live about 3-4 hours from here and it's another two hours to track so it's a nice place to rest for a few hours before they head back home.
One of my Buddies followed my lead and converted a 1 ton GMC short bus to an RV and he uses it to tow his race car and go to the beach.
https://www.pettypb.com/bus
Vern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
im in central jersey and i am parked and work on my bus in an old garage rear lot as a rental.
myself and another reside there without asking, been there for 2.5 months so far. I'm too looking to purchase some land to do alternative living projects. in the meanwhile im looking for a spot to park and continue work on skoolie in the New Port Ritchie Fl area
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern1 View Post
I park on my 150 acres.

I have a dedicated hookup under some oak trees with water electric and septic near my older smaller house and my son lives there now.

I have moved from one house to another one on my property and plan to put in another dedicated hookup near my present house.

It's nice to have a space for friends to crash when we race on weekends. They live about 3-4 hours from here and it's another two hours to track so it's a nice place to rest for a few hours before they head back home.
One of my Buddies followed my lead and converted a 1 ton GMC short bus to an RV and he uses it to tow his race car and go to the beach.
You want to adopt me for the winter? I used to live in Houston and I've been to Bastrop State Park close to you.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #15
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern1 View Post
I park on my 150 acres.

wow!!! nice!!! TX definitely in my plans!!!! save me a spot!!☺😊 ! i have generator and inverter and running water by end of month! skoolielife!
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #16

Hello, if you are ever in york pa, park it here 1650 parkview rd, 2.5-5 wooded acres to yourself leased, i have 230 watt solar panels for 100$, can install. wood stoves welcome
Cap7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #17

Year: 1988
Chassis: International
Engine: 3800 DT 466E
Rated Cap: 65 passengers
Looking for somewhere to park and convert come April '19. I'm in the Colorado Springs, CO area. Also paying for storage currently and possibly looking for a better storage solution if converted or indoors. Anyone have leads or know of anything available in Springs or Denver?

Thanks!
Dognose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanyOscar View Post
My first bus I just parked on the street, moving it every ten days because the city of Richmond, VA tows if you are parked for 14 days straight. After trial and error I found 3 spots I would rotate between and not get hassled. For working on it I would usually go to a truck stop and park pretty far from everything. I only have been asked to move along once by the owners, and that was when I was parked pretty near the entrance and had parts scattered everywhere for 3 days.
My last bus I was on the west coast, so I mainly parked on BLM land, which allows you to park for free for 2 weeks.
Where were you most successful with BLM land? Where did you like to go?
Old 11-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #19
Bus Nut

I’m looking for someone to helpOn the farm- we have space for parking and living quarters- San Benito California
What work skills do you have??
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: MicroBird
Engine: 7.3L powerstroke
Looks like you are in Riverside area... I've never stayed for more than a couple days or so, but there are a couple places not too far from you to check out. The Quartzite area has alot of snowbirds from up North and Canada that stay in the area for cheap or free.... And of course there is Slab City South of Palm Springs by Salton Sea (aka... the "Last Free Place on Earth" where there is a whole community of Skoolie, RV, and other mobile or alternative living situations.

If you're not familiar with it, search YouTube for Slab City, CA... Pretty much still the wild, wild West and no rules/regulations. Some come and go as they travel, others have lived there for free for decades. (Primative... No water/electricity services)
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote