Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #121
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
Found the beer

I think they have plenty

sorry fixed it

Old 02-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #122
Bus Nut

spent a few days hanging out in Houston, with Tango - what a great host. Learned more about the city in 2 days than I learned the 2 years I lived in Texas. Was treated to a few marvels, and a new perspective. Also got to meet M1031A1, and see his rig, and I thought mine was big? Can't wait to come back this way.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #123
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Damn I miss texas. I am from Kilgore,tx and my wife is from robstown and we met after me playing marine in n.c. And want to get back home
Is why the Jolly Roger is in creation
To get to texas and have somewhere to live while we find and build what we want?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:48 PM   #124
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Everyone should post some vids, its a GREAT way to see who you're chatting with all this time!
You both seem like real good folks, cool video!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #125
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Nice bus...but who is that old man!?

Really enjoyed meeting you Dred and you are welcome to hang here anytime bud. Free water & electric with no fees. Likewise any other traveling Skoolies. We gotta' stick together and look out for each other..

We few, we band of brothers. For any man who has gone down as stupid a path as I, is indeed my brother.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:55 AM   #126
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Well said Tango. People that spend the time and effort to do the difficult job of transforming a discarded vehicle into something new and useful need to stick together.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:35 AM   #127
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Dred,

Thanks for opening up your skoolie. Took away some new inspiration for my build. Trust me when I tell y'all right now Heavy is like driving a 55 gallon drum empty while chipmunks scamper over it and throw acorns at it... VERY echoie inside. Still can't get over how quiet your bus is just 250 feet or so from an area where three major interstates convene in Houston.......

Keep livin' the dream!

M
Old 02-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #128
Bus Nut

Ya know, I understand that we have some small get-togethers occasionally in this community, but I would like to suggest we have some REAL, mega-meetings, where we can spend a week or two, hanging with like minded folks, and learning the massive amount of stuff we can share in a few hours VS. years spent typing. I was truly inspired by the RTR a few weeks back - it was REALLY well done, and the only expense was fuel to get there. I think if we can arrange a region - one that a majority of folks can agree on, we can also put something interesting together.

Maybe I should create a new thread for this?

Check this video below for a taste

https://vimeo.com/152125842
Old 02-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #129
Bus Geek

Outstanding vid...thank you Dred! And I totally agree we should begin planning some similar location/getaways/hideouts just for us Skoolies. To Hell with the fancy, schmancy, "we don't want skoolies here" RV resorts. We don't need'em if we start our own circuit and ban all the storebought rigs.

Could be fun.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #130
Bus Crazy

Dred,

I agree. Problem for me is my build isn't "finished" to the point of being road ready for such an adventure. Looking at small scale solar and wind electricity to supplement a diesel genset isn't cheap (especially when you have zero dollars to spend). I have so many ideas floating around in my head sometimes even writing them down is an effort in futility. But I enjoy learning what others are doing/have learned from their experiences. I'm all open to the idea of all of us getting together somewhere and sharing what we've learned!

Anyone care to take the ball and run with it?

M1031
Old 02-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #131
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Dred,

I agree. Problem for me is my build isn't "finished" to the point of being road ready for such an adventure.

Anyone care to take the ball and run with it?

M1031
Sorry, I do not see this as a problem. In fact, the RTR was composed of nearly 1/2 attendees not even having a "vehicle" yet - they were mostly vandweller-hopefuls, not skoolie-hopefuls). So near 1/2 the attendees were there in a car/truck/RV/tent, trying to get a BETTER idea how to what they THINK they are going to do. I may have even converted some vandwellers into skoolie dwellers after seeing the MASSIVE amount of space, and finding out I get better mileage than many vans.

So MY idea about a get together is really not a "Skoolie-Show", as the RTR was nothing like a "parade of vans". It was ideas, and how-to's, and conversation. So bring your tent, and let's talk about your project (maybe bring a tablet with your pics on it?) or hell, bring your striped-down bus with a cot inside, and massive beer? Think how much beer and firewood you can get in that damn thing?

Seriously tho, seeing all the show-quality conversions would be just icing on the cake, but not the goal - the goal would be the people and ideas, in one place - sharing.

And I would be happy to start this unless someone has done it before, and knows how to do it well?
Old 02-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #132
Bus Crazy

Dred,

Since you nominated yourself, I'll second the motion. Hey Tango care to cast the deciding vote to carry the motion?

Since I've never done this before, I'll defer to those who have (as well as those who have the time). I'm game for driving to wherever we meet up depending upon my schedule and having the ability to block out that timeframe.

I'd love to pick people's brains about a bunch of things I'm thinking about for Heavy.

WoHOO!!!!

M1031
Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #133
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Cool...road trip! "the goal would be the people and ideas fueled by massive beer, in one place - sharing fire wood" ....I'm pretty sure that's how I read it.

It would probably be best in the states..
...beers $38.40 for a 28 box of Molson Canadian, just puttin' it out there.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #134
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD View Post
Cool...road trip! "the goal would be the people and ideas fueled by massive beer, in one place - sharing fire wood" ....I'm pretty sure that's how I read it.
please let me extend an official invitation to another "getit'er" to the first annual SkooliePalooza
Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #135
Bus Geek

I think this is just brilliant. It would be of tremendous value to the "starters" in the bunch as well as those who have yet to buy a bus. Having a few "in progress" and a few "finished" (if there really is such a thing) and some with their dreams just on paper would make for a perfect Skoolie Bootcamp. A place to both learn as well as review a lot of different concepts and various approaches to putting together whatever might be "right" to achieve any given individuals personal dream. And the "old-timers" would have an opportunity to learn from the newbies in the bunch. They are the ones probably closest to the most recent technologies and very likely, more savvy in that regard than myself by a mile.

Location would need to be relatively central and the timing would need to fit as wide a group as possible (maybe around a holiday or long weekend?)
And of course the most important consideration is that...it must be held somewhere that is not legislated as "dry".

So...where & when?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:09 PM   #136
Bus Nut

I only post the videos with a Skoolie in it
Wait for the Buffalo at the end

Old 06-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #137
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Buffalo like Redman!

Thanks for the vid!

How's your fuel leaks? Gone I hope.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #138
Bus Geek

Hey Dred...another excellent adventure pardner! --- Looks you have covered a bit of ground since we last saw you paddling the bayous and streams down in Florida. Please do keep us up on your travels. You are inspiring us all.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #139
Bus Nut

Fuel leaks gone. Oil.....well.......
Old 06-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #140
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
Fuel leaks gone. Oil.....well.......
Excellent!

I had a mystery oil leak, a weep really, turned out to be the turbo oil return line. Easy fix=new line.