Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Working on RV/Bus park close to Denton, Texas

Hi there fellow skoolies! I am nearing completion of my 1999 Bluebird. My girlfriend decided that she wanted to get an RV and find an RV park near Denton, Texas. And I thought it would be good to have a home base when I am in town. So we went out and looked at a bunch of parks/resorts around Denton, Texas.

What I found was that all of the parks/resorts had a waiting list between 20 and 80. I also found that most didn't allow school buses or rigs older than 10 years. There were two places that would allow them, and they were just strips on flat land that were reminiscent of Mad Max.

So, I have found some acreage in Sanger, Texas. Based on the survey, it would accommodate around 90 40' rigs. The plan is to have monthly, weekly and nightly for RVs with 50 amp electric, water, wifi and a section dedicated for boondockers, while still offering 20 amp service for extra. I would also offer a buildout section to offer fellow skoolies a place to work on their conversions, with full electric, facilities, a roof and tools.

The pricing I have come up with is as follows:
RV nightly - $35 (with electric, water, wifi and access to dumping)
RV weekly - $210 (with electric, water, wifi and access to dumping)
RV Monthly - $500 + elec (with water and access to dumping)
Boondocker nightly - $12 + elec
Boondocker monthly - $300 + elec
Buildout/conversion space monthly - $600

I would like some opinions and thoughts about this, as I am about to go into debt to make this happen.

Nomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: DT466E
Hopefully its zoned for such use? I have thought about doing the same thing so I will pleased to know if this works out in your favor
Cdimples67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
How much would insurance be?

I'm looking to start a bus co-op, but I wouldn't be making any money off it. The insurance is a killer though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
How much would insurance be?

I'm looking to start a bus co-op, but I wouldn't be making any money off it. The insurance is a killer though.
I have done some research, but I don't have a solid quote yet. Most of the liability would be passed on to the renters. But it looks like I would still have to pay a considerable amount to insure it. I'll let you know when I know more.

A co-op was my original plan. But I have to pay for it somehow. And since there's a need for it, it makes sense. It is still my goal to get it established and gradually get it to the point where the RVs are paying all the bills and the skoolie section becomes more of a co-op situation.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

The property I have found has no restrictions and it's in an unincorporated area. So, zoning will not be an issue.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
insurance was disheartening here in ohio.. I had found a nice shop / garage. i was going toi rent, among other things to build my school busses in, but also was going to allow others to come in and work on their busses..

insurance was easy if it was just for me and a friend to store a vehicle.. however if I wanted to run it as a legit business (which i would need to in order to accept any compensation).. then it got prohibitive.. and talking to my business attorney even if I ran it "under the table" and everyone who came in were "my friends".. if anyone could prove in any way that they compensated me in any way for use of the space , then the insurance would deny the claim and while I might not be held directly liable it could be a big ole court mess..

all woul;d be good as long as nothing bad happened.. but all it would take is damage occuring to someone's vehicle, a fire, a flood, etc and a person saying "I gave him some batteries and bought his pizza every week" " oh ands i signed this thing that says he isnt liable".. which really can make me lianble unless I ran and insured it 100% legit.

I dont know about your area but some areas have very strict limits on any type of "temporary residency".. some as little as 2 weeks and you have to stay away for 2 weeks, then can come back for 2, etc.. so it pretty much eliminates those lopng-termers which often are great sources of reliable income..

plus is there draw in the area in which you want to run your park? hiking, biking, fishing, cell service, sightseeing..

RV parks in florida draw the snowbirds,golfers, and beach-goers.
RV parks in WV draw the hikers, mountain bikers, river rafters, hunters, and winter-sports crowd depending on season..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote