Old 06-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L GMC Diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Floor going in

I stayed up late last night getting the floor framed out and putting in the first sections of insulation. Its coming along well and now I'm getting to the fast part. Used up the last little bit of my weekend, but should be in a good place to keep chipping away at this after work each day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floor Insulation 1.jpg (62.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Floor Insulation 2.jpg (54.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Floor Install 1.jpg (48.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Floor Install 2.jpg (61.6 KB, 3 views)
AKshortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKshortbus View Post
Those blankets look pretty nice, my girlfriend bought me some Pendleton blankets (super cozy and warm). Since its summer I have coughed up the money for a heating unit (prioritizing other purchases) but I plan to get a diesel heater and store near the back of the bus in a spot I'm building at the end of the bed. Since the bus runs on diesel I figure I'll always have some fuel nearby

Where do you winter in MT? I used to live in Big Sky (pre-bus) and it get's wicked cold in December. Kudos for making it work, I'm striving to get this thing as ready as it can be for next winter!
Pendleton blankets are superb! I'm in Billings (the BIG city). Rent in this town is obscene! What you can afford isn't worth living in and what you'd like to live in you can't afford. So, after Dad died, with my share of the estate, I shelled out $8K and bought Brunhilde. Drove her here from Kankakee, IL, paid two kids $340 to strip the seats, laid out $700 for carpeting and lino, $300 for a custom bedframe and she's become a work in progress.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

A good sleeping bag will keep you warmer than blankets in cold temperatures. Have you seen the Cubic Mini or the Dinkinson wood stoves?
DWJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L GMC Diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJoyce View Post
A good sleeping bag will keep you warmer than blankets in cold temperatures. Have you seen the Cubic Mini or the Dinkinson wood stoves?
Joyce, I have seen some pretty rad "sardine can" wood stoves that don't take up too much space. It just comes down to having to lug around a bunch of firewood (which is also a problem crossing to/from Canada) and the ability to regulate heat.

I think the diesels do a great job, you set the temp you want them to maintain and they do the rest! Besides, I'll be carrying a couple gallons extra diesel fuel for the bus, if the heater runs out I'll have that covered too.

I have a -20 deg. sleeping bag that definitely came out this spring as I was driving the bus north to AK in March
AKshortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKshortbus View Post
Joyce, I have seen some pretty rad "sardine can" wood stoves that don't take up too much space. It just comes down to having to lug around a bunch of firewood (which is also a problem crossing to/from Canada) and the ability to regulate heat.
I am planning to get a Cubic Mini when I start kitting out my dream bus. I'm hoping that burning those bricks of sawdust that you can buy at various gardening centers and box stores will keep the state line Firewood Nazis off my case.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
The hippies in the sixties would get the smallest stove they could find and often burned about three charcoal briquettes at a time in an insulated bus. Most wood stoves are kind of intense for a bus.