Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
03 Chevy cut-away bus advice

Hello everyone! It's my first post - hopefully this is the right forum.

I've been trying to soak up all the knowledge here for some time as I've been looking to build a short bus as a camper. A number of busses will be selling shortly shortly, all Chevy G3500's with the 6.0L gasser, 5-rows of seats, dually in the back, some with and some without handicap lifts. They have between 80,000 and 125,000 miles, depending on the bus. They appear to have a Collins body, which to my knowledge gives better headroom than others.

From what I've read, the Chevy 6.0L gassers are good engines, and the front suspension is better than some others of the era (like the Fords). Is this right?

Best I can tell, the tires are pretty worn, so I know I need to factor in some $$ before too much longer. I plan to go check them out on Wednesday to see how the engines run, look at oil and coolant, check for tire condition and rust in-person, A/C and heat, etc. Anything else in particular I should be checking for?

If they are in good condition, what would be a fair price for one? I'm hoping for one without a lift.

Thanks for sharing so much knowledge here, and hopefully if this works out, I'll be able to contribute as well!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
Hello everyone! It's my first post - hopefully this is the right forum.

I've been trying to soak up all the knowledge here for some time as I've been looking to build a short bus as a camper. A number of busses will be selling shortly shortly, all Chevy G3500's with the 6.0L gasser, 5-rows of seats, dually in the back, some with and some without handicap lifts. They have between 80,000 and 125,000 miles, depending on the bus. They appear to have a Collins body, which to my knowledge gives better headroom than others.

From what I've read, the Chevy 6.0L gassers are good engines, and the front suspension is better than some others of the era (like the Fords). Is this right?

Best I can tell, the tires are pretty worn, so I know I need to factor in some $$ before too much longer. I plan to go check them out on Wednesday to see how the engines run, look at oil and coolant, check for tire condition and rust in-person, A/C and heat, etc. Anything else in particular I should be checking for?

If they are in good condition, what would be a fair price for one? I'm hoping for one without a lift.

Thanks for sharing so much knowledge here, and hopefully if this works out, I'll be able to contribute as well!
Those aren't NEARLY as expensive as real bus tires.
the 6.0 gasser is as good as it gets in a van.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #3

Thanks! Wednesday morning I will go see if one of these is worth buying!

If anyone has any other tips or things to watch for, please let me know.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #4

It looks like I found a 6 window bus that best we can tell is in great shape mechanically at just over 100K miles. The 6.0L engine purrs like a kitten, and the trans shifts very smoothly. There is one small rust spot that's not deep, the frame and undercarriage look amazing for 15 years old, and there's a possible VERY minor roof leak above the emergency window, but otherwise it looks real nice.

Thoughts on what this may be worth? I'd only be driving about 20 miles to get it (there's no real expense in picking it up), so that's worth probably $500 more to me than any other bus I may find. Is $4500 too high? I'm thinking that's reasonable.

Thanks in advance! Hope to have a skoolie to start working on soon!

Tags
2003 chevy, buying advice, short bus