Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
07 Chevy Express Thomas Minotour AC

Hi,

I have a 2007 Chevy Express-based Thomas Minotour 5 window bus. I am trying to figure out the AC system. I’d like to remove the bus AC to make room for tanks. I’m trying to determine what’s involved with doing this. Any help from someone who has done this, or decided not to for some reason, would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Danjo

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Hello,
I have a 2007 Chevy express short bus and it has a rear AC unit. I'm leaving mine in for now as it still works good. What tanks are you making room for?
Old 05-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I just got a 5 window, haven’t even gotten it home yet and friends want AC! I said then give me $600 for a mini split. Many say they are the best Skokie AC option. Of course then I need a generator too.
Outlawfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I’m going to be adding fresh and grey water tanks somewhere. I’m also going to (tentatively) shoehorn a black tank in on the very back driver’s side. I was thinking that space where the condenser is now would be good for the propane and (maybe) generator.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Hi,

I have a 2007 Chevy Express-based Thomas Minotour 5 window bus. I am trying to figure out the AC system. I’d like to remove the bus AC to make room for tanks. I’m trying to determine what’s involved with doing this. Any help from someone who has done this, or decided not to for some reason, would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Danjo
Hi all,

So to sort of answer my own question, it depends on the bus. It depends on what the school district ordered. In a nutshell, it can be integrated with the factory “cab” AC, replaced entirely, or run parallel to the factory AC with dual compressors and evaporators.I still haven’t figured out which I have. I guess that will come to be known when I replace the turbo. :/

Here’s some good info for Minotour owners. This is the manual that covers Vandalock, AC, interlock and passenger accessory.

http://www.matthewsbuses.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Minotour-Service-Manual-2018.pdf
Old 05-11-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawfarmer View Post
I just got a 5 window, haven’t even gotten it home yet and friends want AC! I said then give me $600 for a mini split. Many say they are the best Skokie AC option. Of course then I need a generator too.
Yeah, there’s some good hardware there to repurpose. Seems to me that a little motor could drive an additional compressor that drives the same condenser/evaporator. Just spitballing here.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I’m going to be adding fresh and grey water tanks somewhere. I’m also going to (tentatively) shoehorn a black tank in on the very back driver’s side. I was thinking that space where the condenser is now would be good for the propane and (maybe) generator.
I'm not sure how much different my Collins is different underneath... But I'm mounting a 27 gallon blackwater tank right behind the fan units (condenser I think?) And then mounting a grey water tank right behind the rear axle. My fresh water tank is going inside I believe... It took me awhile to find that large of a tank shaped like it is. But fingers crossed I hope it all works! They aren't mounted yet!!
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Collins 6-window
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: 6.0L
Hey @Danjo, did you ever get that AC unit out?

I’ve got front and rear on my Chevy Collins 6 window tied to one compressor. Ouch. Local mechanic said he’d love to tinker with the project, but it’d take time and $$$$. Probably best to leave it... except I was so close to getting all of the wiring pulled from the above-driver unit, all but AC removed. Was so looking forward to finally yanking that stuff out.

So, where did you land?

Also, I’m willing to learn and take the time to figure out the AC mechanics on my own, I just want it all OUT of the interior so that I can finish gutting and start moving on design. I just don’t want to do it if it’s not possible.
veglorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I didn’t remove the evaporator. Mine mounts on the back wall above the emergency door, so I’m just going to trim around it and make it so I can pull it to service it.

I removed the condenser. That was the easy part. I found a Firestone that reclaimed the refrigerant for $20! Then I traced down the wires, labeled and removed them from the terminal block. I cut all the zip ties and removed the clips holding it to the frame. I disconnected the high and low pressure hoses from the condenser and unbolted it, lowering it down on a floor jack. That last step is better with a second person.

I’m going to put mine back on the opposite side. I’m going to mount the condenser in a few weeks. Still need to work out a hose extension.

After a little trip through the desert in 100+ heat, I decided I’m definitely keeping mine and wish I would have incorporated a mini split into the build too. Since you’re already well on your way to removing it, find someone to recover the refrigerant and then pull it.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Aha, thanks for the update!

I’m coming to terms with the reality that I will save at least a couple weeks on this project, and likely a few hundred bucks at minimum, by just keeping the damn thing. Sigh.

I get hung up on the idea that I’ll typically be driving by myself, so I’ll only need front AC, and the rear Carrier unit is a major gas guzzler. I wouldn’t put it in park and idle to run the AC by myself, would I? And by would I, I suppose I mean, would you?

(The context is that I’ll mostly be on the north coast of California where AC is a rare and usually unnecessary luxury.)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by veglorde View Post
Aha, thanks for the update!

I’m coming to terms with the reality that I will save at least a couple weeks on this project, and likely a few hundred bucks at minimum, by just keeping the damn thing. Sigh.

I get hung up on the idea that I’ll typically be driving by myself, so I’ll only need front AC, and the rear Carrier unit is a major gas guzzler. I wouldn’t put it in park and idle to run the AC by myself, would I? And by would I, I suppose I mean, would you?

(The context is that I’ll mostly be on the north coast of California where AC is a rare and usually unnecessary luxury.)
When it’s screaming hot and my dog is melting it seems worth it
Old 12-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Have you read the “Don’t Remove Your AC” thread?
Old 12-24-2020, 08:42 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I have... I’ve had the good fortune of only ever living in places where AC has never occurred to me, and I’ll be one of the more stationary skoolie dwellers. Alas! The internet wins, I have to keep it.

Tags
air conditioner, thomas minotour