Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1947
Chassis: ford
Rated Cap: 36
1947 shortie. lots of questions, any ideas?

hey y'all. i just got a 1947 ford shortie that i plan on making into a party/chill with friends bus and i had a few questions.
how do i find out what kind of body it has? all i know is that it was made in 1947 and that ford made the chassis and the front end
would kind of alternator would i put in to bring power to the batteries from the engine?
how would i fabricate a door or who could i get to do it?
whats the best way to get the dents out of the top?
any suggestions on how to get new windows? i only have the 2 of the frames?
any other random tips you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. i am really new to this but really exited.
oh and btw i am putting in a ford 394 engine with a 4 speet tranny and a completely new front and rear end that im getting from the guy i bought it from.
thanks
josh

http://yfrog.com/5pimg00171jx
jrhoades10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: 1947 shortie. lots of questions, any ideas?

yeah, thats what im hoping to do. make a bus where me and my friends can party it up and hangout, possibly a roadtrip or two.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

yeah, i am planning on getting someone else to do it for me who knows what they're doing, i might have been able to do it but its a weird curve so im gonna need help. the windows are odd. they aren't like normal bus windows, they slide into the body panel, so there's a gap from the window to the floor on each side of the bus. and for the dents in the roof i was planning on just taking off the headliner and beating and or pushing out the dents and then finding a way to smoothe it out. the engine, from what i've looked up, its a 350 bored and stroked to a 394. but its a v8 out of some hauler. but it is a full engine/tranny that worked the day he pulled it out, (like 2 days ago) the guy we got it from gave it to us with the bus because we traded and we all knew it wasn't a straight across trade.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

ok, heres all the pictures i have, and i'll have to chenk on the motor, now that you put it that way it does sound pretty dumb. haha. i actually just got the bus delivered yesterday, and boy do i have my work cut out for me. its gonna be quite a bit, so i'll probly by comin to you guys every step of the way. along with my gearhead friends. haha.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Bus Nut

sweet project

If it was an old dodge I'd offer to buy it and solve your restoration challenges

depending on your skills and abilities you might want to consider puting that body on a newer chassiscomplete with modern driveline, suspension, brakes and steering. I'm thinking something like a ford f450 that has been rolled over, just swap the body and have a super cool bus with modern everything that is easy to get parts and service for.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

wow, that would be amazing. does anyone know how i would even start to go about that or even how i would find out what truck would fit?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Bus Nut

measure the wheelbase of the bus, front tires straight ahead, measure from the center of the rear wheels to the center of the front wheels on both sides, the average distance in inches is your wheelbase, measure the frame width, outside to outside, measure the front and rear frame overhang, from the center of the wheels to the end of the frame. draw a stick figure picture of the frame with the aboe dimensions, then visit your local truck dealers and have a sales person help you find a 1 1/2 or 2 ton chassis with matching dimensions for front overhang, width, wheelbase, rear overhang in that order. tire size and capaity can also help identify the weight class of the chassis requirements.

Tyically once you get into a chassis larger than 1 ton the frame rails are straight front to rear and all of the modern frames are the same width, front overhang or axle setback might create some challenges if they are to long to locate the bumper where it's visually correct, the wheelbase can be adjusted by moving the rear axle and suspension forward or back and haing the driveshaft modified, shorter is cheaper, the rear overhang can be cut off or added to with basic fab skills. once your sales person has helped you identify what you want/need it's time to get your insurance agent to point you in the direction of the vehicle salvage auctions and start looking for your desired chassis preferably a rollover that the body/cab is trashed and the frame/driveline are good. stay away from fire and water damaged units, some repairable frame damage would acceptable.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

wow thank you so much. that is an amazingly thurough answer. it helps a lot. im gonna start looking into it. and actually the bumper location isn't going to be a problem because the bumper on the bus is bolted to the body as far as i can tell.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

ok, so i got all the measurements today. who do i bring it too? like, a used truck dealership? would they be able to help me at least find the make/models possible? and what would be involved in swapping the frames? would there be a lot of fabrication nessesary?
thanks
josh
Old 05-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Bus Nut

new truck dealers are going to have the printed sales literature, try a ford,dodge or gm dealer that sells medium duty trucks, larger than a pickup, if your bus has the same frame width that new trucks do the back should sit in the framerails and be a Ubolt type of mounting, thr front end will require some custom body mounts.