Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2016, 01:00 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
1972 IH Superior Shorty

It is time for a build thread. I went a bit over board on the intro. thread and started "build updates" there. Some good before pics there from when I bought it in California...

I took about 60 pictures tonight... and I have 3 in an album titled the same as the thread.

This seems like the best way to go.. ..
I will try to keep adding pictures to the album. I think I will eventually work them into the thread here as well.. Those are the threads I enjoy reading, so I will try to return the favor.

Learned so much from Skoolie that I was feeling guilt not telling you guys a good story in return for so much enjoyment on this end.

For now, check out the album, and I will try to add some more pics before bed.

crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:41 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcreekcabin View Post
It is time for a build thread. I went a bit over board on the intro. thread and started "build updates" there. Some good before pics there from when I bought it in California...

I took about 60 pictures tonight... and I have 3 in an album titled the same as the thread.

This seems like the best way to go.. ..
I will try to keep adding pictures to the album. I think I will eventually work them into the thread here as well.. Those are the threads I enjoy reading, so I will try to return the favor.

Learned so much from Skoolie that I was feeling guilt not telling you guys a good story in return for so much enjoyment on this end.

For now, check out the album, and I will try to add some more pics before bed.
Where are albums i use tapatalk sorry im new to this pls and thank you

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
jwrens1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:47 AM   #3
Almost There

Test run on album pictures with text

This is a detail of the bay window. Mostly a test run on the new pics I uploaded. Insulated walls between the sheet metal and the tongue and groove to bring the thickness out even with the chair rail. The windows go down inside the wall on this bus, so not much for insulation in the wall before...

MUCH better acoustics on the short test rides so far, and should be far warmer than the original test... California to Alaska. Couple cold nights on the latter part of the trip...

I liked the green paint and it was in pretty good shape. This picture actually shows about the worst of it.

I should have started with a different picture, but just glad that it looks like the picture thing is working... Also seen is part of the fold-a-bed-couch.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:49 AM   #4
Almost There

Hopefully you will see them here eventually...

I will try to pull them in as I write the "build".. but, at the top of the screen under "photos" tab.. you have to sign in, but I made my pics public..
Old 12-28-2016, 01:54 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcreekcabin View Post
I will try to pull them in as I write the "build".. but, at the top of the screen under "photos" tab.. you have to sign in, but I made my pics public..
Thank you completely different getting on skoolie website compared to using tapatalk but well worth it thank u i will have to work on getting an album together and get some stuff posted on the right forum's lol didn't know the rules and dove in head first when i first joined

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
jwrens1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Very cool looking bus, love the old round body lines of your ride.

The corner windows are a sweet option, any chance you can still get them or have them made if they got broken? Is it just flat glass?

You can repaint yellow without an issue? Can't be yellow here.

More pics pls.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
Almost There

So with the train of thought... Mechanically sound.. Then make it look pretty, I started on the drive train first. This was not easy. I love these motors, and have been through them before... Hard part is:
My shop is in Galena Alaska. This is off the road system. Check a map. I got it to Fairbanks after driving it up, and then had it shipped to Galena on a barge on the Yukon River. This as opposed to flying into town (Fairbanks) and working on it in a friends driveway with unfamiliar tools. It did run very nicely, but I didn't want it to "just run". I wanted to feel comfortable knowing I did everything in my power to avoid using my AAA. Better insurance to just keep going rather than have the ability to get somebody to tow you 300 miles. Sometimes in Canada, 300 miles is not close to anything... and it will be on the Alcan again if all goes to plan.

So I bit the bullet and shipped it to my shop so that I could take my time and not feel like I was forced to rush on my time off.
Here I can light a fire, work on it in winter... familiar tools, welder, etc...

This (above) view shows that I removed the battery tray and rewired with #2 welding cables. I purchased a hydraulic crimp tool and fancy heat shrink from town. Very pleased with the openness of the engine bay now. This idea came to me when the front clip was off. Also seen are the new parts: hoses - red and black... wires, coil, belts.. and anything yellow on the engine has new paint. New gaskets everywhere.

Here is the other side. Both wings of the butterfly hood open.
Braided oil pressure line. more shiney new stuff. The little bypass radiator hose (small 90 right off the t-stat) was original 1972... It was due.
I am thinking my "build" may be somewhat out of order as my pictures are very unorganized... But... I will try to keep an idea of the timeline in the text. More next time about the Skoolie yellow issue... when I put some exterior pics up..

Not really sure how I started with the inside of the back window... but... It is flat glass.. All the glass on the bus is.. I found one side window that is plastic, but it seems stock..?...
Old 12-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love superiors!!! of course believe it or not windshield defrosters were Optional on them.. I remember one in aschool as a kid had no defrost for the door or the right side windshield.. wowsers that was a cold bus!!

I have a plastuic window in my carpenter.. its not stock, but it was put in with the molding like it should be stock.. I have to replace it with glass...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #9
Almost There

This makes it look like I am making it worse...

I should have put these up first... this makes it look like I am going backward... This was the engine before the "make over".. I really like the battery re-locate for a generally more tidy engine bay...

Note the yellow paint on the little by-pass hose... Hard to change unless the t-stat is removed.. good for another 50 years now....
Old 12-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Almost There

Yellow???

(This is an email that I wrote to Alaska State Trooper... June 19,2015)

Brian,

I have a trivial question, and was given your name as you had recently dealt with a different school bus question.

Hello from Galena, AK. Skip to the bottom large, bold text if you are not in the mood to read my rambling.

Per a recent phone message I left for you, I got your email contact, and since I express myself better on paper than verbally, here we go!

My question is related to the portion of the Alaska Admin Code as it relates to a retired school bus in private hands.

Specifically the wording in 13 AAC 04.247 quoted below....

__________________________________________________ _____

13 AAC 04.247. Color and special equipment on school buses
(a) Every school bus used for pupil transportation must be painted National School Bus Chrome Yellow (National Bureau of Standards Color #1305). No other vehicle may display this color. A bus originally painted and used as a school bus which is no longer used as a school bus must be painted a color other than National School Bus Chrome Yellow before it may be driven on a highway or vehicular way or area. ..................

__________________________________________________ _____

I recently purchased the school bus pictured in the attachment. As you will note... It is very yellow! I have plans to pick it up in California and drive it home to Alaska in early August.

At the time of purchase I was aware that some states didn't approve of the yellow color, but I should have done more research on my home state.. ! ... Dang.

Anyway, down to specifics... The code indicates the color being... "National School Bus Chrome Yellow" and it even specifies the Color Number as #1305...

I understand the spirit of the law --- Basically we don't want anybody posing as a bus driver going around tricking children or parents... I agree entirely with that...!

I had already planned to remove all lettering from the back of the bus, and as the picture shows, the red lights have been swapped for amber and the signage has been removed from above the windshield...

I did however really like the yellow paint... and it kills me to paint over what really is a good paint job...
but I understand...
It is a 1972 model, and I was hoping to find some "historic" or "classic" loop hole, as it is obviously not a current fleet school bus .... but It sounds like that is a dead end... ? ...

My real question boils down to this: If I use a different yellow paint...
"Mustard Yellow"... "Canary Yellow"... "Dijon yellow"... Anything other than the VERY SPECIFIC yellow #1305 mentioned in the code, can I paint it a different color yellow?...

I could keep the label off of the paint can in the glove box... "This is not safety yellow... this is Dijon..." type scenario if questioned in future.

I would even be willing to paint "PRIVATE"... or "NO KIDS ALLOWED"... if that would help. Especially if I didn't have to re-paint the whole thing...

Any thoughts?... and if I am not allowed any yellow at all... Do you have a good color scheme idea?...

I joke...!!

Thank you for your time on what is obviously a TRIVIAL problem...

(signed...) --- his response on next post...
Old 12-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #11
Almost There

His response...

Hello (name). I actually received an identical question a few days ago. A woman here in Fairbanks actually purchased a bus and was doing something along the lines as you. I'm aware that the traffic laws state that the school bus that is not used for school kids anymore must be a different color.
However, in my 22 years as a state trooper I have never issued a citation for this offense. I have seen buses on the road that are clearly not use for school transportation anymore. But it's not something that troopers are actively looking for, and I would be surprised if any trooper would enforce that. Especially when efforts are made to remove all markings indicating that it is a school bus. The bottom line is: although the law states must change the color, I think you have gone above and beyond what the intent of the statute is. I would not worry about it. If you get stopped and get a ticket then I would probably contest the citation or just pay the ticket. I'm not sure what the fine is but paying the fine is probably a lot less than painting the bus . I suggest taking a wait-and-see approach.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 19, 2015, at 14:57,

(so.... wishy-washy... is the official Alaska stance on this)...
Old 12-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #12
Bus Geek

in OHIO.. if your bus is 25 year or older you can get a historical plate for it... any emergency historical vehicle can maintain all of its original equipment.. AS long as it has signs on all 4 sides of the vehicle prominent and visible that says NOT IN SERVICE..

they can be magnetic signs so they can be removed when the vehicle is parked off-street or in a show..

a lifelong trooper has the cruiser he patrolled in for 35+ years always refusing to get a new one.. he retired fron the force and they let him have or buy that cruiser.. which he took home every night and garaged during his whole career and even washed / waxed it.. I see that cruiser at various car shows or going down the road with the signs on it..

-Christopher
Old 12-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #13
Almost There

Dude... that is what I am talking about...

So... This is obviously not a current school bus...

Only a complete idiot would try to get on this bus to go to school...

(no short bus jokes please...)..

BUT... yellow is the right color for it...
I was really hoping there would be a "classic" status afforded for this type rig.

EXACTLY like you mentioned with the cop cruiser...

So far... 3000+ miles home from California AND (2) border crossings...
It has worked out like that... Everybody just gives the thumbs up.. no search at the border... Just "Wow, where did you get that?"....

Now if it was painted all hippy... (nothing wrong with that..) but, I bet the border crossing would have been different than just flashing the driver licence... (I do have long hair and a beard BTW)...
Old 12-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #14
Almost There

How did you get your bus delivered?...

Inland Barge lines... Tug is the "Ramona"... River is the Yukon...

Note the Scout on board... 3 vintage IH in town now... 2 that run!!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #15
Almost There

So.. If I can't get away with yellow.. this is nice..

(not sure where this pic came from...) If I have to paint it eventually, this looks pretty cool and retains the "look"....
Old 12-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #16
Almost There

#2 Pencil found...

I have a better picture of the pencil, but I got a kick out of the smallest #2 pencil I have ever seen... found in my heater box...

Seen here with my bus and my charger....
Old 12-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
School bus Yellow supposedly did not become the standard for skoolies until 1939, but apparently it did not take hold for a while. My 1946 was originally orange and I have seen a whole range of other colors as well on early buses. Seems to me any yellow other than the "official" one should technically be legal as long as all the other school ID is removed. But, that said, I have seen a bunch of custom/hot rod skoolies getting by with the original chrome yellow and all kinds of twists on the "school bus" decals. (?) Seems to come down to whatever you can get away with.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #18
Almost There

hmmm..

#14, #15, #16 were supposed to be comments on pictures...
oops...
Old 12-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #19
Bus Geek

my dad still has one of his Scouts.. bought new in 1980.. Turbo diesel.. 375K and still runs !
-Christopher