Hooooya! Update time! We've been on vacation, but busy.
Got the cab light put back in. Wired it in to the battery, so it won't be a constant use light.
Fan for the driver. This van has no AC in-dash...sooo.. gonna be warm unless we run the genny while driving.
New switches and buttons for various controls.
New additional fuse box. The original one is pretty sketchy and should eventually be replaced. This has a direct feed from the battery, so it's always on. Both good and bad, I guess. We'll see first time we need a jump.
Sweet logos still in place on both sides. STEP VAN.
Oh yeah. We also bought a '78 Vespa. Finally got it running after a new ignition system. The wiring harness is a mess so it's kick to start, stall it to stop. 4 speed, 200 cc. I'm kind of scared of it, but it'll look nice perched on the back of the Van.
My wife, caulking the top and removing some odd pieces of hardware. She didn't want to, but I insisted since rain was coming. It was all we did that day (Christmas, I think).
One nice hole, one ugly, for power and cable TV input. 1/4" aluminum is pretty tough to grind out. Hole saw wasn't nearly big enough so I nipped it out using an air tool with a metal removing head on it. Took a long time, VERY noisy, but it got the job done. Yes, I know I have too many wires.
Installed. Needs a little clean up, but not bad.
On the inside. Power is neat. Cable TV is just a cable wired in to the back. It's going to be a sad, annoying day if I ever have to replace that thing.
Start of a cabinet/desk with a fresh coat of poly on it. My wife's handywork.
My totally sweet power cable notch in the insulation. The shallow back-boxes we got are EXACTLY the same depth as the ribs, so they'll cover up nicely when the wall boards go in.
Another hideous hole. I'm embarrassed, but it gets the job done.
The result - nice outside power outlet. Looks like it belongs.
More flooring in, covered in paper and death threats should I get dirty footprints on any of it before it's sealed.
Drill press time!
Blurry photo of the gaucho bed frame. I'm thrilled to be working on this buildout at a metal shop and having a wife that can weld.
Fun photo - vibrations from sanding create little sawdust bubbles.
Things are going well now that we have a plan. 15 gallon black water tank is going inside soon with an exit out the rear. I, like a dummy, thought I could mix PVC and ABS, but alas, I cannot. Trying to find a good source for ABS at the moment. I need 3" (about 1 foot of it) and 1/2" for the sink and vent. If anybody has some spare sitting around and is within a few hours of Houston, I'll totally drive to it.
Other than that, I think we're in control of the systems. Power will be finished soon on the inside, cabinets are being built, and we're ready to wood-clad the interior.
Thanks for looking!