Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Re: 1973 Chevy Step Van Conversion

I used PEX in my build but found that it doesn't willingly make sharp bends. I ended up using the PEX for straighter runs and using reinforced clear plastic tubing for the bendy stuff. PEX is known for being much more freeze resistant than copper or PVC.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Chevy 350
Rated Cap: 2

Update time... and then I'll address the PEX VS FLEX BATTLE ROYAL!

These are the cabinets that will go over the wheel well.

Corner detail. My wife put a nice strip of wood to cover the plywood edges, reinforced the corners.

See, I do work too! Made a wooden 1/4 plywood cover for the breaker box. The metal cover was too big to fit in the space we needed. I'm still not sure if this is a terrible idea, or a really terrible idea putting wood in front of power. Hmm.

Flooring almost done. Just need to do the driver's area and the toilet area. They get something special (thick).

Trying to figure out what to do with the back door floor gap. Possible angle to a piece of flat bar screwed and caulked down. Then just a small rubber strip to keep the water out.

We're thinking of just strapping the doors shut semi-permanently. We're going to check with some of the food truck makers in the area since a lot of step vans are becoming food trucks and there should be a lot of windows and hardware from that.

Sampler of they grey stain for the floor. The putty came out looking weird, so we have to hit it with something other than poly. Looks kind of cool and will hide dirt well, I think.

Okay so Pex or no pex. What I'm seeing is that flex can fail under pressure. I have a pressure regulator that keeps me under 50 PSI, so I'm hoping to not have the issue of swelling that Glenn had. I think we'll try flex for now because it's a little cheaper and esier, but keep a watchful eye on it. Everything is very accessible for water, so it shouldn't be an issue to replace if we have to. I'm going to use 1/2" screw connectors hose clamped for all of my tubing, so hopefully that'll help with a nice, tight connection. Right now we're just looking at fresh water in from a city source through a T-connector, and to a sink and the toilet. It's all inside, so the freezing aspect of PEX doesn't really matter so much.

Thanks so much for the input so far! We're getting close, just need to score some sweet front seats and we'll be complete for equipment! Also still looking for ABS - anybody got about 6" of 3" diameter sitting around I can buy off of them?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
I'm going to use 1/2" screw connectors hose clamped for all of my tubing,
What is that? If you are talking about using this for pex, I think you are bound for failure. Worm type hose clamps won't
exert anywhere near enough pressure for pex, they also don't clamp round, especially on a small diameter.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

I'd use some sort of "Z" flashing on your rear door gap to keep water from getting under your flooring. That would be REALLY bad. Basically, one leg of the "Z" butts up against the end grain of the floor and the other two angles follow the floor out the back. Imagine you're water and think how it can get past your door seals and where it will go once it does. You approach the problem differently depending on whether you're going to seal the rear door or leave it functional. Use a good quality caulk to seal the cut corners of the flashing.

I do building maintenance and over the years I've come to view water as the enemy.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Roger & Double what Roach said --- you guys are correct in assessing that your rear door could be a source of many future issues. Plywood and water don't play well and trapping it between wood and metal is even worse. I like Roaches solution...seal the crap out of joint between the wood & metal floor...then cover the whole joint with rust proof or at least, resistant, one piece "Z"flashing that is also sealed watertight to both the ply and floor. Then I'd probably cover the whole arrangement with still more sealer.

And if the door is to remain functional, some time shopping weather seals will also be very well spent. And I don't mean the cheapo, Home Depot general purpose foam. Look through a few truck supply houses for some real door seal material. Any water you keep out will just make life on the inside that much better.

And...I have visited with Cargo Chris and the Blue Bird project out at Rice University...I'd love to take a look at your rig and swap stories/sources/whatever. Lemme' know if you are up for visitors. Is the truck still in the Heights? Just shoot me a PM if you feel like it. Like I said...I think there could be some real benefits if all the Houston area converters had an occasional confab over coffee or Coronas.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Quote:
I'm going to use 1/2" screw connectors hose clamped for all of my tubing,
What is that? If you are talking about using this for pex, I think you are bound for failure. Worm type hose clamps won't
exert anywhere near enough pressure for pex, they also don't clamp round, especially on a small diameter.

I can see the confusion! No, no PEX. I'm going to use flex hose, clamped to screw fittings, rather than clamping directly on to the water input, T-s, etc. I think that'll make it easier to swap it out in the future if I set myself up like that.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry for low quality. My wife just sent over the cage she made for the black water tank. We got a low toilet and built up a base for it over top the tank.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
Bus Geek

sweet...very handy wife
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

looks good! keep er up!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Nice job. keep her busy...
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

We're still here!

Got the floors all down, putty in, sanded, and stained. I really like how the grey stain came out, especially after a few layers of poly.

After poly. This does not do it justice at all, but that's what we got for always working on it at night.

End desk going in, seat back in, and the very nice white edging that Allie fabricated and installed to cover up the edge of the flooring.

Edging on the other side.

Cabinets starting to go in. Power box hides under the large piece next to the wheel well.

Everything cut in to the waste tank. Scary cutting in to that expensive piece of plastic.

Power is hooked up and tested. AC works, 12V system works, no issues in wiring.. big success

With the seat back in, we took it for a spin around town and it still handles like a dream.

We've got plumbing down, but have one last question - we need a piece of 3" pipe to run from the outlet of the tank to the output to the outside where the gate and everything is. It'll be about 2 or 3" long max. I can't find ABS at all... is it okay to just use PVC and silicon caulk the crap out of it (put it all around slide it in, put more on the outside) or am I asking for a leak? I'd rather cement it in, but PVC and ABS no like each other.

Thanks for looking and thanks for all the help!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Hey Guys --- I'm in the same boat. Just need a couple of feet of ABS pipe. Here is what I found as probably the best deal here locally. The Depot...

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/vpc-3-i...l#.UQP9d_Kbmzk
Old 11-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #33

any 'finished' pics??
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Home Depot sells a combo glue that is made to glue ABS and PVC together. I used it on my bus project and it works just fine. You will find that in time, silicone sealer fails to stay bonded to either ABS or PVC though sometimes there is no choice. In those cases a split collar and a stainless steel hose clamp helps the system last longer--best to avoid the problem if you can.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Hmmmm, Something very odd here...the post above with the pipe was NOT put here by me...Tango. What's up with that Moddies?
Old 10-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #36

Update?

Surely there is more to report! I am starting my own project, and eagerly await more.

Thanks!

RG
Kurbmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #37

great project start

hi just came across this on Pinterest and its exactly what I have been thinking of doing.
ill look at your post with great interest and looking to see what problems and solutions you come up with. Looks like the outside is in great shape.
Not sure like the geni on the front and thinking did you do the pluming before putting the walls etc up.i plan on putting a solar system on the roof on mine and maybe a smaller geni and ac unit on the roof.
anyway great job and thanks for sharing your project.
Brian
diybri2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #38

is there not a compression fitting with rubber seals in ,you could use.
something like this
diybri2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
yes it is called a tank bung. Agri supply has them
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote