Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Skoolie

1995 Chevy short bus

Finally getting started. Picked up our bus in Portland that we won on a Proxibid auction. Total cost with fees was $1900. When I got to the yard he battery was dead so I had AAA come out and put a new battery in. Used all my hotel points on the way home to New Mexico for free rooms. It’s a 1995 US bus with 110,000 miles on a Chevy 350 and was able to go 75 mph so not sure what tranny or gearing.

Took 3 days and lots of beer but we made it. Ran like a top the whole way home and averaged about 9 miles a gallon. Not bad and it’s pretty quite. It’s a US bus with wheelchair, so only had 3 seats to remove and all the ceiling panels were screws not rivets so that went super fast. I’ll post some pictures of the inside when I can. Have to remove the flooring still.

Found a company here that will spray foam the walls and roof for $800 so def going that route. I think it will make the whole thing stronger and quieter, as well as better insulated obviously. We will be traveling with dogs so I need it to be as well insulated as possible so they are comfortable being alone for hours at a time.

I plan on skinning over all 3 windows on the drivers side so we can have a toilet, small kitchen and some upper cabinet storage. The whole bus will be getting a paint job also so it should look descent.
Attached Thumbnails
E1DBCF04-B87A-4EA3-BCB5-1B623B7D1DBE.png  

Tstege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Skoolie

Forgot to mention already purchased a fantastic fan that will be replacing a small old roof vent. There was no escape hatch on top, I presume because there is the extra wheelchair door. Thought they all had them so I was pleasantly suprised to not have one. Also purchased a Dickinson propane heater to keep it cozy.
Tstege is offline   Reply With Quote