Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #241
Bus Nut

Old 09-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #243
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Good find,well done
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #244
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The aesthetics and paint job are second to none, Don.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #245
Bus Nut

Thanks CB! I passed your compliments to Mary, the real artist.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #246
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
She's really done a top-notch job. That bus of yours is an instant, iconic classic.
When I think of this site, its your bus that pops to mind.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #247
Bus Nut

A few weeks ago I took some inside the bus temps that might be of interest to some.

Sunny, cloudless day.

Bus in full sun, mid-day, sun overhead.

Ambient temp=97.

Bus entry door open, 3 windows open, no noticeable breeze. Roof vents closed.

Inside bus temps varied from 99f to 93f depending upon where I aimed the temp gun.

Roof (white) temp 104f.

Ceiling temp 96f-99f.

BB TC1000 (26') with OEM body and insulation. White roof and tinted windows.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #248
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
A few weeks ago I took some inside the bus temps that might be of interest to some.

Sunny, cloudless day.

Bus in full sun, mid-day, sun overhead.

Ambient temp=97.

Bus entry door open, 3 windows open, no noticeable breeze. Roof vents closed.

Inside bus temps varied from 99f to 93f depending upon where I aimed the temp gun.

Roof (white) temp 104f.

Ceiling temp 96f-99f.

BB TC1000 (26') with OEM body and insulation. White roof and tinted windows.
Trying to promote keeping stock insulation?

I just laugh at posts like this. Regardless of interior temperature, the radiant heat is just gross in a stock insulated bus.

Nothing like sitting there sweating and having to drink min 10 oz of water every 30 min to keep from getting heatstroke.

But look at me, I skipped a little bit of hard work.

Energy will just keep getting more expensive as time go's on. Insulation is the only investment in a bus that keeps paying for the life of the bus, and pays more as time go's on.

Just like in homes. There is no such thing as too much insulation.

I really like your paint. However this build is a perfect example of looks over function. All that effort you put into painting could have built a much better interior.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #249
Bus Nut

Nope, don't give a rats ass, just an observation.

Glad you enjoyed it but it wasn't for you, not everything is.

Built our bus for us, no one else. We love it.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #250
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
No butt hurt here.

You want to cook like a egg, that's cool with me.

The faster the better. Lol

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #251
Bus Nut

The old Onan from the 70's is still running well mechanically but has a ongoing, intermittent fuel delivery issue that I just can't fix and a new carb or kit is unobtainium.

I have been tossing it around for a while and instead of putting more money into the old, it's time for state of the art new.

Got a new Yamaha EF2000is and mounted it under the bus in the same spot previously occupied by Mr. Onan.
I have to bend over and grab the pull start but no big deal. Bend over again and hit the kill switch. This thing starts very easily and sooooo quiet!

It's fueled by an extension hose and modded cap from the onboard 10g tank, giving it 11g and a run time of 105 hrs. at 1/4 load.

It will run everything on smart throttle but the water heater, the space heater and the toaster oven, those need full throttle.

It weighs 44 lbs. (vs. 214) making it easy enough to pull out to change oil.

I did shield it from the elements on 3 sides, time will tell if I need to cover it while driving. The Onan wasn't covered on the sides and did just fine.

I still need to devise an exhaust extension to reach the stack, doesn't look too hard to do.

I blacked out the blue to help keep it stealth.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #252
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Changed user name.

Prepping for a 2 week bus adventure, plumbing the new Yamaha fuel supply with a small low pressure pump to provide a more stable gas supply. Using an adjustable regulator set a 1/2 lbs to start. Quiet power with enough poop to power any ONE large draw item at a time.
2kool4skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #253
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
The new gen Yamaha & Honda inverter rigs are pretty amazing. Especially when compared to what came before. Super quiet & fuel efficient. My EU3000iS Honda runs my 8000 btu a/c without coming off "eco-idle" as well.

Do be careful pumping fuel in from another source. They are designed for gravity feed and it is way too easy to over pump them and burn down the house. Some kind of float type cutoff would be a good idea. "Ol' Trunt was playing with a similar arrangement to extend the run time but I don't know what he wound up doing. Might be worth touching base to see what he discovered.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #254
Bus Crazy

Will do. I have a 1/4in fuel rated hose, clamped properly with a reg. that can go down to .5 lb. the cap is this one and has a good sealing gasket

Trunt...You there?
Old 10-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #255
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey 2K4S, Yop, I did a remote tank on my Yamaha ef3000iseb genny. I used a 3# pump with a sail switch and relay in line so if the genny stops the fuel is cut off. I also mounted the tank so fuel could not siphon. My genny had a goofy fuel cap/fuel gauge combo so I tossed the whole tank and went directly to the carb. Speaking of the carb, I discovered that I could make it over flow if I let the generator run out of gas while parked on a steep grade. I took the carb apart and determined that the float in an empty float bowl could swing down past 90 degrees which made it try to reposition the float in the wrong direction when I pumped in fuel. It would happily fill the engine block and the genny box. To solve the problem I put a stop in the bottom of the float bowl to keep the float drop at less than 90 degrees. My carb had a small vent tube at the top of the float bowl to release air pressure. It vented directly into the genny case--how dumb is that?-- so I extended it out of the case and genny box and onto the ground. It's only a 2/32" ID tube so of small value but better than nothing.

The only thing I'd be worried about with the cap filler you're looking at is that it leaves quite a head of pressure (weight) on the needle valve as well as a possible siphon situation. Let me know if I can confuse the situation further! Jack

I should point out that the red colored "gas"door is where shore power hooks up. The hole to the left by the jack handle is where the fuel filler eventually went. I also installed an automotive gas gauge sending unit in the tank so I could easily monitor fuel level.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #256
Bus Crazy

Ok, thanks for the info. My bus tank is low enough so no siphon, I did verify. If it could create a siphon, I wouldn't need the pump! HA!
I'm powering the pump off the 12v gen outlet, the gen runs, the pump runs..It only draws 2a of 8a available.

I'll finish the install tomorrow and let everyone (hopefully not the FD) know how it works. Hopefully the tiny float needle can resist .5psi.

Any comments are welcome.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #257
Bus Crazy

The pump I got is on it's way back to Amazon, very poor performance. Plumbed it lower than the tank and it couldn't push more than a few inches uphill. New pump with more oomph coming.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #258
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That's disappointing. Remember the feet of head to PSI conversions; if I did the math right 0.5 PSI of gasoline equals about 1.65 feet of head. I guess that means the 0.5 PSI pump should be able to lift the gas about 20 inches? (using a formula and specific gravity values from The Engineering Toolbox) I haven't studied pumps enough to know whether it would be 20 inches above the pump, or above the surface of the reservoir it draws from, or whether it depends on the style of pump.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #259
Bus Crazy

I removed the reg and it still didn't pump uphill more than a wee bit.

Also I believe I found the issue with the Onan. It has one of "those" pumps that works fine....for about 15-20 min then barely moves the fuel. Shut it down, let it cool and off she goes...For about 5 min. Repeat. new pump for that also on the way.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #260
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Don,

Looks like we have similar generators, but have gone about it from different directions. I started out with the yamaha inverter 2800 boost. I love the genny, quiet and fuel efficient. My problem was I couldn't keep it generating, traveling down the road. I believe the vibration and harsh ride of the bus, was too much for it. It will run on my car trailer, right in front of the front bumper of whatever vehicle is loaded on the trailer. So I went to a cck 5.0 onan. The old beast runs 2 AC's and runs great down the road. I did have a problem this summer with the fuel pump on it too. I replaced it with this one, and so far, haven't had a problem. I think I will pick up a second pump to just have on the bus for a backup.
Amazon.com: Autobest F4027 Universal Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive

On our bigger trips, I still bring my yamaha too. I use it once we are parked.

Good luck, I will be looking to see if you can resolve some of these issues.

Nate

BTW, great job on your bus. I love the paint job!!
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote