Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyLass View Post
So is WV- no SBY, stop signs, crossing arms or yellow flashers.
Ditto in NJ on the signs, arms and 8 ways. But, I plan on flipping the lights and wiring them into the turn and stop lights. But, just to be on the safe side, I'll probably make up blanks and put them on quick disconnects.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #152
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
According to the CHP (California Highway Patrol) officer that pulled me over, SBY is a no-no.
Did the nice officer pull you over for the color?
Did you get a ticket for the color?
Our bus has about 30 percent SBY left, I wonder if SOME yellow is a big deal?
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #153
Bus Nut

Our trip went well, no trouble. It was a short run, only about 100 mi. r/t. Pics soon.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #154
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
The only yellow I plan to leave is the arrow on the emergency exit and the "INTERNATIONAL" on the cab, and that'll be by using the vinyl letters as a mask

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #155
Bus Nut

From Cumminsengines.com

"When idling is necessary to maintain cab/bunk compartment temperatures, select the lowest idle speed possible (no higher than 800 rpm)."

My bus has an electronic idle control enabling me to choose any RPM plus it has another idle control that takes it up to 800 only.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:04 PM   #156
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
Our trip went well, no trouble. It was a short run, only about 100 mi. r/t. Pics soon.

This is Suzi the monster truck
Old 05-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #157
Site Team

Quote:
Did the nice officer pull you over for the color?
Did you get a ticket for the color?
Our bus has about 30 percent SBY left, I wonder if SOME yellow is a big deal?
It was a strange encounter. It was a truck enforcement officer. I passed him parked in a gas station. I was turning left and tried to quickly activate my invisible cloaking devise but it was too late. He followed me down a country road and pulled me over. He was just fishing but kept me for about 40 minutes. Looked at my registration and asked why I didn't have GVW listed. I said it was a motorhome. "But it's school bus yellow", he said. It went round and round. Then he wanted to do an inspection. OK. We check tail lights, brake lights, turn signals. Then he says to turn on my 8 way flashers. I think to myself, "This guy is an idiot, I've told him 5 times that it is registered as a motorhome." I again informed him that this is a motorhome. Nothing school bus related is hooked up. NO 8 WAY LIGHTS, NO STOP SIGN, NO STROBE, RED LIGHTS REMOVED FROM FRONT. But the bus is yellow he says. I GET IT!!! So this is how it went. He didn't give me a ticket but he did write up an inspection report.

I don't know that he pulled me over specifically because of the color but I know it was a contributing factor. I know your bus only has some of the yellow left. I don't think that would be a problem unless you ran into that same officer. It only takes one officer and usually it's the truck enforcement guys that know the vehicle code front to back and back to front.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #158
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

This is Suzi the monster truck
Love it. I've had 6 sidekicks and 6 samis. If this is too off-topic, I'd be happy to delete this and send in a PM.

What's your suspension setup? Particularly in the LCAs?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #159
Bus Nut

Front and rear Old Man Emu, 2 in lift.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #160
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
It was a strange encounter. It was a truck enforcement officer. I passed him parked in a gas station. I was turning left and tried to quickly activate my invisible cloaking devise but it was too late. He followed me down a country road and pulled me over. He was just fishing but kept me for about 40 minutes. Looked at my registration and asked why I didn't have GVW listed. I said it was a motorhome. "But it's school bus yellow", he said. It went round and round. Then he wanted to do an inspection. OK. We check tail lights, brake lights, turn signals. Then he says to turn on my 8 way flashers. I think to myself, "This guy is an idiot, I've told him 5 times that it is registered as a motorhome." I again informed him that this is a motorhome. Nothing school bus related is hooked up. NO 8 WAY LIGHTS, NO STOP SIGN, NO STROBE, RED LIGHTS REMOVED FROM FRONT. But the bus is yellow he says. I GET IT!!! So this is how it went. He didn't give me a ticket but he did write up an inspection report.

I don't know that he pulled me over specifically because of the color but I know it was a contributing factor. I know your bus only has some of the yellow left. I don't think that would be a problem unless you ran into that same officer. It only takes one officer and usually it's the truck enforcement guys that know the vehicle code front to back and back to front.
Crazycal, what part of California were you driving? when the officer stopped you? do you mind posting a pic of your bus, just curious how it looks, could not find a pic.
J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote