Old 01-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: vortec 5.7
The fuse that keeps blowing is in the addon fuse panel which is after the relay. Thats where it gets weird the people at collins bus told me the master switch is what controls power to all of the fans in the bus ( like a master kill switch for all of them . How can something that is after the relay control whether or not the the relay has power when its the relay that powers it? The crude diagram below shows what im talking about. The little blue line is my jumper wire.
Attached Images
File Type: png Buswiring.png (9.7 KB, 4 views)
new2ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Most times when I've found myself thinking "this doesn't make sense" it was because I was making bad assumptions about what the circuit components were doing. Draw out a schematic of the wiring then confirm that it's actually doing what you think it is. A volt meter is indispensable for tracing power and continuity.
Not saying your schematic is wrong (I've seen some pretty goofy wiring in my time) but it doesn't make sense. It's time to go back and prove your version, step by step, or find out where it's wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ya View Post
How can something that is after the relay control whether or not the the relay has power when its the relay that powers it?
The obvious answer it that it can't. I'm betting heavily that the master switch is (or should be) attached to the relay and not the panel.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Double check your bulbs in the sockets. Make sure they are 12 volt bulbs. Make sure you don't have a double pin bulb in a single pin socket. I've seen it before.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Here's a schematic of how a normal bosch 4 pin relay is wired. The switch across 85 and 86 energizes a solenoid that connects 30 and 87 and sends power to the add on panel. From what you've posted, there's nothing wrong with the wiring up to the panel. If the fuse that's blowing is on the panel the problem is in the circuit after the panel. Trace the wire that's connected to the fuse holder and you'll likely find the problem.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Phatman are you referencing the amber lights not working?

Roach it gets even weirder , i got ahold of collins today and they sent me a copy of the schematics that they had on file for this unit. The wire colors the gauge wire, etc all seem to match factory specs. The schematic unfortunately does not show the master switch even existing. It also shows the stop sign with flashers ,dome lights, rear buzzer on the same addon circuit panel, but when i got the bus no fuses where in the addon fuse box and those 3 features worked. Ive since then sent them an email asking for schematics of the year prior and after just in case i was some sort of transition model.

I went outside tonight to do some work on the bus but man is it cold , my phone says its 5 degrees outside. I found the fuse that powers the relay but it was so cols i didnt even care to check continuity.

PS: I plan on sending you a pm about your build, i dont want to derail this thread.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Roach i was typing up my reply when you posted your diagram that matches the schematics i got from collins. But see my previous post , with this wiring nothing should have worked that was bus related It shouldn't have power without me bypassing the relay.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I think i may have figured out what has happened, i think someone else has done some rewiring. I think someone tried to bypass the bosch relay and they wired everything to the hot side of the relay. Some where in the mix they shorted the master switch causing a dead short. It appears they may have done this in vain because the relay isn't getting voltage to actuate in the first place. If i can track down the fuse to the relay im betting it is blown and will accurate. The only thing that doesnt currently work when i bypass the relay are the amber caution lights and legally i dont think i can even use them. When i get a day to look at it in the light ill apply 12 volts to the 86 connection and see if the relay works.