Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #41
Skoolie

Door

In my opinion and for my specific needs I would say it is a must. It makes the bus so much quieter, and much safer. I also like the peace of mind it gives knowing it’s secure and the dogs are safe. I think the door, boat hatch, and spray foam are are essentially to what I wanted. But my bus is made for traveling. I wanted something reliable, that got good mpg’s, and was comfortable.

Tstege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
It's looking great! I plan to pull most of my windows and out in sheet metal this winter after tailgating season is over. I picked up some 18 ga for it on Monday.

I noticed you removed the lower glass in the back door. I haven't decided on mine. It makes it nice going down the road if I have something strapped down on the back platform to make sure it's not coming loose. But I also worry about it getting busted out so I might remove mine. Why did you remove yours?
Old 10-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Ok, thanks, I like it. I think I’ll change my double doors and remove the windows also.
That lower rear glass is a liability on mine too. But may be changing the rear radically.
I found a small fiberglass “sleeper” cab from a heavy duty work truck that I’m considering attaching to the rear of my 4 window bus. It’s too small for actually sleeping in. Extra storage. It has two small doors on each side. A place for tools, oil, spares, etc I don’t want inside the bus. And the same surplus yard has a massively strong rear step bumper with two receivers. One for towing and one for a vice or other attachments.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #44
Skoolie

I removed mine for the same reason, security. Also our bed will be back there so won’t be able to see out any way. Plus a little more insulation never hurts.

Drove it 10 hours today, ran like a top doing 70mph and got about 12.5/13mpg. It did stutter a little once when I stopped after about 7 hours of driving, then it had a hard start Right after that. Drove 3 more hours with no issues though.

Hopefully I don’t have any issues.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #45

How is the bus doing? Really interested to see what's come of this build!
Hank Hill LPG sBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #46
Skoolie

The bus is good. Made it to Indianapolis. I have family here so the plan is to spend the next 3 weeks in my uncles wood shop finishing out the interior. It does have a slight radiator leak currently. Literally happened the night I pulled into town here. So before we leave I will be addressing that as well as some other preventive things (plugs, wires, fuel filter, pump, and anything else needed).

I will keep this updated as the build progresses
Old 10-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstege View Post
The bus is good. Made it to Indianapolis. I have family here so the plan is to spend the next 3 weeks in my uncles wood shop finishing out the interior. It does have a slight radiator leak currently. Literally happened the night I pulled into town here. So before we leave I will be addressing that as well as some other preventive things (plugs, wires, fuel filter, pump, and anything else needed).

I will keep this updated as the build progresses
Wow you’re on the fast path to converting your shorty. That’s great!
Auto parts stores have cooling system pressure checkers they loan out. You pay for the tool and get a full refund when returned. Have you flushed the cooling system yet? If not it’s a good idea.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #48
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel
Your build looks great! For me, that rig seems the ideal size, since I'm one persons alone, plus one not too large dog. Quick question. Most of the 'shorties' I've seen thus far seem to sacrifice a lot of bathroom/shower functionality relative to their larger siblings. What are you plans as far as either/both a toilet and a shower?

Thanks, and I'll keep an eye on this build.
Beachvbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #49
Bus Nut

I’ll second that question. I need to research options for bathroom and toilet for my shorty. As it’s a van chassis I don’t see a lot of space for tanks compared to a full size bus.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #50
Skoolie

Sorry for the delays. Been hanging with the family. My uncle and I finally got into the flooring and he was a huge help. My floor was a thinner metal so it had a few low spots in it. In order to lay plywood we had to fill in the low spots first. I used a recycled wool type thin insulation he had laying around as well as sound dreading tar backed tape from Home Depot this made a huge difference and has an R value. Not perfect but worked well. We then cut the pressure treated 1/2 plywood to size and fit it with a ton of liquid nails. Turned out perfect. Today we are doing a single sheet linoleum faux wood type floor and then I will start on the walls. My wife is busy installing 2” R10 insulation under the bus also. She is cutting the pieces with 1/2 inch gap on all sides fitting it with instant setting liquid nails then spray foaming the gaps. After we will spray truck bed liner on all of them.

As far as a restroom it’s not going to have one. We are installing a 40 gallon tank and a tankless water heater so we can shower on the back deck we are building. We are both wildland firefighters so going outside is natural for us If we are off grid camping. If we are at a campground we will just use the toilets there.

More pictures to come.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #51
Skoolie

Tar type tape underlay

Here is what we had before we payed the plywood down.
Attached Thumbnails
662FF932-4C14-4EBF-B33A-5077597E765A.jpg   D2BCC789-0E3C-4DB2-91E5-DB6BFCF39AFF.jpg  
Old 10-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #52

I really like the idea of putting insulation under the floor. Sounds like your build is really coming along!
Would love to see a pic of how you did the underfloor insulation. I've been thinking about doing something like this!
Old 10-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Scored 2 leather captains chairs with swivel bases on both of them for $58 total at u pull here in Albuquerque. There were a ton of other swivels on some older Chevy vans there too. Also found a RV oven and cabinet in town with counter top and sink so picking that up tomorrow.
Those seats are gorgeous!

I tried a pick-a-part place looking for captains chairs. When they wanted $5 for me to go out in the yard and wouldn't /couldn't tell me if there were any in the yard. I got frustrated and left....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Yikes, I was shocked when I went to pick and pull yard and they charged a entry fee. I saw there’s people who literally wheels around a wagon full of tools answering calls from people who looking for parts. Very enterprising.
Good progress on the shorty. Sounds like you’ve got a helpful family. Glad somebody does. Sounds like you’re doing a top notch job.
Every morsel of insulation helps. The floor will still be cold but not as cold. I know as my Motorhome has spray foam under it. Floor heat is the cats meow.
On my new project the inside needs remodeled so I’m going to line the entire inside with foam then cutout the window plugs. I’ll frame these and the plugs can be reinserted during cold or hot weather. A heat recovery ventilator is going to be needed for fresh air without loosing heat.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #55
Skoolie

More progress today

Here are the latest updates. Subfloor and actual floor installed. The wife worked on cutting foam for under the bus today. Supposed to have rain tomorrow so I’ll probably shop for wall and ceiling planks. Planning on just using 12ft cedar planks if I can find them locally.

The tape in the pictures was to help with the install and keeping it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
A742222D-681D-4084-940D-64A89A5E4A53.jpg   367DE20A-D2F7-429E-A60D-7F119EAB7302.jpg   53D54C0F-9208-4170-8863-2567B2A618B2.jpg  
Old 10-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #56

This looks so great!! Congrats on your build it's really coming along! Loving all these updates.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #57

I would love to see a shot of the u desire of the bus, and all the foam insulation. I would like to do it on my bus but don't even know where to start! Haha I guess I'll have to do some old fashioned research! Haha
Old 10-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #58
Skoolie

Thanks for all the input and feedback to everyone. Still trying to decide on how to panel ceiling and windows. I really like the ideas of just using 3/4” thick 12ft pine or cedar T&G normally about 6” wide. That would allow for almost no waste on my cuts for my walls, add some R- value, reduce more noise, and give me a really sturdy building surface. Only downsides I can think of are cost and squeaks?

Anybody have any input? Hoping to source some today and pickup tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #59
Skoolie

Sorry meant ceiling and walls not windows
Old 10-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #60
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Thanks for all the input and feedback to everyone. Still trying to decide on how to panel ceiling and windows. I really like the ideas of just using 3/4” thick 12ft pine or cedar T&G normally about 6” wide. That would allow for almost no waste on my cuts for my walls, add some R- value, reduce more noise, and give me a really sturdy building surface. Only downsides I can think of are cost and squeaks?

Anybody have any input? Hoping to source some today and pickup tomorrow.
Take a look at my short bus build... I used pine (cheaper) and we "white washed" it. I left the original ceiling insulation, (removed sheet metal ceiling) added furring strips. The added polyiso insulation (this left an air gap between ceiling insulation and polyiso) then I used really small headed trim screws to screw up the tongue and groove to the during strips. I really like how it turned out. I still have plenty of room to stand up and it is well insulated. On the hottest days here in Kansas there is no heat transfer (that I can feel by hand) to the ceiling. Much better than the original sheet metal ceiling...
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunroof hatch shorty