Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Year: 2006
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10 - Jasper/Ford Reman
2006 E450 Project (first timer)

Hey Everyone,
I make my living as a musician and the band and I were tired of traveling all around this country in a suburban, pissing away money on hotels etc. We decided to take the plunge into a "bus". The vehicle we just purchased as actually slightly converted already and we bought it off another band. It is a 2006 E450 V10. 185,000 miles. Both the engine and tranny were replaced this past year and there are about 15k on the new motor and tranny. It has been gutted and they set up some bunks already (more on that in a minute) and it has "shore power" which will be great for saving money by using it as a sleeper at KOA's when we are on the road. THe first order of business aside from cleaning it up and getting their band smell out of it so that we can stink it up with our own would be to make the lay out a little more comfy for the ride. They have 6 bunks set up 3 on each side. I actually want to remove one set and drop it to 3 bunks but run across the back of the bus (as opposed to on the sides. That would free up more "floor space" making for more room during the actual travel portion.

We plan to travel with 6-7 people. Figured 3 people can sleep on the bunks and the other 3-4 can sleep on the futons.

We will also be towing a fully loaded 6x10 trailer.

Please hit me with as much knowledge as you can. This my first post on the forum and will be our first go with a bus. Would moving the bunks how I suggested above be an issue? Thanks!

Attached are pics of the current set up.
Attached Thumbnails
bus 1.jpg   bus 2.jpg   bus 3.jpg   bus 4.jpg   bus 5.jpg  

bus 6.jpg  

theplotthounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplotthounds View Post
The vehicle we just purchased as actually slightly converted already and we bought it off another band. It is a 2006 E450 V10. 185,000 miles. Both the engine and tranny were replaced this past year and there are about 15k on the new motor and tranny. It has been gutted and they set up some bunks already (more on that in a minute) and it has "shore power" which will be great for saving money by using it as a sleeper at KOA's when we are on the road. THe first order of business aside from cleaning it up and getting their band smell out of it so that we can stink it up with our own would be to make the lay out a little more comfy for the ride. They have 6 bunks set up 3 on each side. I actually want to remove one set and drop it to 3 bunks but run across the back of the bus (as opposed to on the sides.
Welcome to the forums and good luck with your conversion! My biggest concern for you would be that it looks like they didn't really do much in the way of converting the bus. From what I can see in these pictures, it doesn't look like they took up the floors, wall panels or ceiling to improve the insulation, so it might get pretty uncomfortable in high and low temperatures. With regards to your bunking plans, I think turning the beds transverse will improve your layout, given you have enough width for that.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #3

Year: 2006
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10 - Jasper/Ford Reman
Thank you for the comment. I guess I did not really think about the insulation and how it might effect the temps. I figured the shore power and running the heat/AC off of that would help solve the problem when not driving but you are right, some added insulation should help!
theplotthounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I have a similar shuttle bus that I installed 2 futon bunks (couch on bottom that folds out to large bed, stationary 1 person bed up top). One is across the back (barely fits so measure before you buy). Second futon length wise behind the drivers seat. Technically I can sleep 6 people but its tight with 2 people on the fold out couch. In couch mode I can seat 6 people but it tight. I had to cut the legs down alittle for more upper bunk room and welded a flat metal plate to bottom of legs and bolted it down to the floor. Passenger side is basically a walkway/ dufflebag storage for camping trips. You should be fine pulling that little trailer behind it. I tow a trailer twice that size with just 5.4 L v8 engine. I didn't insulate my bus and don't see the need to do that. It holds heat in pretty well, the fiberglass body is way better than the steel bodies that skoolies have.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote