Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
dan0; I'm sure that'll work, especially since you're still thinking possible Sprinter. Please don't get me wrong, I'm never trying to argue with you. Just trying to see what you see.
I like the Sprinter idea because it's a very convention machine to drive that gets excellent mileage. Just in my head I can't possibly see including what I consider essentials, but I have a different plan than you. Good luck with yours, Sprinter or bus.

EC; That's a good idea. I haven't poured any coffee down the dashboard yet but that day's a coming. The second cup holder breaks quite easily in my experience, but I'm sure plastic is tougher now days. I was eventually going to build a wooden structure over the doghouse with a few cup holders in it, like the snazy buses.
The Truck stops and Chrome shops around here have the second one, the folding style, in stainless and aluminum, too.
Some nice burlwood dash panels, a few chrome trinkets... That class 8 feeling!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I like that Mr StayPuft has a driver's door. If you ever find yourself going over a cliff you actually have a good chance of escaping.

The chances of me getting out of a FE bus and making it through the door are slim, but adrenalyn can work wonders.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Quote:
dan0; Please don't get me wrong, I'm never trying to argue with you. Just trying to see what you see.
It's all good, I never saw the comments as negative. I'm new to this, seeing what other people are doing is very important.

Cupholders, the advantage of the van chassis...

Before I could only get a drink in the upper left one, potentially the upper center (but blocking off radio access), and change or something small in the lower left one.

The door release and switch box was mounted over of the cupholder area.
Attached Thumbnails
cupholders.jpg   httin_switches.jpg   say_car_ramrod.jpg  
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

So I need to draw it out and mock it out some, still deciding on whether a small toilet will be part and closet or just use folding clothes.

But this shows the base plan. Where the couch is right now will be a bed frame up against a half wall built to separate the garage area. The garage area will house some of the electrical and storage and have a different type of flooring.

Then up front will be two counters down some of the remaining area. One side will be the kitchen side and be permanent with storage. The other side may be a fold down so it I need more lounging type space I don't have it tied up.
Attached Thumbnails
bus_planning.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 11:05 PM   #25
Bus Geek

I'd like to have a murphy bed that fold up during the daytime to free up the floor space. I don't have a bathroom in my bus. Most of the time there's enough rest stops and fast food joints while on the road. I do however have a small portapotty for emergencies, and I've never used it.
Other people here suggest you do mock up your floorplan, using tape on the floor and/or cardboard structures. You're approaching this with the right ideas.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

I was thinking something along those lines. A Murphy bed would be fairly simple to implement.

I was thinking at one point having like a futon down the side so I could have it up like a couch most of the time for space and slide it down at night. But have storage built underneath it. Problem being I would have tougher access to the storage in bed mode.

Going to end up with a flat mattress with storage underneath. Currently in my house I usually end up sitting on my bed, watching TV, eating etc. I'm used to spending most of my time on it (when not at work.) It will really be the main point of the bus.

It's where I eat and sleep. Futurama TV show clip...
Old 03-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #27
Bus Geek

For a long time I wanted one of those futon bunk beds where the full size bed on the bottom turns to a couch. Perhaps use the couch on the bottom and sleep on the top bunk.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
For a long time I wanted one of those futon bunk beds where the full size bed on the bottom turns to a couch. Perhaps use the couch on the bottom and sleep on the top bunk.
I have two of those bunk bed futons. I like them. Buy the heavy duty style for adults, the child sized ones don't hold up very well.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:46 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm thinking about picking up a few of these-

these folding ones look nice, too-
I Need something like these!.. something that will hold a 20 oz pop bottle or a mega size Mickey-D drink!..
I hate having my drink blow out the window when a Semi passes and I have it sitting up on the dash...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:00 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Maybe we should take one of our buses over to the Chrome Shop in Wildwood and look at some cupholders next time you're over. That would be a GREAT chance to try out the cruise and watch the high speed temps and electrical stuff on my bus!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Maybe we should take one of our buses over to the Chrome Shop in Wildwood and look at some cupholders next time you're over. That would be a GREAT chance to try out the cruise and watch the high speed temps and electrical stuff on my bus!
for sure!! I sent my NexiQ device off to a forum member ot reprogram his bus for a few days, so cant do it this weekend but i like the idea..

I swear its gonna be either the computer or something crazy simple...

but then it *IS* a school bus... Simple and 'School Bus' dont belong in the same sentence..

I noticed its gonna be like 88 in orlando today.. ive got to run over to a site there later today.. will be a good test to see if my fan runs like it supposed to... that warm on the freeway I'll surely have my A/C blasting too.. giving the engine more load..

something to think about too in our cooling endeavors.. water-to-air turbo coolers... they arent cheap but a real idea to save front-of-grill space and still get that full size Rad..

-Christopher
Old 03-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I Need something like these!.. something that will hold a 20 oz pop bottle or a mega size Mickey-D drink!..
I hate having my drink blow out the window when a Semi passes and I have it sitting up on the dash...

-Christopher
Now THAT'S a first world skoolie problem I had never thought about! The dreaded fast food out the window suck.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Put your 1/2 gallon drink on the floor and use a longer straw.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Now THAT'S a first world skoolie problem I had never thought about! The dreaded fast food out the window suck.

I suppose it's because I spend 90% of my time driving the bus whereas most park and dive short..

Although on days like today I had the windows closed and the air conditioner was blasting.. so then the 1st world skoolie problem became the warm outside air from the defrost warming up the drink.. that one I just gotta tear the dash apart and fix the fresh air door
Christopher
Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: B-60 Short Bus
Engine: 6.7 liter Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 22,000 GVW
Don't bother with the folding cup holders. I put 8 of those in our bus and only one didn't break on our big road trip. I'm thinking of changing up to something more like these:
Zone Tech Recessed Folding Cup Drink Holder - Black Premium Quality Recessed Sturdy Black Folding Vehicle Adjustable Drink Cup Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XAS6M3I..._SmY0ybTE7YX42
FunkyChickenBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdixiechickens View Post
Don't bother with the folding cup holders. I put 8 of those in our bus and only one didn't break on our big road trip. I'm thinking of changing up to something more like these:
Zone Tech Recessed Folding Cup Drink Holder - Black Premium Quality Recessed Sturdy Black Folding Vehicle Adjustable Drink Cup Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XAS6M3I..._SmY0ybTE7YX42

thanks for that link... that looks like the perfect thing!! ordered one, gonna try it out.
-Christopher
Old 03-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: B-60 Short Bus
Engine: 6.7 liter Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 22,000 GVW
Great, Christopher, let me know what you think of it when it comes in.
I am deep into some other "redecorating" projects like new seat installation and building couches, so haven't had the chance to get one to try.
Meanwhile, husband is doing the fun work of front-end work and wheel bearings. I'm kinda glad I'm the inside person!
Sarah
FunkyChickenBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Got the last seat freed, took two cut off discs, then resorted to the grinding wheel as I was out of discs.

I left it I'm the back of the bus at first, but then when I was moving something else in the dark tonight I pushed it out the back door and it had the last laugh. Bounced back and took out the bottom window...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2017, 10:43 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Just a thought...

What would happen if one were to pump the condensation away from the A/C and spray it in onto the radiator?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Made a quick video from some random clips. I used the handicap lift at the end to load my motorcycle. It worked well, only needed a short piece of wood to get the back tire on, but I am kind of undecided on whether or not to keep it. A double wide type of ramp would let me ride or walk it up pretty easily. and save a little weight and maybe gain me a couple hundred in selling the lift. Thoughts?

Hoping to strip down some of the interior this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=o-VUgYqYSlA