Old 06-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #991
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango. I refrained from sending you this pic----but since you asked---[b] You can just see the driveshaft "E" brake that CAME with my Isuzu Ha, Ha!

Also, I found a cartoon that just about says it all. Jack

[b][\b]
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 PM   #992
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Thanks Jack --- I know what those guys feel like. And I don't even have any gold teeth to fall back on.

Your E-brake looks like a pretty typical set up. Just wish installing mine didn't requre replacing the main frame cross brace. I looked into some mechanical disk systems that mount on the rear axle ahead of the U-joint but fabbing the mount & lever would have been about the same amount of hassle plus running a really long cable.

There are also some stand alone hydraulic park brakes but anything bigger than a Ugo really needs an old fashioned mechanical drum. Heavy duty trucks are required to use all mechanical systems. DOT doesn't trust hydraulics not to leak or lose pressure it seems. Something about the idea of a loaded tanker truck parked on a hill made'em queezy I guess.

Ah well...one more argument for going with running gear less than a century old.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #993
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Does anyone else go through design session down time periods? --- The last several days have been spent designing both a replacement for my bus's main frame crossmember...and, a rear folding deck. Two utterly unrelated items but both taking up a fair amount of time. The crossmember required it going to a sheetmetal shop as I have no way of precisely bending 2", schedule 40 pipe. The rear deck I can handle, but I had to do a fair amount of pencil work just to get a materials list worked up. At least the steel is on order, even if it will be next week before I see it.

All this comes with the nature of my build, so I am trying to be philosophical about it all. But, just about once a day I remind myself that had I gone with a late model shorty instead of a WWII pin-up...I would probably be on the road by now.

So...I'm not really complaining, just musing about what I hope will someday be all worthwhile.

Back to the drawing board. There are still a few major systems to be drawn up...and cut...and welded...and fitted...and...

Onward!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #994
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I come in the house and hide if it gets above 70!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #995
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Tango,

My wife and I have been working on the blueprints for our bus for FIVE YEARS . So, no it's not out of the ordinary. Heck, one of my favorites folders has over 500 sources for all the different parts/ideas we have for our build. My only concern is finding a good carpenter to help me with some of the finishing details on the interior of the bus when I get to that stage. Right now I have my son, his girlfriend, her two younger brothers and a good friend getting ready to help me with demo and basic mechanical/electrical/plumbing work when we get the bus.

We've changed the plans so many times I've lost count... Just sayin'......
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #996
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
My advice? Stop measuring and get cutting! Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #997
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Wahoo, page 100.

This thread has been going on for a bit.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #998
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: Freightshaker
Engine: 5.9 cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 6 passenger 2 ATV's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Does anyone else go through design session down time periods? --- The last several days have been spent designing both a replacement for my bus's main frame crossmember...and, a rear folding deck. Two utterly unrelated items but both taking up a fair amount of time. The crossmember required it going to a sheetmetal shop as I have no way of precisely bending 2", schedule 40 pipe. The rear deck I can handle, but I had to do a fair amount of pencil work just to get a materials list worked up. At least the steel is on order, even if it will be next week before I see it.

All this comes with the nature of my build, so I am trying to be philosophical about it all. But, just about once a day I remind myself that had I gone with a late model shorty instead of a WWII pin-up...I would probably be on the road by now.

So...I'm not really complaining, just musing about what I hope will someday be all worthwhile.

Back to the drawing board. There are still a few major systems to be drawn up...and cut...and welded...and fitted...and...

Onward!

Haven't even got my project yet [couple weeks] and I've change layouts on the doors, beds, washroom, walls, lights on and on.... draw/layout, sit back with a few beers, a couple days go by, look at it again, change mind, couple more beers, better idea, couple more beers, check out forum see what others have done....trying to do something original, which is hard at this point. There's a lot of clever people on this forum.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #999
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Need to buy one first.... Just a small technical difficulty..... Hopefully remedied in about 2&1/2 hours or so.....
Old 06-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #1000
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Now give me about a week to get her home!!!!

Check out my post in the conversion thread Trunt