Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #2061
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Well Howdy --- played carpenter again today. Got a couple of more wall panels either on or fabbed.

Starting from the rear. One in place all glued & screwed.

And I don't know about the rest of you folks but I am having to accommodate rivets here and there. Found that my router can cut a relief that allows the wood to lay flat.

Another trick I am having to use is to mark and pre-drill the plywood to avoid obstructions. It has the added value of letting me put the adhesive around the holes so that my bit doesn't get all gumpy while drilling the metal.

Also laid down some 3M OEM grade seam sealer along some areas that had been open to the outdoors. The floor was totally separate from the walls in the rear with a gap that snakes and lizards could have easily gained entry through. No more. I ran a heavy bead inside and out.

ONWARD!

Old 02-04-2017, 10:30 PM   #2062
Bus Geek

Back Again --- Managed to get the last of the wall panels up yesterday. Also picked up a sheet metal project that has been in the works for months. The chap that was "doing it on the side" felt so bad about taking so long, he didn't charge me for it. But I know he has been swamped...literally. He lost his house, two cars and his son's truck in one of the floods here a while back and has been scrambling to get his life back together with zero help from FEMA. I will drop a C note or two in his lunchbox next trip.

Last of the basic wall panels. Can start work on the floor, cabinets, sofa/sleeper and bath pretty soon.

Here is the "footwell" where I will (hopefully) hang the steering and pedals. Good thing I have small feet.

Just the first of what will no doubt be many test fits. Getting the homemade steering linkage, gas pedal and brake pedal all in place and working will be...interesting.

ONWARD!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #2063
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Back Again --- Managed to get the last of the wall panels up yesterday. Also picked up a sheet metal project that has been in the works for months. The chap that was "doing it on the side" felt so bad about taking so long, he didn't charge me for it. But I know he has been swamped...literally. He lost his house, two cars and his son's truck in one of the floods here a while back and has been scrambling to get his life back together with zero help from FEMA. I will drop a C note or two in his lunchbox next trip.

Last of the basic wall panels. Can start work on the floor, cabinets, sofa/sleeper and bath pretty soon.

Here is the "footwell" where I will (hopefully) hang the steering and pedals. Good thing I have small feet.

Just the first of what will no doubt be many test fits. Getting the homemade steering linkage, gas pedal and brake pedal all in place and working will be...interesting.

ONWARD!
Looks like you are making some great progress Tango. Keep those pix a coming. Enjoyed meeting with you Friday night.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #2064
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Looking fine Tango. What will be the shape of the dog house over the tranny? Jack
Old 02-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #2065
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Hey Tango, got an extra 50 grand laying around.....lol.

1936 Ford Schol Bus
Old 02-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #2066
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
FlyBoy...RE:HAB is a pet & kid friendly little pub...bring the lad! As often as not there are ducks wandering the backyard to keep them entertained.
The kids or the regulars?

Hmmm..... Ducks & Beer, what could go wrong?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #2067
Bus Geek

Phatman --- Thanks bud. Enjoyed meeting you too. Now we need to get the rest of these miscreants together.

Milkmania --- All of the above. We got feral cats, feral ducks, feral kids and feral skoolies. Thank God they have a full bar!

Flyboy --- WOW!...What a beaut! But I suspect getting 50 big ones for it is dreaming. They might have a lot more in it but anyone that thinks they will recover the cost of a restoration on a skoolie is not in touch with reality. Kinda like most of us here.

Jack --- I am still tweaking the doghouse design but it will basically be a square box that tapers in at the top on three sides. Getting the sealing right will be critical. As you may have noticed, the engine practically mid ship and will be pumping out a lot of heat and noise so I'm looking at possibly doubling the walls on the dash/firewall and doghouse...if I can just figger out how.

Hope everyone has a great Superbowl Sunday. The million or so visitors and multiple "special events" around town here have the locals ready for this dog & pony show to end. If you are interested, rumor has it you can still get a few scalped tickets...at TEN-GRAND a pop. ??????

Really!?

You can see it better on TV!

PS...we have sent an invitation to Lady Gaga to join us at RE:HAB Bar. We'll see.

ONWARD!
Old 02-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #2068
Bus Nut

So, just curious, how did the meet up between you and Phatman go? I would have brought my grandchild but assumed the traffic would be a nightmare since it was SuperBowl weekend?

I'm looking forward to meeting any and all miscreants. It's going to be a great get together especially since we are all in the same age group here.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #2069
Bus Geek

Well Howdy Flyboy...we missed you! --- Traffic was fine...drinks were fine and the ducks dropped in for a visit. Great visit with Phatman...super nice guy who is welcome back any time.

We can do this anytime. Just give me a heads up when you want to pop in and I'll be there.

C'mon Houston area Skoolies...let's do this!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #2070
Bus Nut

Ok Graycoyote, you heard Tango. Let's get it together son and get this thing roll in'. FlyboyHPD it was a great visit. Definitely missed you. We will definitely do it again soon. OH YEAH, GREAT LITTLE BAR & A GREAT BQ SAUSAGE SANDWICH.

CARRY ON !!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #2071
Bus Geek

And Wednesday nites they have the best FREE live music in town. I WILL be there.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #2072
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Ok Graycoyote, you heard Tango. Let's get it together son and get this thing roll in'. FlyboyHPD it was a great visit. Definitely missed you. We will definitely do it again soon. OH YEAH, GREAT LITTLE BAR & A GREAT BQ SAUSAGE SANDWICH.

CARRY ON !!
Can't go wrong with beer and sausage. Missed you guys too. Lets try and do it on a Sat or Sun when we don't have to fight rush hour traffic to get there.

Hope everyone is doing well with this great weather we're having.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #2073
Bus Geek

Well dangnabbit! --- Been working away but it appears my little digital camera has given up the ghost so no pix to prove it. Guess I'll have to break down and get another just to keep Jack happy.

And speaking of Jack...thanks again pardner! He very kindly sent a great piece of photo art of a chrome '42-46 grill that is going to be hung in my shop as inspiration/motivation.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #2074
Bus Geek

Well...I broke down and got a new camera. Mostly just to keep Jack off my back. Been fabbing lots of little stuff...none of which is very glamorous but they have to be done anyway. Between that and dry fitting the steering, gas pedal and brakes numerous times, I have more bruises and contusions than pix, but here goes...

This was all in and out more times than I can recall and is still being putzed with. Have to move some holes and such.

Over on the other side of the dash/firewall, I decided to put a removable panel in place rather than just welding it up solid. It should provide a little better access to the turbo and that side of the engine if needed. Can move ahead on the doghouse now.

After a whole lot of measuring and figuring out allowances for the curved wall, I cut all the steel for the frame of my sofa/bed. It will be a while before it gets attached but I will go ahead and weld it all up in a few days.

Also changed my mind on the sofa frame and will make it removable (in parts) too. Had to add a tab along one edge of the rear portion for the front to sit on and bolt to.

All for now...

ONWARD!
Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #2075
Bus Geek

We are under a severe thunderstorm, hail and tornado watch at the moment, but hey...it IS Texas.

Got the frame for my fold down sofa/bed put together. Also laid some paint on the marine ply. Even added some magic pixie dust to it.

PWPD...(paint with Pixie Dust)

Test fit on the sofa/bed frame. It will bolt to a rail on the wall and the frame that is attached to the wheel well.

From the front...

...and...

Just had to add this. My shopmate is an artist and keeps a lot of scrap at his house. A LOT. So much that the city came by and told him he had to clear some of it out or pay a fine. While clearing a path through all the stuff in his yard he dug this up. Literally. It was buried there an inch or so down for God knows how many years with grass and weeds growing on top of it. He's lived there for 20 and had no idea it was there. Nice find and a nice addition to the shop.

ONWARD!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #2076
Bus Nut

Quote:
We are under a severe thunderstorm, hail and tornado watch at the moment, but hey...it IS Texas.

Got the frame for my fold down sofa/bed put together. Also laid some paint on the marine ply. Even added some magic pixie dust to it.

PWPD...(paint with Pixie Dust)

Test fit on the sofa/bed frame. It will bolt to a rail on the wall and the frame that is attached to the wheel well.

From the front...

...and...

Just had to add this. My shopmate is an artist and keeps a lot of scrap at his house. A LOT. So much that the city came by and told him he had to clear some of it out or pay a fine. While clearing a path through all the stuff in his yard he dug this up. Literally. It was buried there an inch or so down for God knows how many years with grass and weeds growing on top of it. He's lived there for 20 and had no idea it was there. Nice find and a nice addition to the shop.

ONWARD!
Looks good Tango. If your friend has anymore of those signs he needs to get rid of , give me a holler.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #2077
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango, fun to see so much of your project coming together. Ya gotta love that Isuzu steering column--sure fits nice. Jack
Old 02-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #2078
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Well...I broke down and got a new camera. Mostly just to keep Jack off my back. Been fabbing lots of little stuff...none of which is very glamorous but they have to be done anyway. Between that and dry fitting the steering, gas pedal and brakes numerous times, I have more bruises and contusions than pix, but here goes...

This was all in and out more times than I can recall and is still being putzed with. Have to move some holes and such.

Over on the other side of the dash/firewall, I decided to put a removable panel in place rather than just welding it up solid. It should provide a little better access to the turbo and that side of the engine if needed. Can move ahead on the doghouse now.

After a whole lot of measuring and figuring out allowances for the curved wall, I cut all the steel for the frame of my sofa/bed. It will be a while before it gets attached but I will go ahead and weld it all up in a few days.

Also changed my mind on the sofa frame and will make it removable (in parts) too. Had to add a tab along one edge of the rear portion for the front to sit on and bolt to.

All for now...

ONWARD!
lookin good!

dang thats all crammed in there.. and I gotta try and find a place for a defroster an A/C for you!.. maybe we put the defrost unit ABOVE the windshield

-Christopher
Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #2079
Bus Geek

Yeah...tell me about cramped spaces guys! --- The Isuzu column is the mate to the steering gearbox so hopefully they should "play well" together.

As for the defroster & A/C...I am still trying to find locations for both...along with stuff like the heater...dash...gauges...and wipers..and...
Old 02-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #2080
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I love the bass drum pedal for the accelerator.
Closed Thread