Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #201
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: '46 Chevy Shorty

Hey Bansil --- I will be just outside beautiful Bell Buckle, Tennessee, at the studio of a local but nationally acclaimed sculptress & mosaic artist named Sherri Warner-Hunter. She has beau coup works in and around Nashville. Super lady. I am looking forward to going back there in about a week. It is also home to the world famous RC Cola & Moon Pie Festival every June (Dang...I just missed it!).

Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #202
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

I'm a handy guy and can build most anything once I've seen it once, but I'm no artist. I could build stuff out of concrete like you did but it wouldn't look anything like your pieces.

What you're doing is truly amazing.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #203
Bus Geek

Thanks Roach --- It's really no different than any other craft in that it just comes down to practice, patience and a little perseverance. Anyone with reasonable skills can be taught. This particular art was hard to get started in 20 years ago because most of the old practitioners were either dead or were Mason's and kept all their formulas & tricks secret. They literally took them to the grave rather than sharing them with anyone...even family. Until I published a little booklet a couple of years ago, there was not a single word in the entire Library of Congress (or anywhere else I searched) on how it was done. That was my motivation for my website, book, and the classes I teach. I'd just hate to see this crazy old art lost forever. It's a lot of fun when people see a piece and then discover it isn't wood. Some refuse to believe it's just plain old Portland cement. I even had one fellow argue that he was a concrete contractor and that the piece he was looking at could not possibly be cement. No way. Even after telling him how I'd made it, he was still convinced it was petrified wood...not Portland, and went away in a huff. Go figure.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #204
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
...RC Cola & Moon Pie...
Yummmmmm. The Perfect lunch. I (and my kids) like to pop a double decker moon pie in the micro for just a few seconds. Tastes like a S'more. Mooned Sundae: Moon Pie topped with Mayfield Ice Cream! Yum Yum!

Do you have any idea how folks in NM look at us when we talk about Moon Pies?

And Mayfield Ice cream isn't out here. We had to go with Blue Bell.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #205
Bus Geek

Yea Lorna --- RC Cola & Moonpie is definitely a Southern thing. I preferred RC to Coke as a kid, but it may just have been the mysterious pyramids screen printed on the bottle that got me. The other was Grapette...in tiny little bottles for a nickel. And while we're on a trip down memory lane...anybody recall ever having a lemon-lime phosphate? I used to walk miles down to a "soda-shop" for those things.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #206
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

I thought RC Cola + a Moonpie was an NRBQ thing.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
Old 06-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #207
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Anybody who has been to Maine may remember the soda named Moxie. It tastes like carbonated molasses with a little cough syrup thrown in.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #208
Bus Crazy

its what u drink when eating ur coon pie..
normal staple for the alabama folks.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #209
Bus Geek

Moon Pies are considered a "food group" down South!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #210
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Tango, all this TALK about Moon Pies-----what we need are pictures HA!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #211
Bus Crazy

We also need "How to cook squirrel in a Sock" pictures.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #212
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Moon Pies are considered a "food group" down South!
And Macaroni & Cheese is a vegetable!

WARNING: Off Topic Discourse...
Chattanooga (home of the Chattanooga Bakerywho makes Moon Pies) has more of the various moon pies stocked on shelves than any place else in the country we have been. When my daughter first moved out to NM from TN, her sister shipped her a case of Double Decker Moon Pies for her Christmas present. She couldn't find them out here except at the Cracker Barrel restaurant. Now Sam's Club carries Double Deckers in ABQ. She has a membership.

When we first moved to Chattanooga, we were bouncing between public campgrounds (Chester Frost & Harrison Bay State Park) with a large group of other fulltimers (group consisted of folks who had lost their rental & bank co-owned homes due to fire and couldn't afford the huge deposits needed to rent, newcomers to the area like us who hadn't decided if they would stay & a small group who simply lived full-time in public campgrounds during the summer & private campgrounds during the winter). These frugal folks generously told us a great number of places to get the most "bang for the buck" like bakery thrift stores, the Hixson Goodwill, the $1 movie theater in Harrison, Cici's Pizza which the Hixson store was the best tasting and was very low priced lunch... if a school bus trip rolled in around while we were in there, we got the "special price" they gave to the school. Manager said because we were homeschoolers we qualified as a "school field trip. Sometimes the manager would give us a "school discount" for no apparent reason. We ate there a lot. There were two bakery outlets stores in Hixson (location of Chester Frost County Park... great place to spend the summer 28 days at a time)and one in East Ridge where David worked. All different companies. I would buy flats of 72 hamburger buns left over from the previous days restaurant orders for $1. I also got 36 sub rolls (Hardies?) for $1 per flat. I gave away so much bread to others. The kids fished for sunfish with bread balls for bait. I made a lot of meals with some form of bun or bread crumbs added into it. I even made fruit cobblers with buns. We were also buying Moon Pies for 1/2 off, sometimes less. We bought lots of Moon Pies. Now the bakery stores cost almost as much as the regular stores. But back in the mid to late 90's they were a bargain. We lived in the Chattanooga area from 1995 until we left in 2005.

BTW, back in the mid to late 90's, even in the higher priced public campgrounds, it was cheaper than renting a house in Chattanooga. Renting involved a credit check fee ($75), first & last months' rent PLUS $1000 non-refundable deposit for each child and each pet. So $4075 on top of first & last months' rent (2 kids, 1 dog & 1 cat). So you can see how it was cheaper for us to buy a house than to rent. David refused to pay the credit check fee after walking into a place that had been taking applications on site for a month was they told us they would be taking app for another month. By noon Saturday, they had a one day stack of single page credit apps that was at least 3" high. Since David ran credit apps 5 days a week at the security company, he knew it only cost $10 to run a credit app. We walked out and spoke to a neighbour. Guy said the house hadn't been rented out in over a year. We put a deposit down on a house in the neighbouring county that was LESS than getting into the cheapest rental we found (scared me to step out of the car there... bad neighbourhood) rental AND included turning on all our utilities. Living in campgrounds gave the kids lakes & swimming pools during the hot summer months. Chester Frost would do summer kids activities and the park rangers would drive around the campgrounds to invite the kids that were there. We were living in Chester Frost during the Hamilton County Fair (old style country fair... no carnival) on the same island the fair was held on. That was great! The girls had so much fun. They entered the Mayfield ice cream eating contest (got ice cream headaches & a Mayfield Dairy t-shirt each that they slept in for years) .
Old 06-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #213
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

Mightyfine 'growing up the kids' story Lorna.

"anybody recall ever having a lemon-lime phosphate? "

I used to be a soda jerk at a drug store in the 'sixtys. We used to make the lemon/lime freezes. I could make you a coke in a paper cone cup, with stainless steel cone holder, with as much coke syrup as you like, large or small paper cone cup(same holder), for 5cents and 10cents respectively. The lemon and/or lime freezes were served in a tall cylindrical clear glass with a polar bear on it and only came in one size.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #214
Bus Geek

I'm TOTALLY lost --what is/was this thread???
Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #215
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
I'm TOTALLY lost --what is/was this thread???
Well, when you have as many folks that have CRS as there are on this forum you have to understand that they will get completely off the topic as they remember other stuff. But they will get back on topic eventually because they will forget what they were thinking of and have to reread a bit and remember the original subject and in the course of remembering one thing, forget the other. I think. I'm not sure. It's past my 9PM bedtime!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #216
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

CRS?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRS

Yo, the thread question was "...anybody recall ever having a lemon-lime phosphate?"
Anyway, I forgot to mention, the lemon/lime freeze cost 40cents. A high dollar item at the time.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #217
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
CRS?.
C an't
R emember
S hit
Old 07-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #218
Bus Geek

Hey Tango, I was just checking out your original post on your bus and realized that you bought it in Utah. Where? Mine also came from Utah--Sandy Utah outside of Salt Lake City. Jack
Old 07-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #219
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
CRS?.
C an't
R emember
S hit

I have that...........I have bought 25+ tape measures and know where 2 are(in the bus)
Old 07-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #220
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
I have bought 25+ tape measures and know where 2 are(in the bus)
Really? Only two and you know where both of them are? I think I have at least 5, (not really sure), I seem to find them all over the place. Usually, if I'm in the bus, there
are at least 4 in the shop and I can't seem to find the other one. If I'm in the shop they're all in the bus. Or, I can't seem to find any of them.
Closed Thread