Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #2241
Bus Nut

I have read about auxiliary transmissions hung on the output shaft of an Alison transmission. Would this be a good overdrive option?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Old 05-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #2242
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I believe there are some "Brownie Box" style units that might add OD but don't really know anything about them. The only ones I have actually seen were on older, manual trannies.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #2243
Bus Geek

Got Brakes? --- well...not exactly...but I do have a growing pile of parts. The remote master kit arrived and I am trying to figure out the plumbing. Never having seen such a set up, I'll be going back to the builders website often I do believe.

Here is the master blaster with a piston operated actuator attached. All this goes under the bus...somewhere or other.

And this doodad is the mini-clutch master that sends fluid to the master blaster. It will mount on the firewall and the the pedal will work this.

However...like everything else on this build, it had to first be modified.

I had to cut about 3 inches off the pushrod that operates the clutch master...then thread it down another two inches...then fabricate the adjustable eyelet you see on the end of it all.

If I could recover the time spent digging through the fastener and miscellaneous parts areas at my local hardware store...this rig would be DONE by now.

ONWARD!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #2244
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Got Asprin?

I know I'd need it if I were trying to figgrr that out! It sure will help with the foot room under your dash to say nothing of the space under the hood. Jack
Old 05-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #2245
Bus Geek

Roger that Jack --- No choice. No room under the bonnet. I HAD to find another location for the master. And I'm still trying to figger out where to put a few other things like the start battery. Right now I'm working on a stacked up CAC & radiator system that I hope will squeeze into that narrow nose and still do the job.

Would have definitely been easier to just drop the body onto a late model running chassis like SOME people cleverly did.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #2246
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wow thats some brake setup.. so it goes back to the idea theres only one hydraulic circuit from the "clutch master" down to the brake master.. better make sure that you have a good heavy parking brake drum in case you had to use it to stop the bus!..

cool setup though!!!

thanks for reminding me of CAC (transmissions)... had been a few months since I talked to them.. spent a good 2 hours on the phone with them today and we have a tricked out setup for my red bus in the works... also a "small world moment..".. the "primary" guy's wife was a technical gal at the manufacturer of the hotel phone system I first cut my teeth on installing.. and most likely knows my business partner.. ha!

did you end up getting any of your transmission bits from CAC?

BTW I went 6 speed.. he has the ability to have a "push button" shifter now.. once you put your main handle in D he has push button style input so you can lock yourself down to 5 or 4, etc (automatic but you set the max gear electronicaly)... might make it nice for you depending on where you end up putting your main shifter.. you could have "paddles" on youre steering wheel for up and downshift if needed as you roam through mountains
-Christopher
Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 AM   #2247
Bus Geek

Hey Cadillac --- It has been a while but as I recall, I got some goodies from TCM. I went with an all mechanical (cable) shifter just to avoid any more electronics. I will leave all that fancy stuff to you guys who understand it.

Today I spent a lot of time holding my breath. It was time to drill some holes in the footwell I spent a month or more building in order to mount the new mini-master cylinder. Measure...check...re-measure, re-check...make a template...re-check...then...go for it. One shot to get it right or screw up a lot of work.

It looks like it will indeed work.

I cut a metal template for positioning the small master then locked it down as best I could before diving in with the drill. It seems to be properly positioned.

Whew!

Must be nice to work on a bus that already has most of its' gazillion little parts in place.

ONWARD!
Old 05-18-2017, 05:16 AM   #2248
Bus Geek

That system is cool regardless.. I'm still wondering where you place the brake master.. seems it still has to be above the highest point you route any brake lines. So if you should get a leakcthe air bubbles try to work their way toward the fluid reservoire
Plus a place where you're able to easily check the fluid.

I'll still have a hard shifter, that's the beauty of these allisons. They are fully electronic trans but even if you waste the computer you still have reverse and 2nd gear so you can move your bus.
The fancy stuff is just if you want an override or in my case the pure geek factor.
So for power you will have hydroboost still? Or does this setup use an electric motor?
Christopher
Old 05-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #2249
Bus Geek

Hey Chris --- The reservoir is also remote and will hang up high on the firewall. The actual working master will mount on a frame rail like some of the old, underbody systems. Once filled and bled, no need to open that one up. And it will all be tied into the Cummins hydraulic pump (along with the Isuzu steering box) as a full Hydroboost brake package.

And the Allisons are indeed a beautiful piece of work that have just gotten better over the years. Plenty of options in a really rugged package. Can't wait to see how you build yours out...then tweak it. I envy your tech skills. Mine are limited to things that can only be "tweaked" with a large hammer.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #2250
Bus Geek

Gimme a Brake! --- Not quite there yet...but, at least I am a bit closer to having most of the parts for one. Got the mini-master mounted, hung the pedals and fabbed a bracket for the reservoir.

Ta-daa! The mini-master is bolted down to the outside of the footwell.

Home made bracket and the brake fluid reservoir.

And here it is on the firewall.

And the pedal is now in the right position and connected to the piston.

I just hope this stuff all works.

ONWARD!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #2251
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Beautiful construct as always Tango--I think you're on a roll.
Jack
Old 05-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #2252
Bus Geek

Dang this thing is lpokin more and more like we are goin for a bus ride soon!!!!
Lots of neat technology goin on here!!
Christopher
Old 05-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #2253
Bus Geek

Thanks guys...I may actually get to drive this thing...eventually. And as long as I keep the "tech" mostly Medieval, I can probably deal with it.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #2254
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thanks guys...I may actually get to drive this thing...eventually. And as long as I keep the "tech" mostly Medieval, I can probably deal with it.
I can always help with the tech as much as I can.. I will have gone through getting an electronic transmission up and running in place of a mechanical by then... the guys at CAC are setting me up with a tricked out package..

I went with the 6 speed after all... these projects are worth the extra right?
-Christopher
Old 05-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #2255
Bus Geek

Sounds excellent Chris. Which trans are you going with? Mine is a 2200MH but there are quite a few 6 speeds available these days.

Can't wait to see just how tweaked you make it. With all your skills, you do realize we are all expecting to see an upgraded Flux Capacitor somewhere on board don't you?
Old 05-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #2256
Bus Geek

im going with a 1000, in this case its a "built" 1000 not because I plan to hop the motor necessarily but all of CAC's trans come as 500 HP units with a billet converter. I will have a park pawl though I dont have to use it. I can remove the Stop on my current 545 shifter and apply park if I want, my drum park brake will move right over to the new trans, as will my shifter . and they are building it with the SAE3 bell so its just a bolt up where my 545 was..

the trans is 4th gen (latest) and the electronics are 5th gen (latest) and tuned..

a bit of electronic bling is the "tap shift" which allows me to manual shift if i choose.. i'll have a switch i can lock out 6th if i want,my rear gears are pretty tall so I may never use 6th, but the price was negligible difference to go with a 4th gen(6 sp) vs 3rd gen(5 sp) say im climbing hills and dont want the constant up / down shift I can lockout any gears I want.. plus beta testing their display that will show me the gear im shifted to and the gear the trans is running in.

of course as you know this isnt a cheap endeavor.. but then ive been in Hot-rodding long enough to realize there are no cheap endeavors to get what you want...

-Christopher
Old 05-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #2257
Bus Geek

Chris --- Sounds like a really trick build. I do hope you plan on lots of pix and or movies of this transplant. Should be a learning lesson for all as well as a really outstanding upgrade.

And.."Tapshift"...now you're getting Ferrari on us!

Rock on!
Old 05-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #2258
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I like fancy, but shifting an automatic transmission manually seems redundant.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #2259
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
And.."Tapshift"...now you're getting Ferrari on us!

Rock on!
I did paint the bus red for a reason....

-Christopher
Old 05-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #2260
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I like fancy, but shifting an automatic transmission manually seems redundant.
there are reasons for limiting or manually taking down a gear on an automatic..

in a bus the nost reason for tap shift is mountain travel.. going down hill you drop a couple gears for engine braking... in some areas you may want to only allow a maximum gear.. ie again hilly travel.. as you go up down up down, etc you may want to not allow it go over 4th or 5th knowing its just gonna hunt down again ifit went into too high gear..

the "tap shift" program he is putting in for me is less ferrari-esque as its main design is to limit the top gear the transmission will hit and will remain automatic in the gears under.. so I tap shift to 4.. it will be fully automatic 1-2-3-4.. but locks out 5 and 6.. all at my finger tips instead of having to constantly move the main shifter T-handle all the time.. (which in my bus is a reach)..

-Christopher
Closed Thread