Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thanks Opus --- Had not considered marine terminology as a source. We had a mast of sorts on the aircraft carrier I was on, but never heard anything about "fish" except for Fridays' meal choices.
Tang,

Seeing if we're gillable? Slip us the fin? Just for the halibut? De-bait-able? I'll scale it back for ya...
Old 09-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #1192
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey Jack...just in case you drop in here...what's up with Nomadicista? Appears to have gone offline for several days.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #1193
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Nice work Tango. Your 1/2" sandwich will be plenty for the steering gear (it is the same as the one on my bus and will give you a really tight turning radius). How are you going to attach it to the "fish plate"? I recall that you were concerned about having enough room for the steering column. Our buses are the same width at the base of the cowl--which on my bus wasn't enough width to clear the column. I finally notched the cowl where it bends down from the windshield and spread the lower cowl just enough to clear the column and avoid having to use extra "U" joints. Since the hood butterflies close over the fenders anyway, the extra 3/4" or so spread at the bottom isn't even noticeable. It kept things simple and allowed me to retain the tilt/extend retract feature of the original Isuzu column.

I can hardly wait for you to get your shorty done so we will have a reason for a midway meet up with our toys--and those of any other interested souls. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #1194
Bus Crazy

Hey tango. It is a planned outage as Stuart is away for a short while and gave us a heads up.

My personal hope is that he took all the money and left for points unknown never to return!

What money?

Can you steal a negative cash flow?

Whether we recover or not, Stuart's, Nomadicista site has been a most interesting and diverse treat and I sincerely hope the shutdown is only temporary. Jack
Old 09-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #1195
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
My good puns are going to waste. But seriously, I'm AMAZED at the process you're doing. WHAT engineering!!!!! I doubt I'd tackle such a project by myself........

AND for some unknown reason, I tried to sign up for the Nomadicista website and THEY BANNED ME PERMANENTLY without me even posting ONCE, or having the guts to explain why.

So, needless to say, even IF they change their mind, I'll never be interested in signing up for their site due to their rudeness.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #1196
Bus Crazy

M1031A1, sorry you had a bad experience there.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #1197
Bus Geek

Thanks Jack --- studying the pix of your installation was a huge help.

I will likely weld the mount permanently along the bottom of the fishplate plus add some bolt through brackets that will attach to it and the lower frame channel. The fit is so ridiculously tight that there was not room for a fully independent, removable mount. This arrangement puts the box right at the outer edge of the lower cowl (which I had to notch slightly).

But since my firewall has been pushed back to where my old dash was, it appears to allow for reasonable angles and hopefully a not too complicated connection with the column & wheel. I just had to do some chopping to what was the old floor and cab mounts. I may end up with a U-joint somewhere in there, but maybe not. I'm fine with one, just don't want too many. The trickiest part may be sealing up everything going through the firewall/dash. The angle between the two will be so steep that I might wind up having to fab yet another piece just to close it up a bit.

Had an old Dodge Town Wagon years ago that I loved dearly. I could drive it through four feet of water and it wouldn't skip a beat. But on another day I could drive across a tiny puddle...and a stream of water like one coming out of a water pistol would come up from somewhere around the column at the floor and splat me right in the face. I drove that truck all over the US for over seventeen years putting over 380K miles on it and never did find out where the hell that shot in the face was coming from.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #1198
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I found you parts!

1947 Chevrolet School Bus Project Rat Rod No Reserve | eBay
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #1199
Bus Crazy

I'm sure folks will be vying for that little beauty all over the nation--the guy was offering $500 to the first person who'd tow it off wasn't he?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #1200
Bus Geek

Post-War...way too new for me.