Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #2441
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hmmmm...another poster mentioned that " #12 THHN or THWN is rated for 40A at 600V" but I countered with my AC loads being 15 amps max (?).

Anyhow, while on the subject of loads...what about the DC side? Any suggestions for sizing wiring to handle a small LED bulb and a DC charger plug for a cellphone? Length will be about 15 feet.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #2442
Bus Geek

Laid some floor today! --- Well...one piece anyway. Had to de-square it to fit the odd angles found on this demon (SURPRISE!). Nothing is remotely square on this bitc...er beauty. Decided to align it all using biscuits along all the connecting edges to try and keep it all flush. That naturally meant another run to the hardware store but should pay off down the line. Also had to relieve the edges against each wall by about an eighth of an inch due to the way the wall panels fit. More fun with the router.

Could not place it in one piece so it is cut into two pieces then glued and screwed. Just a few sheet metal screws to help hold it in place. The red Pirelli rubber tiles go on top of this.

Also cut the 10/3 wiring and will stuff it in place in the next day or so.

ONWARD!
Old 07-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #2443
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
interior!!! at some point when you get to work on the interior of a vehicle project it just plain feels good... not sure why but when id get to the point of even test fitting plastic board for a headliner or laying dynamat on the floor i'd do a happy dance..

not quite like starting the engine but still.. a lift!!
-Christopher
Old 07-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #2444
Bus Geek

Yep...doing interior stuff does feel good. Will try and get all but the front section down over the next couple of days. Still waiting on some much needed and LONG overdue sheetmetal work before I can wrap that area.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 AM   #2445
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hmmmm...another poster mentioned that " #12 THHN or THWN is rated for 40A at 600V" but I countered with my AC loads being 15 amps max (?).

Anyhow, while on the subject of loads...what about the DC side? Any suggestions for sizing wiring to handle a small LED bulb and a DC charger plug for a cellphone? Length will be about 15 feet.
If you have enough 10/3 cabtire leftover,use that for the dc. You may need to add later to the load on it and gives you may different fusing options for later, extra fans, lighting etc, anything requiring 12 volts really.
easier now to plan for the unexpected and wire it as such.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:29 AM   #2446
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Laid some floor today! --- Well...one piece anyway. Had to de-square it to fit the odd angles found on this demon (SURPRISE!). Nothing is remotely square on this bitc...er beauty. Decided to align it all using biscuits along all the connecting edges to try and keep it all flush. That naturally meant another run to the hardware store but should pay off down the line. Also had to relieve the edges against each wall by about an eighth of an inch due to the way the wall panels fit. More fun with the router.

Could not place it in one piece so it is cut into two pieces then glued and screwed. Just a few sheet metal screws to help hold it in place. The red Pirelli rubber tiles go on top of this.

Also cut the 10/3 wiring and will stuff it in place in the next day or so.

ONWARD!

Ok, more comments for you to ponder Tango.

First the wiring....Do you have room for one more cabtire in the pull you are about to make? do you have the ground wire set to pull in also?
If you make a bundle of 4 cabtires and stagger the ends so they feed in pretty easy at first while filling the hose as you go in more you might be able to push it through or if you have a helper, a handful of dish soap
on the nose to lubricate the pull. Slop it right to it, but get it in before it dries or will make it tough if it gets dried out in the hose. Helper either pulls or feeds the bundle of 4 in as tight a configuration as necessary and pushes as you pull, vice-versa. Tape then on really tight if using a fish tape or rope. Might not to be such a bad idea too, to pull in a nylon string for future if you need a single wire or two sometime in the future.

One other comment..those cabtires must stay all the same length for efficieny and keeping a balance of the loads on each one. so, make your longest connection first then keep the others the same no matter where they go. Both ends this goes for, not just one. Hope you can understand my interpretation, if not, ask. Balanced or undersized loads on oversized cables is the goal.

Agree with you about how square these busesare not. What drives me crazy is the ceiling joints look so square and true as far as rivet alignment goes. But from then on to square to the floor or plumb what have you, the squareness seems to disappear and causes a lot more work to make the finishes look square. And they have to, that is the only way to build anything in my books or don't do it. Hire someone that can, if you haven't a clue or no interest working towards that end.

Whew, done..

John
John
Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #2447
Bus Geek

Many thanks for the feedback John --- I am trying to get an electrician friend over to check things out before I make the pulls. And I did get some lube to try and make it go as smoothly as possible.

As for any future additions...there just isn't room for any! This thing makes most "Tiny Homes" look like a mansion. If I want something like a sound system...it will probably have to be a Sony Walkman I can hang on my belt.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #2448
Bus Geek

Deck is In --- Please note my use of nautical terms from here on out. Given that there are absolutely NO square lines anywhere on this bus, I am continuously forced to attempt something more akin to shipbuilding. Therefore...from now on out, it will be Port & Starboard, decks, overhead, bulkheads and little round windows.

Getting the last pieces fitted and in was a bear. Now I just have to try and keep it all relatively clean until the tile goes down.

ONWARD!
Old 07-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #2449
Bus Geek

ha!! just like an old house... no such thing as square... looks good!! but yeah its always cut-to-fit no such thing as pre-build in one of these..

it was like when i first started computerizing my christmas lights.. make them dance to music.. you had to program everything manually.. so I used a program that determined the exact beat of a song and then it replicated it.. thats when I learned that real bands like mannheim steamroller really cant count... tyou listen to the songs and they are swesome.. but realize that the beat is *NOT* timed well...... real people = real variance.....
-Christopher
Old 07-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #2450
Bus Geek

Makes me thunk of a Japanese philosophy regarding art known as Wabi Sabi.

It is the art of perfecting imperfection.

For example, a potter might create a bowl or pot that he spends days getting perfectly round. Then, he will study it sometimes for weeks to figure out exactly how to distort it and make it imperfect...and thus...more human.

With my bus they just got carried away.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #2451
Bus Geek

it seems to be the same theory as people whop install a Fresh set of copper gutterso n their victorian house.. then pour acid all over them to make them look "well-used"..

or people who go and buy brand new jeans with holes already in the knees..

I live in a new house.. had it built in 2004.. right after I moved in i decided there were some things I wanted to alter.. yeah so much for "yes I built a new house so when I do projects the place is square" theory..

-Christopher

P.S. but at least you know your bus has some "original qualities".. seems to mean something in the hotrod world...
Old 07-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #2452
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
With all those nautical terms at play I found I suddenly developed a case of motion sickness and barley made it to the loo. Please go back to the standard bus lingo to help us less stalwart busnuts remain healthy. Jack
Old 07-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #2453
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
With all those nautical terms at play I found I suddenly developed a case of motion sickness and barley made it to the loo. Please go back to the standard bus lingo to help us less stalwart busnuts remain healthy. Jack
Loo - It's called The Head Jack !!
Old 07-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #2454
Bus Geek

The Loo??? Blimey...E'must be a Limey!
Old 07-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #2455
Bus Geek

Good news late on Saturday --- My custom built CAC/Radiator package is built and "in the mail". Can't wait to see if it all actually fits.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #2456
Bus Geek

Quote:
Good news late on Saturday --- My custom built CAC/Radiator package is built and "in the mail". Can't wait to see if it all actually fits.
oh yeah!!!! i cant wait to see this!!.. now we are talking the realm of "make-the-bus-go" stuff!!!
-Christopher
Old 07-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #2457
Bus Geek

Egad! Let's hope so!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #2458
Bus Geek

Quote:
Egad! Let's hope so!

im interested to hear more about your allison setup too. dang i wish I lived closer to Houston.. we could probably have a good brainstorm!

-Christopher
Old 07-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #2459
Bus Geek

Hey Christopher...I wish you lived closer too! --- You are light years ahead of me with Allison savvy. In fact, I am pretty much on hold until I can get an Allison tech over here to help with a number of basic concerns before I can even begin to think about flashing this beastie. Likewise the engine. I want someone who knows 4BT's inside and out to check out a few things before the first crank-up. Heck...I'm still trying to figure out where I can stuff a start battery!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #2460
Bus Geek

a battery? its a 1946. i was thinking you were looking for a place to put the Crank

did S&S give you a TCM that has a basic transmission tune on it?

-Christopher
Closed Thread