Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #2501
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
A little here, a little there --- The interior paint turned out OK I think. Much lighter and brighter.

The front(green) area above the doghouse I have decided to carpet to try and help reduce engine noise.

Cleaned up the galvanized rear door latch while I was at it.

Started fabbing a bracket for my driveline brake cable today. Paper first...then cardboard... now on some 1/4" steel. Will have to find some pulleys to get the (yet to be made) cable properly routed.

Finally...(and by that I mean... FINALLY!)...I have an Allison tech coming by on Friday to check out my TPS rigging and help with setting up the wiring and shifter so this puppy can be flashed.

ONWARD!

Old 08-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #2502
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Lookin' good!
Old 08-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #2503
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Looking sharp and yes, the carpet will really make a big difference in the noise level. Its great that the Allison folk are willing to help. Not so with the very proprietary Isuzu people. They have a minimum $200 to hook up their computer diagnostics and then surcharges for each additional step. Worse yet, ONLY their scanner can communicate with their vehicles so if I were to break down somewhere in the boonies, I'd have to be towed to a metropolitan area to locate an Isuzu dealer. Today I found and bought a used Isuzu ISDII 2 dealer scanner with all the dealer functions and ready to plug and play. I'll carry it with me in the bus which should guarantee that I will never need the thing. My wallet is a lot thinner now as the tool cost $1500 Ouch! Jack
Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #2504
Bus Geek

Yowzer!!! $1500 bucks!? --- But then, those are the same folks (Isuzu) who greased me to the tune of well over $300 for a single, short steering shaft section. Basically a piece of pipe with a swivel on it. And while it may sound odd...here's hoping you never get any use out of that new toy Jack.

But, at the very least, I suspect you will have made Cadillac a bit envious
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #2505
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: e450 super duty
Engine: 7.3l ford powerstroke
I never been a fan of carpet in a rv, living in mine for a short period of time the dirt & dust was just outrageous, but im sure you are very aware of that issue. But whatever you choose im sure you will be happy with the decision. Your project will be on the move in no time.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:34 AM   #2506
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Lookin good Tango. I am so lookin forward to seeing it on the road. Have you ever come up with a name for her?
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!!
Old 08-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #2507
Bus Geek

I agree that carpet can be a real dust magnet, but when strategically placed, can also cut down significantly on engine noise and add insulation value. So it is a trade off in my case. Will use the shortest pile I can find. This rig actually came with carpet in the same area.

As far as the naming goes, it will probably be just "Hotel Tango". That is the military/avaiation phonetic version of H & T which has been my DBA for decades (The "H" was actually my ex-wife but I'm too cheap to spend another $15 bucks on a new DBA).

At one point I was considering "Hotel Tango de Isla Giatt" but that gets a bit long.

The "Isla Giatt" stands for...

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

I thought I was being really original in coming up with that one but a Google search found it on several boats. Nothing new in this world I guess.

Another option was to paint down each side...

Hotel Tango Scenic Tours

But I might attract unwanted "Commercial" attention with that one so just a small "Hotel Tango" is the most likely moniker.

Back to work...
Old 08-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #2508
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
How about "TANGOS WORLD TOURS" ?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #2509
Bus Nut

Regardless of what you name it, it will be 'The Bomb'! Can't wait to watch you drive it out of your shop. Will your 1st road trip be too Rehab?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #2510
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The "Isla Giatt" stands for...

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time
Nice acronym! It's difficult to come up with anything truly original in this world; give yourself partial credit. I thought I had invented YCMTSU (pronounced "yakamatsu", stands for "You Can't Make This $hit Up") until I googled it. Yours still gets a place in my favorite acronyms collection, right alongside DAMHIKT and TANSTAAFL.

I could see being married to a woman named Hotel as having a significant downside.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #2511
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I could see being married to a woman named Hotel as having a significant downside.
WOW, now that is a statement...... Good to see you're finally getting to build the interior! It's really looking good Tango! I'll be in that stage in a few months hopefully......

M
Old 08-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #2512
Bus Geek

Thanks All --- Really hoping the Allison guy gives me a thumbs up on what has been done so far. Trying to sort out an emergency brake right now. Ned to do some online digging and get some measurements before I go much further.

Ah, the joys of building from scratch!

M...best of luck with the interior. I am about to get more serious in that arena myself. Got lots of crap laying around that was built a year or so ago. Hope some of it still fits.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #2513
Bus Geek

Allison Guy Showed!!! --- He seemed to think the jury rigging I did on the TPS might actually work. In reality, we won't know until they hook it up to a laptop and get a reading, but I am a tiny bit relieved. He also helped me get the wiring harness hooked up so now I need to secure the TPS and controller and wiring so it doesn't all fall off.

BTW...Cadillac...I just discovered I had TWO harnesses and TPS's! Do you need a spare? I figure it wont be long before you do a transplant on your other bus now that you seem to be enjoying that shiny new 6 speed so much. If so, just let me know. I will make you the deal of deals.

From there I decided to re-locate my fuel filter & water separator. Had them down under but figured they would be more accessible under the hood. Now that I have the CAC/Rad in place, I know what kind of space I have to work with so, there it goes. Had to fab a bracket and some custom channel to fit the pair of filters onto then attach it to the frame.

Just the new mounting bracket. Need to pick up some nuts & bolts manana to fit the filters. And yes...I left a "weep hole" on bottom.

ONWARD!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #2514
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
fantastic on the allison!!! this is great news and one less thing you have to worry about! having a transmission is a good thing!!

weep-holes in the true spirt of the chevrolet roots of the bus!.. GM loved weep-holes.. the "drip-dry" bodies of the late 60s into the 70s ..

this bus is coming together quick now on a mechanical level!!! this is sweet!!
-Christopher
Old 08-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #2515
Bus Geek

More Brackets & Widgets & Gadgets --- Got my fuel filter and water separator relocated today. Just hope the fenders will still fit. And...I now have a TPS & TCM mounted and plugged in. Still need juice to them all but getting closer.

The filters now hang on a bracket bolted to another bracket that is welded to the frame. Hope to connect some fuel lines soon.

It may not look like much, but getting the TCM & TPS locked onto the frame and connected was a big step. Hey folks...I'm not Christopher! I know nothing about this part of the build except that I hope most of it works.

Now if I can just line up a Cummins tech to check out that other thing...the motor.

BTW...have I mentioned how much I enjoy welding upside down on stuff like this!?

ONWARD!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #2516
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
"BTW...have I mentioned how much I enjoy welding upside down on stuff like this!?"

Ain't any fun if it doesn't leave a scar!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #2517
Bus Geek

Well I wish you would have told me sooner Jack. Only now did I realize just how much fun I've been having all this time!
Old 08-06-2017, 03:22 AM   #2518
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
As my grandpa used to say (he died after he turned 100 back in 2014), "Ya ain't had fun until yer knuckles have bled, yer head is sore, or yer back muscles are complainin'." So according to him you've had quite a bit of fun there Tango!

M
Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #2519
Bus Geek

Yeah...I guess I have had a fair amount of fun with all this. Strange the things some humans find entertaining.

And may we all live well beyond 100 and enjoy it even more.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #2520
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
I agree that carpet can be a real dust magnet, but when strategically placed, can also cut down significantly on engine noise and add insulation value. So it is a trade off in my case. Will use the shortest pile I can find. This rig actually came with carpet in the same area.
Hey Tango, like you need any help spending more of your money, but have you considered any spray on heat/noise barrier coatings such as LizardSkin or Al's Liner HNR? (both are available from Amazon, Jeg's, Summit) and spray on with an undercoating gun or brush/roller. With that 4BTA paintshaker under the hood, you'll need every mm of noise barrier that you can get.
Spray-On Insulation - Automotive Insulation Coatings | LizardSkin
About Al's Liner Heat and Noise Reducer

Quote:
As far as the naming goes, it will probably be just "Hotel Tango". That is the military/avaiation phonetic version of H & T which has been my DBA for decades (The "H" was actually my ex-wife but I'm too cheap to spend another $15 bucks on a new DBA).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Closed Thread