Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #2721
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey Jack...yet another PhotoSuckit story. May they rot in Hell for mass extortion.

But yes, I'd love to see a couple of pix. I have figured out that I will likely need the front end to go straight up maybe 6 or 8 inches before it can tilt just to clear the bumper. Not impossible but it does complicate things a bit.

The chap I met with yesterday at my shop (a friend of several artists at my studio) turns out to be not only a really great guy, but a major car builder as well. He has a bunch of NASCAR, NHRA and really outrageous street machines in his portfolio. I am going over to his shop tomorrow or Friday to look around and dig through some "spare parts". Should be fun.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #2722
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango, Sounds like a good guy to know. You'll probably come home with a truck load of cool left overs. I'll sort out a few pics today and stick 'em on Skoolie. I got around the need to lift the front sheet metal over the bumper by following the KISS system. I mounted the front bumper on a pair of 4"wide 1/4" thick hinges so the bumper swings down and out of the way. Jack
Old 10-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #2723
Bus Geek

I am checking into having the bumper swing as well. Hope to avoid any compromise as the bumper on mine is extremely stout.

And looking forward to looking backwards and seeing that part of your build once more.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #2724
Bus Geek

Just in time for Halloween...

FRANKENFITTING!

Coming up with something that would fit around all the stuff crammed into the remote oil filter area was a nightmare. I can only hope there are not more of them when this abomination gets pressurized. Trying to get all the fittings tight while maintaining all the required angles was no easy feat and if this thing does not leak all over the place...it will be a miracle.

Meanwhile, back in the doghouse...

...the other end of the hoses look somewhat more conventional. Well, at least not quite as scary.

Now comes the challenge of getting the remote plate back on the motor with all that crap hanging off.

ONWARD??? Really?

Old 10-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #2725
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Just in time for Halloween...

FRANKENFITTING!

[B]

ONWARD??? Really?

That looks to be $100 in stainless -AN fittings. Whatever it takes to get to the next step in building your aircraft, er I mean bus.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #2726
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ha!! iove made a few of those over the years!!! did you get on grainger to see if you could find pre-mades in the form you need? eaton makes a TON of different O-ring boss and flare fittings.. in many different angles and configurations...

-Christopher
Old 10-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #2727
Bus Geek

In an effort to practice what I preach (KISS), I narrowed the tilt hood pics down to 10. By far the most important part was the paint stir stick mock up on the garage floor. That layout let me fiddle with the arms until they did what I wanted. Once that was done I just coppied the sticks in steel tubing, figured out mounts for the hood panels and radiator shell and fit each piece until it all came together. Two pics of the bumper hinges and the part of the front fender where it originally connected with the running board. Everything bolts on with 1/4 20's should I ever need to take it apart. Jack

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG].

[IMG][/IMG].

[IMG][/IMG].

[IMG][/IMG].

[IMG][/IMG].

[IMG][/IMG].

[IMG][/IMG].

[IMG][/IMG].
Old 10-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #2728
Bus Geek

Thanks Jack --- As I recall, you also came up with a clever latching system to keep it all in place. Any pix of that?

Rusty ---Ya...they are REAL proud of those fittings. By the time it was all said and done, I have well over $300 bucks in hoses and fittings.

Cadillac --- I worked with a local shop that builds all kinds of hoses for several of the big local truck shops. This stuff is a crazy mix of AN, JIC & old fashioned pipe thread. Since they had a big inventory on hand, I let them sort out what had to go where and even then it took several tries to find a combination that would fit.

Also...I Just learned about something called "gasket shellac". A new one for me but it is recommended for the tricky to fit gaskets that go on the remote filter plate. A Cummins rebuilder said nix to conventional gasket sealers and such on this part and to use the shellac. Off to try and find some. It is probably on the same shelf as the metric Crescent wrenches.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #2729
Bus Geek

Hey Tango. I think the latches were originally for some sort of steel cabinet. They fit flush with the upper surface and work with a lift and a twist. When latched they can be locked by turning the philips head screw a quarter turn. Jack[IMG][/IMG].

[IMG][/IMG].

They latch under a hidden foot step I use to stand on when I wash the glass.
[IMG][/IMG].
Old 10-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #2730
Bus Geek

Very cool...thanks again Jack.

Spent much of the day swearing very loudly. That damned remote oil plate may be the death of me yet. No room to do anything in place so I torqued all the fittings down as tight as possible then wrecked myself trying to install it and $50 bucks worth of new gaskets with something called "gasket shellac". Very messy stuff. After a long, drawn out and unusually bloody wrestling match, I finally got a couple of bolts started. Once pulled down and torqued, I started attaching the oil lines...only to discover that one of the #@!%%#@ fittings going into the plate had come loose!

Great!

I left and had several tall rum and sodas.

My task for tomorrow will be to try and make a tool that can tighten that one #@!%%#@ loose fitting.

I may need more rum.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #2731
Bus Geek

After the first one----drink the cheap stuff. J
Old 10-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #2732
Traveling

Quote:
Very cool...thanks again Jack.

Spent much of the day swearing very loudly.
My neighbors must think I have Tourette Syndrome. I was breaking drill bits like candy canes yesterday- and these are the vintage Hanson USA bits. I expect it with the chinese bits...ever have one of those untwist?? it's wild.

Everything looks better in the morning light. Your head will be clearer, alright, maybe not clearer after a few Cuba Libres... but you'll get 'er done. Be patient...almost there.

Some days it seems everything you touch turns to dog crap, other days it's the Midas touch and you are MacGyver.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #2733
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Tang,

Seeing if we're gillable? Slip us the fin? Just for the halibut? De-bait-able? I'll scale it back for ya...
They say that the pun is the lowest form of humor.
Who the hell oar they, and what makes them arbiters if what's funny? Seems folx swallow that hook, line, & sinker.
Being a trout-sider, I'm glad to have more company in the abyss! Pull up a perch, chum.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #2734
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Who the hell oar they, and what makes them arbiters if what's funny? Seems folx swallow that hook, line, & sinker.
Being a trout-sider, I'm glad to have more company in the abyss! Pull up a perch, chum.
ba-dump-bum

Tango- you need a set of crowsfeet flare wrenches. Great for hard to reach hydraulic fittings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-10-27-11-07-00-1.png
Views:	11
Size:	665.6 KB
ID:	16939

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-10-27-11-07-04-1.png
Views:	10
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	16940
Old 10-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #2735
Bus Geek

Oh thanks Guido...NOW you tell me. (I always wondered what them funny lookin doohickies were for)

OK...the remote plate is fitted (along with $50 bucks worth of new gaskets)...went through half a small bottle of Gasket Shellac (really nasty stuff I'd never heard of before)...and...managed to get a 1" wrench in to tighten up that one, loose fitting! Got plenty of bruises and lost a fair amount of blood in the process but at least that part is done.

Got the other end of the hoses hooked up today and realized I will almost certainly have to modify my plan for the doghouse due to where the hoses fall. Went immediately to the sheetmetal shop I dropped the doghouse plans off to nearly four months ago and they said... "we're ready to start on it tomorrow" (ya, right).

I can't decide whether to count my blessings...or stay pi$$ed off at how long the #@!$%# plans have been just sitting there!

Either way...

ONWARD!

PS:Pix will have to follow later. Gotta go watch the Houston Astros in the World Series...and drink a little more rum while I'm at it.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #2736
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Sounds like an east coaster and a high tider to me?
Where are you from?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:49 PM   #2737
Bus Geek

Astros beat the boys from LaLa Land tonight! They lead the series 2-1 with two more home games coming up. Go 'Stros! Win it at Home!

But seriously folks...it was nice just to not be bleeding for a short while. Here is the snakes nest that has had me in a bad mood for the last several days...

It's tight down there. And this is after removing the alternator which I foolishly tried working around for the first day or so.

Remarkably, nothing is hitting anything else. I added a little extra buffer to the lines with a piece of garden hose...just in case.

ONWARD!
Old 10-28-2017, 04:54 AM   #2738
Traveling

Quote:
Remarkably, nothing is hitting anything else. I added a little extra buffer to the lines with a piece of garden hose...just in case.

ONWARD!
Looks Excellent !

I like the flow arrows. I am always writing on engine parts with a Sharpie to assist me. It's part of a much larger system I call " Idiot Proofing ".
Old 10-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #2739
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
looks good dude!! what a pain.. yeah custom work.. . such a pain when making it all fit but oh such glory when you conquer a complex issue.. and something you'll be talkin about around the campfire drinking next to the bus in a campground some day!

-Christopher
Old 10-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #2740
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Tango's bus is gona be AMAZING!
Closed Thread