Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #1401
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Sorry I missed the beer fest, but just as I was about to pull out of the driveway the Swedish Bikini Team stopped by to see If I'd like to head to the gym with them for a workout---------

I'll be there next time for sure---Really. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #1402
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
There are a few things in life that really are worth breaking a sweat over.

I'm glad to hear your priorities are in order Jack.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #1403
Bus Geek

Just came across a unit that I might seriously consider swapping my shorty for...

Made by Hill Aircraft Company of Cincinnati. First I've ever seen of this Deco liner. Nice. Very nice.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #1404
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I am suspecting Tango is on a mission to make me drool all over the website AGAIN!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #1405
Bus Geek

Just for the record --- No. I haven't gotten squat done on my bus lately. Well...not ON it...but at least I have been chasing parts & tools so I CAN work on it. Someday.

You'd think that in a town the size of Houston you could find just about anything in the world right on the shelves. Not. Since I blew up my back a couple of weeks ago I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to source a few things I will need to complete replacing my frames main crossmember. Namely, a couple of dozen Grade 8 Flange bolts, 1/2" x 1-1/4" with matching, locking flange nuts in plain steel with a phos coating...and...a 1/2" drill bit to make the holes they go in.

First the bolts. No such animal anywhere in town. There are dozens of industril fastener supply companies but not a single one had anything in stock. Ergo...I finally gave up and ordered some. Ya...I could find them online, but with shipping they would be twice what I finally decided to pay to order 50 of each locally.

Then there is the drill bit. Trick there is the size combinations do not exist. At least not on this planet. I need a 1/2" bit...with a 3/8" shank...but the bit can only be 2" long. The only options involve having standard bits cut down. Either cut and re-grind the bit portion...or turn the standard 1/2" shank down to 3/8". I am doing the latter since it will A., be cheaper...and B., retain the original bit hardness.

Why all the trouble you ask? Well, fabbing & mounting a new crossmember turns out to be both tricky & demanding. And you have one shot at getting it right. In my case, that means having to drill critical mounting holes in a VERY tight space where only my 3/8" air drill will fit. Terrible choice since it runs way too fast for this kind of drilling, but nothing else I own even comes close to squeezing in where it needs to be.

We'll see how this works out probably next weekend. I should have all the pieces together and hopefully my back will once again allow me to bend enough to wedge myself under the bus and rain hot shavings down into my shirt collar.

Yes Jack...I know...pix, pix, pix. Should be funny.

ONWARD (even if somewhat slowly and erratically)!
Old 02-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #1406
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Onward is the right way to go, even if it is slow and erratic. Most of go slow and erratic as we deal with life, but the prize of a mostly converted (they are never all the way done) bus at the end is worth it.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #1407
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Oh Tango Tango Tango... been there soo many times-and I'm out in the woods. McMaster-Carr. The gas + time you wasted is surely more than $10 shipping. And with warehouses all over-it might be 1 day away.
Too bad we weren't neighbors-I'm sure I have a couple dozen of those bolts-common size on my race car. (And I'd loan you an angle drill too.)

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #1408
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Way to go sdwarf36. Now Tango can't work because he can't see through the tears you caused him to cry. I'm sure he'd feel a lot better if he posted a few pics for us. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #1409
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Then there is the drill bit. Trick there is the size combinations do not exist. At least not on this planet. I need a 1/2" bit...with a 3/8" shank...but the bit can only be 2" long. The only options involve having standard bits cut down. Either cut and re-grind the bit portion...or turn the standard 1/2" shank down to 3/8". I am doing the latter since it will A., be cheaper...and B., retain the original bit hardness.
Have you thought about using a unibit, (step drill bit) I have had real good luck with using the Greenlee brand bits. The 1/2" bit has to be close to 2" long. Some of the cheaper brand bits don't work.

Quick google search. Shopping

It says 3" long. But I believe that counts the shaft length that goes in the chuck too.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #1410
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvbuzz View Post
It says 3" long. But I believe that counts the shaft length that goes in the chuck too.
Mine is 3" total length.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote

« Out The Gate (OTG) | - »