Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #3341
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Given how wonky most of the older rigs are, it would risky to try and use any pattern other than the one that actually came out. I spent much of yesterday with my glass guy pulling all of mine and he noted differences from the right and left that you would think should be identical.

The one piece that is giving us trouble is the little wing/vent window. I am still trying to remove a couple of tiny screws that hold the frame together and will very likely have to drill them out.

And I changed my mind on the driver window. I have always loved that it was a roll down but there is simply no way we can make it water tight. Having seen the damage caused by pooling inside the walls I reluctantly decided to go with fixed glass. And the way the body is designed in that area I couldn't even replace it with an RV style slider. Made me sad

Will spend today cleaning up and painting all the metal lips where the new gaskets will go. Was pleasantly surprised to find virtually no rust.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #3342
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Always good to catch up on my favorite thread.... in the world
Old 07-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #3343
Bus Geek

Well Howdy Dredman! --- Long time no hear. How is the latest build coming along? Are you back on the road? Please...bring us up to date Bud!

Got started on cleaning up all the window metal today. Did NOT get much done. Just one side of the windshield. Will get more serious in the morning.

A little work with a high speed wire brush, then some self etching primer. Next will come some real paint. That will make it easier when the time comes for a full paint job after the glass is all in. Gotta take care of that hidden metal too.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #3344
Bus Geek

More Minor Movement --- managed to get the driver side cleaned up today. More work than it looks. First wire brush it all...then hit the surrounding area with a stripper pad...then a couple of coats of primer (self etching).

Only 6 more to go! Then..fill all the gaps with seam sealer and apply a coat of real paint.

ONWARD!
Old 07-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #3345
Bus Geek

Pretty good progress today --- Got the rear widows cleaned up and primed. Still need to have the glass guy extricate the wing window though. I got the frame off but will let him be the one to break it into pieces while removing it.

ONWARD!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #3346
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
roll up and vent windows..

https://www.chuckstrucksllc.com check here and see if any of the vent wing stuff looks correct for yours...

and an idea about the roll up. Instead of stopping any all the water... near impossible to do..

catch the water, and drain it where you want it to go.

Imagine if you will some like a large zip lock baggie.. the top of the zip lock is up at the edge of body work and the window rolls down into the baggie.

now.. make the baggie out of one or at most two layers of fiberglass... or if you know how to use or make a vacuum table make it out of some sort of thermal formed plastic -- two clam shells and glue/bond/bolt halves together.

you are going to have to take off the inner skin do do this.

you will have to think about the winder mechanisms and the space they occupy.

put a couple big drains in the pocket and route out of the wall.

all the sun roofs I have ever worked on, do not stop all the water coming in.

they all use a gutter with drains...

so dont stop all the water, but what gets in, give a way out so that it is not contacting the metal....

The link I included also has window winder mechanisms. If you look at the window winder closely you might even see who made it....

food for thought.......
Old 07-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #3347
Mini-Skoolie

FWIW, passenger car doors are the same. They aren’t designed to be waterproof, just to have the best channels and drains to keep water from the interior.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #3348
Bus Nut

A mechanic friend use to leave a rag in the bottom of the door and soak it it oil to stop rust. But if you keep the drain holes clear and do regular maintenance your doors should last.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #3349
Bus Geek

I looked into fabbing a drain system but decided I just did not want to go there so it will be a fixed window. At least I still have the wing vent.

Meanwhile...more boring window frame pix...

Threw on some paint around the frame edges to try and slow any rusting.

Also wound up doing a fair amount of minor Bondo work since I discovered a number of small dents and mystery screw holes here and there under the old paint.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #3350
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Your peeps! Fun looking stuff! https://jalopnik.com/texas-geniuses-...ing-1827541460

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
Old 07-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #3351
Bus Geek

Not quite a "Day Off" --- Sometimes ya just gotta back up in order to move ahead. This project has been going on so long now that I have completely lost track of many parts and also purchased others 2 or 3 times over the years.

So...today I tried to do a little organizing. It was soon apparent I needed another set of shelves just to sort out all the crap I have accumulated. While at Loews I also nabbed a number of plastic storage containers to help impose some order. By the end of the day I had found a bunch of stuff (bought years ago) that I will soon need and managed to compile more into somewhat recognizable groupings. Still a bit more to go through but hopefully I will cease acquiring more copies of stuff I already have.

ONWARD - ish???
Old 07-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #3352
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Ford/Willock
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Doesn't have one
Rated Cap: 16 passenger
Smile '46 Chevy Shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Not quite a "Day Off" --- Sometimes ya just gotta back up in order to move ahead. This project has been going on so long now that I have completely lost track of many parts and also purchased others 2 or 3 times over the years.

So...today I tried to do a little organizing. It was soon apparent I needed another set of shelves just to sort out all the crap I have accumulated. While at Loews I also nabbed a number of plastic storage containers to help impose some order. By the end of the day I had found a bunch of stuff (bought years ago) that I will soon need and managed to compile more into somewhat recognizable groupings. Still a bit more to go through but hopefully I will cease acquiring more copies of stuff I already have.

ONWARD - ish???
I too am cleaning, I had a hoarder live here for 3 years. During that time my health was pretty poor and I didn't know how much stuff he was dragging home from thrift stores, garage sales, Princess Auto and other places. When I finally showed him the door with help from another room mate, we didn't give him time to grab ANYTHING--he had to send a mutual friend to pick up the essentials of life for him.

Locating those essentials was a pain in the butt because my basement, Poor Pit Stop, my barn, and my storage shed were jam packed FULL of stuff he'd bought and some stuff he stole from us--so I'm glad I never let him have time to pack or I'd be missing a lot more things than I am.

Working in the heat clearing up all the junk (and rats nests) gave my one room mate a heart attack--he ended up in hospital and now has a shunt in one artery!

The rest of us kept cleaning, not only the hoarders junk, but our sick roomie's trailer as well. We've still got work to do in there and I've got to re-pack all the stuff I'm NOT keeping and get it gone.

Lots of stuff to go to the dump too, but we did find a lot of useful things (Like TOOLS!!!) and other things, including a mini woodstove for Pit Stop (TMS Military style) I ordered the kettle that clamps on the chimney so I'll be able to make tea or a meal out in Pit Stop once room-mate Tyler gives Pit Stop a new floor and we build a hearth and get heat shields. (see my post on the Heating thread)

We've found BBQ's, enough tents to house an army and enough dishes, pots, pans and cutlery (silverware--well stainless steel) to sit down and feed that army--we found food of course. Some of it had to be thrown out but most of it was still good and we're using it up.

Travel mugs, water bottles, thermoses in all sizes and shapes--and thats just outside!

I DREAD cleaning my basement. There's a ton of laundry to be done and got out of here to charity, bedding, books, batteries of all size except for a vehicle battery which I could use as we've borrowed a battery to keep my latest project going

My 1976 16-18 ft Prowler Wilderness--it has 3 "Oh Damn's" A split in the sewage tank, needs the plumbing re-done as the last person who owned it, loaned it out to someone who didn't keep heat in it and didn't drain the water over winter--so we've got some split pipes and the taps are off the kitchen sink, last "Oh Damn is the oven has a glitch, pilot light goes out when the oven gets up to temp. Oh and there's a part we can't get for the furnace, (so 4 "OH DAMN'S)

I never got a chance to clean it before Rob had to live in it after his heart attack, so when we're done with cleaning his trailer, I'll scrub it out and Rob will fix the plumbing

So I've got LOTS on the go. I'll be out in Pit Stop tomorrow evening when it cools off, cleaning out more junk. Cheers all--and if you don't hear from me for a while again, the mess in the basement ate me
Old 07-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #3353
Bus Geek

Doing stuff I really SUCK at! --- Hey all. Me and Bondo have never been close. My bodyworking skills are right down there with my understanding of things electrical. That is to say...just about zilch on a scale of 0 to 24. But hey...nobody else is around so here I go.

Got a bis ass hole in my roof I need to patch. Looked like maybe a tree limb might have done a dent & gash. I cut out the worst part and planned on welding in a patch but...there is tarpaper on the inside that would light off so I am looking at riveting a piece in. Thank goodness it will get a heavy coat of rubber roof paint.

Got a piece of 16 ga. rolled to more or less match the roof curve...now to try and fit it in and rivet it in place.

Also spent way too much time & patience trying to smooth out another patch job on the lower cowl. Nothing to write home about but a tiny bit better than the big ding that was there from an earlier patch job I did.

ONWARD!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #3354
Bus Geek

More boring windshield pix!!! --- sorry, but this is most of what I got done today. I remembered that I had a pint sample of my chosen color (1936 Cadillac Colonial CREAM) and figured what the hey. Why not shoot a little around the soon to be installed new glass & rubber gaskets? Should make taping off the rubber a little easier without having a different color showing around the edge when the final paint is thrown on.

As usual with computers, the color is hardly exact, but it is close and I like it. Should look pretty OK with black & red accents. It is the same color I put on a 1966 Dodge Town Wagon I owned back in 1969. Loved that truck and the slant six. Had over 370,000 miles on it when I let go of it and never had to take a wrench to it. Maybe the color will provide as much good luck on this build.

ONWARD!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #3355
Bus Nut

DAMN, my man. That is going to be beautiful. 1st thing that came to my mind, was that Super Group, Cream. Absolutely No idea why. The suspense is killing us.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #3356
Bus Geek

Thanks 1Ol' --- Rub rails and fenders will be John Deere Blitz Black. It is a really nice satin black that hot rodders have been using for decades. Might throw in a little of the red somewhere on the outside as well.

And I called the color wrong. It is 1936 Cadillac Colonial CREAM...not yellow.

Like what is on this beauty...

https://grautogallery.com/vehicles/4...60-convertible

Why can't someone make a car that beautiful today?

But that pic kinda makes me want whitewalls.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #3357
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Wooo looks good I like the color. Vintage for a vintage.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 PM   #3358
Bus Nut

I always loved the '52 Caddy convertible in the cream. It's a very warm color.
As for the '46, maybe a red pinstripe or two, on/or in the black rails.

I have no doubt that you will nail it.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #3359
Bus Geek

That must have been a very popular color. GM used it from the 1930's all the way into the '70's I believe under a couple of different names.

Very close to the color on another car I have long been in love with...Tom Mix's 1937 Cord 812 Supercharged Phaeton. Check out the hand carved leather stone guards on the rear fenders. Beautiful car...beautiful restoration.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17327/lot/224/
Old 07-18-2018, 11:59 PM   #3360

1st post, I decided to join when I saw this thread.
Closed Thread