Old 05-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #1671
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Thanks All --- Lots more to do but the steering was major hang up for way too long.

Cadillac...Yes, I am using the power steering box from an '03 Isuzu NPR. It's the same unit that Ol' Trunt (Jack) has in his rig. My Cummins has a hydraulic pump that should be able to drive it plus the power disk brakes I have installed.
The shifter for mine will also include a "Park" position and as I recall reads down from the top as...P-R-4 (OD) 3-2-1. You can pick any gear needed. The only button is a mechanical lockout to go between gears. If you find a tranny with no shifter, go to Ebay, I see brand new ones there all the time at a big discount...just not with Park. And make sure any tranny you buy comes with the dipstick and wiring harness. They are both a royal PITA to source otherwise.

Robin...beyond a few "shakedown" test runs, I will very likely head for the Big Bend/Davis mountains area in west Texas. I love the high desert out there and want to buy a couple of acres to park on during cross country trips. Also looking in several other areas. I think having a couple of pieces of your own land here and there makes sense. And undeveloped land can be had very cheaply. With a self contained RV, you can stay just about anywhere for about a month with no fees, hassles or neighbors to whine because..."it's not an RV...it's a school bus". With taxes on such properties running about $25 bucks a year, it just makes sense to me. And a few of us here have discussed forming a club of schoolies to share such such properties. To HELL with KOA!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #1672
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the idea of a hydraulic power steering pump built into the engine was new to me.. it became an issue for me trying to order an A/C bracket... i kept tellign them yes I have power steering.. yet the pictures looked totally different.. so when I was down and saw the bus the other day (still in progress).. I set out to find the power steering pump.. and sure enough it looks to be gear driven..

for the tranny I wont need Park since I have air brakes.. and the 1000 supposedly uses the same shifter and dipstick as the 545.. the folks at CAC (thank you for the link!) have a package which includes the TCM and wiring harness .. if I do the swap im likely to do brand new or reman.. im not gonna mess with trying to find a used one.. I plan to put a lot of miles on this bus so I want it to run as best it can..

so when you downshift you will go directly from 6th to 3rd.. or maybe as advanced as the new allisons are it will only downshift as much as your engine can take for its redline... interesting..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #1673
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango. Being a desert rat myself, I checked out the Davis mtn area on the net--it is beautiful and the weather looks to be about perfect. At 6000 feet or so its not too hot and not too cold. Not sure I'll ever get there, but it's on my list. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #1674
Bus Geek

Cadillac --- Downshifting is auto in OD...then mechanical from 4th on down but with mechanical, you can go from any gear to any other.

Jack
--- Ya ...the west Texas high desert area is pretty spectacular. More stars than any where this side of the deep Pacific (ask me how I know). Especially in the Davis mountain area, but I do love Big Bend. Google "El Solatario" for a real treat. Massive circular feature 11 miles across that is visible from space. Pre-historic super volcano that left an amazing geo feature. Very cool. And almost no one seems to have heard of it.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #1675
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

We opted to over weld the joint and not grind it. It needs strong...not purdy.
You might want to consider smoothing out the weld with a carbide burr bit or something similar. It won't reduce the strength of the weld any but will look cleaner and may eliminate any hassle in the future if you're truck is getting inspected for any reason and they see the "raw" welded joint. If you smooth it out and then paint it it should look good and eliminate the chance of any hassles. Just something to consider. I like how you were able to find the gear from a modern vehicle and mate it to fit the existing part.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #1676
Bus Geek

Been pullin' fuel hose for a couple of days now and it was getting boring. Also had to weld on a bunch of home-made attachments for holding straps and add some abrasion resistant covers to much of the hose. Not very exciting but at least some progress. And given that my water separator and fuel filter will be here on Monday or so...good timing.

They are big and I'm still trying to figure out just where they might fit. Oh well...that's what weekends are for, right?

Maybe a couple of pix to come. We'll see.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #1677
Bus Geek

are the water separator and fuel filter typically the same thing? I found a LARGE device under my hood that says water separator.. is that likely my fuel filter too?
-Christopher
Old 05-20-2016, 11:33 PM   #1678
Bus Geek

Howdy Cadillac --- They can be combined into a single unit or they can be separate so it is hard to tell. If it only says "water separator" on it, then it is likely just that. Today's fuel is so full of water and crap that diesels really need good filtering of both to be on the safe side. The water can be an engine killer so it's pretty critical. I have been reading up on fuel over on the "4BTswaps" forum and decided to go with separate units.

They take up a fair amount of space between the two so I am looking at a couple of possible locations other than in the engine bay. The better units have a drain to draw off the water so they need reasonable access. That is the tricky part on my micro-bus. Room. The one thing I have very little of.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:44 PM   #1679
Bus Geek

mine has the drain in the bottom, and was just replaced.. actually all kinds of filters and things were just replaced.. if mine is combined I wont worry about trying to find a fuel filter.. I think it says on it that its a filter and a water separator...

so i guess its just like in an airplane Pre-flight... drain a bit of fuel off the water separator every so often ... im trying to imagine where you will put something like that in your space.. mine is 4-6 inches in diameter and 8-10 inches tall.. thats the element and its housing.. plus the bracket and routing the fuel lines to it.. wonderif you would be best to mount it closer to your tank and not try for in the engine compartment.. but then maybe you want that device warmer in winter...
-Christopher
Old 05-22-2016, 01:36 AM   #1680
Bus Geek

Another rainy day n Houston --- Good thing I'm working indoors...even if the crappy, old roof leaks. Got a couple of items wrapped up and others started.

The supply and return fuel lines are in place now. Being a little paranoid, I took the liberty of trying to shield them from abrasion. Had to weld some elevator bolts in place to have something to hold them but they should stay put for a while.

This is an attempt to fabricate a throttle cable bracket. There will be a bell crank at the top that a cable will pull on and the crank will tug a short shaft with Heim joints to work the throttle. Took a lot of time to put together and I won't know if it will work until I can get the dash/firewall in.

And Cadillac...this is no ordinary cardboard box. In reality, it is a working mockup for my dual fuel filters. Yep...they are big. About 11" tall x 8-1/2 wide and almost 7" deep. I have surmised it will NOT be going in the engine bay. Checking a couple of locations this weekend.

ONWARD!