Old 06-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #161
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: '46 Chevy Shorty

Hey '49, that's interesting. I checked my notes against my recollection and found the rear frame members to be 34" o/c while the front frane at the front axle was only 25" o/c. I don't have the frame any longer but it didn't look modified as I recall. I'll keep an eye out for another '35 Chevy SKOOLIE to measure.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #162
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

My bad --- My main frame rails are spread 31" with the front about 25". Misread what the question was. Thought it whether the front rails tapered in the way the hood does.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #163
Bus Crazy

Hey Tango, It was that 25" issue that finally got me started on a complete frame change. The Isuzu diesel was just too fat to get in the space without cutting the frame. If memory serves me right I think you have a better chance getting the Cummings in as it is taller and narrower. Oh, and thanks for the note--I was beginning to think I was loosing it! Don't ask my wife though because I'm sure she would say that I had lost it when I started this project--just kidding now, I couldn't ask for a more supportive spouse! I can hardly wait to hear how your bus fits together so get wrenching
Old 06-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #164
Bus Geek

Ya..it's gonna be a tight squeeze, but like I said...based on the book measures oughta' fit without too much torching. Routing all the other "stuff" will be the big challenge. I'm finally getting close to wrapping up the underbody work on the main tanks (fuel & poo...killing my back). Can't wait to start on something that will actually be seen. The skin work will be tricky for me since I've never done anything like it before, but what the hey. Life is for learning, right? The motor & tranny install will be left to someone more experienced if I can afford it. Otherwise, I may not live long enough to ever actually drive this rig.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #165
Bus Geek

Howdy All --- getting close to wrapping up the fuel & black/gray tank installation (finally). Been a royal pain working under this old girl. Not tall enough to sit up...not low enough top lay down. Here's the latest...

The 44-gallon fuel tank is sporting its' new filler neck, drain and a return line, so it's ready for some diesel. Hope to be checking the sending unit this weekend.

The combination black/gray tank is hung and ready for locating the various inlets from the toilet, sink drains and a vent. The 3" square tubes above it are just for spacing to ease attachment of lines & such.

The drain will be accessed via a small hatch (yet to come). The tank itself hangs on full length angle iron supports and will also have 3" wide straps at each of the four all-thread points.

Meanwhile...since the gas guzzling 350 Chevy still moves it about, this is the temporary tank. Think outboard motor.

The newly rebuilt Cummins 4BTAA will soon get married to the 2012 Allison six-speed automatic. Then the fun really begins...figuring out how to stuff it all under that Art Deco front end. Hey Trunt...you sure you don't want to move to Texas?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #166
Bus Crazy

Tango, Why don't you TEXANS just anex Calif--That way we could be neighbors! That is a very "sanitary" job you have done on the black/grey tank. I've yet to face that part of the project but I sure will cut off the lower sheetmetal like you did before I begin!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #167
Bus Geek

Hey Trunt...I monitored Ebay for several months and lo & behold, found both tanks in the perfect sizes. The (new) black/gray is heavy walled ABS and designed to be hung from the 3/4" thick lip along the edges, but I'm adding four straps below anyway (never engineer anything you can over-engineer).

The aluminum fuel tank was a used marine gasoline tank in the right size but needed some mods. Relocated and extended the fill, added a return (for diesel) and also added a drain. Still worked out much cheaper than having one built to specs. I'm putting a steel rock guard underneath since aluminum won't take much abuse. Both tanks will be isolated from wear/corrosion using 1/8" rubber.

The only advice I can offer is to raise the bus or work in a pit. They seem to be exactly the right height to kill your back when working under them.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #168
Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: intl loadstar 1653
Engine: D150 V8 diesel
Rated Cap: 48

Tango, like how your doing your tanks, what is the capacity of your black/grey tank? I'm also looking at the structure of your walls and wondering if the method of construction Superior used varied much between '46 and '78. didn't think I would have to remove the lower outer skin, but alas, my floors are very rusty, so I just might have to take it off for a proper repair.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #169
Bus Geek

atcc77 --- The black/gray is 44 gallons. It is held up in compression against a 3" spacer by the angle iron rail that has the all-thread and nuts on them but will soon have four, three inch wide straps underneath to help support some of the weight. Since I have so little room, I decided to go with the black/gray combo and save a little plumbing.

And, my body is by Wayne, so I can't comment on the Superiors, but I chose to remove the lower skin due to rust at the floorline under the rubrails. The floor itself was in great shape. I figure replacing the damaged skin with fresh metal to be a better long term solution than patching might have been. Biggest change is that the new skin will be welded to the ribs rather than fitted in between which is how it came. I'm thinking cutting & replacing will be fairly simple if I ever have the need to do any repairs. The way it was originally put together, the whole bus would practically need to be disassembled to replace any given panel.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #170
Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: intl loadstar 1653
Engine: D150 V8 diesel
Rated Cap: 48

I don't know why I thought your bus was a superior, it says right there on the side its a wayne. Oh well, it looks like the two companies used similar methods. I am slightly envious that all your under bus stuff is done, can't wait to see how you shoehorn that big ol motor in there!