Nice work on the sofa bed frame...I envy your welding skills
Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #2092
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Thanks BC...It's amazing how much better you can make welds look with the right grinder.

After another dozen or so in & outs, I now have the gas pedal and steering pretty much worked out.

Wound up "revising" the way the linkage attaches to the pedal. You can't see it, but I spent way too long making a teeny, tiny little welded eye that connects the cable to the pedal. But at least it is now in and functioning.

On the backside of the box is where the return springs attach to the throttle arm on the engine. I like having two in case one fails.

And here it is with the steering linkage in place. Still working on a small bracket that will stabilize the column where the bearing is located then on to the really BIG task...the brakes that have to go in there somewhere.

Advice to anyone thinking about converting an antique school bus into an updated, highway capable RV...

START YOUNG!!!

ONWARD!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #2093
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Amen to that Tango!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #2094
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yeppers you are doin a skoolie conversion PLUS building a Street rod!!!!

ive done the hotrod thing.. though never built a complete modern streetrod out of a 40s car.. I have helped on a few such projects.. and they looked and felt very much like you are doing.. lots of custom fab and custom Re-Fab when you discover the first time around wouldnt work
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #2095
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thanks BC...It's amazing how much better you can make welds look with the right grinder.

After another dozen or so in & outs, I now have the gas pedal and steering pretty much worked out.

Wound up "revising" the way the linkage attaches to the pedal. You can't see it, but I spent way too long making a teeny, tiny little welded eye that connects the cable to the pedal. But at least it is now in and functioning.

On the backside of the box is where the return springs attach to the throttle arm on the engine. I like having two in case one fails.

And here it is with the steering linkage in place. Still working on a small bracket that will stabilize the column where the bearing is located then on to the really BIG task...the brakes that have to go in there somewhere.

Advice to anyone thinking about converting an antique school bus into an updated, highway capable RV...

START YOUNG!!!

ONWARD!
You left out the second part Tango.......... And have lots of money or be willing to take some constructive criticism !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:03 AM   #2096
Bus Geek

Just a couple of detail shots...

This was a nail-biter. It is the bracket I had to make and install that holds the steering shaft bearing in place. Everything had to line up just right.

And this tiny bit of metal was a bear as well. It is the new clevis attachment for the throttle cable. Fabbing & welding stuff this small is royal pain.

Now if I can just figure out where the heck to stuff all the brake parts I have laying around.

ONWARD!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #2097
Bus Nut

Tango the Fab work looks like it's coming along pretty good. It's a good thing my friend that you are not a big guy....... boy would you be cramped.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #2098
Bus Geek

Roger that. The roof is so low that I need not fear being invaded by giants...or...normal sized people.

Could well be The Hobbit Bus. Hmmm...wonder what kind of insulation growing grass on the roof would provide...
Old 02-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #2099
Bus Nut

That's the idea Tango. Always thinking !!! Do you have room for a snare ?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #2100
Bus Geek

Back to boat building --- At least that's what I call the woodwork necessary to accommodate all this old gals curves. Forget true & square, nothing is either on this puppy so you wind up cutting every piece to fit whatever compound angles she might have.

Putting wall panels into the passenger side rear quarter called for making a number of blocks to attach the new wood onto.

Here is a test fit of the wall panels. The center, lighter segment is formed with "bender board", a very flexible type of specialty plywood. Handy stuff.

After a great deal of careful fitting, cutting & routing, several coats of shellac were applied and some radiant barrier insulation applied to the backside of each panel.

The space between the inner & outer wall is minimal, but I decided to try and use it anyway by cutting an access opening. In a Shorty, you gotta try and use every cubic inch. A hatch cover for this will be forthcoming.

Here's what the back of that panel looks like. As with the others, it required more time than I would have liked, but fitting was a bear.

It will be a while before I actually do the final installation of the panels, but at least most of the done.

ONWARD!