Old 07-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #2421
Mini-Skoolie

feel the need to jump in here. I have been lurking here for a couple of years and following along on your build with great interest since the beginning. Great job BTW! I have lived in Texas all my life (just North of Dallas) all my life (66yrs. last week), and been a licensed electrician for the last 40+years. I think you have things well under control with your wiring idea. The PVC should give you no trouble due to heat from the road. The plastic plumbing idea you have is very similar to what we in the trade call "smurf pipe". Found in any big box store. as far as the wire. What ever color you are going to use is fine. helpful to color code for future reference. definitely run a ground, either green or bare. If you are running single wires, go for THHN or THWN. Either of these are rated for 60*C. wire insulation is rated for "internal temp". #12 THHN or THWN is rated for 40A at 600V. not sure what you are going to hook up, but they should do what you need to do. Almost forgot, in this case, I would recommend stranded wire, easier to pull, and better with vibration. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Dowoplover
dowoplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #2422
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Thanks to all for the feedback --- Given that I have zero electrical experience, I went to a couple of folks who do. One your standard housing guy and the other an RV electrician of many years. I simply bought what they recommended (both agreed on the 10/3 wire and type) then I opted for the pool hose as the conduit. Regular PVC conduit would never make all the bends necessary and I could not find the "smurf pipe" in the 2" size I needed.

Still more to sort out but hopefully it won't all melt down. The biggest draw will be 15 amps for a tiny microwave.

I start cutting and pulling wire tomorrow.

ONWARD!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #2423
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Tango,

I'm sort of stealing your PVC idea.... LOL

M
Old 07-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #2424
Bus Geek

Howdy M --- With all the room you have down under, I hope your routing goes easier than what I've been dealing with. As for the pool hose, it is very tough stuff. Made to lay in the sun and be dragged all over rough surfaces. Way more flex than anything else I could find. I will be pulling the wiring through it today. My plan is to get all four wires inside it while off the bus...then, route the whole package.

And as one of the posters noted...the fine, multi-stranded wire is much more flexible than the stuff with fewer, larger strands. Really big difference. And one of the electricians stated that the finer wire actually has a little less resistance even though it is the same gauge (?).
Old 07-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #2425
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
do you use single stranded wires or will you use something like SO cable that offers yet one more layer of protection?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #2426
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I took a gander under my DEV bus which spent most all its life in Ohio.. being run in the "second snow belt" of the state as I call it.. west central ohio gets a ton of snow every year.. underneath the wires are in that plastic black split-tubing.. that bus is a 1991... I decided for kicks to pull off some of that tubing... while the tubing itself wass a bit brittle it didnt crumble in my hands.. and the wires (even in split tube) were in fine shape.. not the least bit brittle..

I like to think your pool tube will last just fine... im a believer that UV kills thiungs faster than road heat , salt, or grime..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #2427
Bus Geek

Electro-Dolt that I am...I have no idea what this stuff is called now. Forget what it was they said to order...but below is a pic...

The copper strands are finer than "standard" and the insulation on both the individual wires and the outer casing seem quite a bit heavier than I am used to seeing.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #2428
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
What you have there is from the SO family of cord. Might be SO, SOW, SOOW, SJOOW, etc. One of these codes or another very similar will be printed in the outer jacket of the cord.

Its stranding is much finer than building wire such as THHN, which makes it much more flexible (SO's rubber insulation in place of THHN's PVC helps, too). It's designed to endure portable cord applications where it'll be coiled and straightened, walked on, dragged, etc.

The idea that the resistance of stranded is lower than comparable solid wire is a popular mis-application of a true physical phenomenon called "skin effect." Many folks hear the name of the effect and think that's all there is to know. Few take the time to look up the math to find that the skin depth at 60 Hz in copper is about 8.5 mm (wikipedia) -- it has no meaningful effect for our AC power wiring until a wire reaches 17 mm diameter. For comparison, 4/0 conductor has a diameter around 11.6 mm.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #2429
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
You are correct. I work for a local muni electric dept. outside diameter of wire is the key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
The idea that the resistance of stranded is lower than comparable solid wire is a popular mis-application of a true physical phenomenon called "skin effect." Many folks hear the name of the effect and think that's all there is to know. Few take the time to look up the math to find that the skin depth at 60 Hz in copper is about 8.5 mm (wikipedia) -- it has no meaningful effect for our AC power wiring until a wire reaches 17 mm diameter. For comparison, 4/0 conductor has a diameter around 11.6 mm.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #2430
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
whats the difference in that hose vs the "convoluted" tubing or whatever the black plastic ribbed wiring harness is... that stuff in both my busses is still in good shape underneath after the age of the busses..

if he pulled SO through there would that give an extra layer of protection?
-Christopher
Well now that we know what type of wire he is using I can respond. Sure that pool hose may work technically to get the job done. The other technicality is "INSURANCE". Should that bus happen to burn for whatever reason the adjusters will see that and end of story. After all that hard work and money invested, it should be done properly.
Of course it provides an extra layer of protection but increase the heating of the SO cables which are better in free air and rarely if ever run in a configuration like that.

John