Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #481
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: '46 Chevy Shorty

Like I said...30 is my "target" and I actually hope to get to it or real close. I have heard from a number of 4BT transplanters who swear to have documented 30+ in larger vehicles that outweigh mine by 4-5000 pounds. The trick is to tune for mpg, gear it right and stay in the engines "sweet spot". In my case that is 1800 rpm which will yield 63mph in 6th gear. Of course the proof is in the pudding so I'll just have to wait and see how all the theories come together. The RPM/speed and estimated mpg are all consistent with the read out I got from Allison on this engine/tranny/gear & tire combo so I remain hopeful. It would be easier to pull off using a newer, computer controlled engine but they are really twitchy to keep up and many times more expensive to maintain so I went with the older "two-wire" motor. It will never be a hot rod but that's not what I was aiming for.

Been scouring Craig's List, Ebay and the local sources but haven't seen a single rolling gantry anywhere nearby for under a few grand. Looks like I may be welding up a home-built A-Frame rig next week. I just don't trust my cheapo harbor Freight/Chinese hydraulic engine hoist with this package for some reason. Not very maneuverable anyway.

Onward!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #482
Bus Geek

in reality 30 shouldn't be a problem as soon as you find that combo's "sweet" spot

hell I got 35 mpg in a "chipped" 6spd 99 camaro at 63/65 mph that didnt happen often tho

When you have enough torque to cruise at a fast idle at 60/65mph anything is possible

I bought a 69 firebird from a guy that had it overseas on the autobon,it was a 400 4bbl with 2.90(?) rear gear it wasnt the fastest off the line but it "idled" at 65 and would run 145 mph all day long; anything quicker made the frontend float scary shiat
Old 03-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #483
Bus Geek

Happy Easter All! --- spent mine putzing around with a variety of things on the bus. Most notable was altering the rear wheel cutouts. Just was not happy with either the factory (way small and funky looking) or my first try (just not Art Deco enough). I scaled it down and gave it more sweep and I much happier with it. It will also mean a lot less work when it comes time to seal things up and keep the outside out.

After being away from it for so long, I'm having a hard time remembering where the heck I was on so many things. Hopefully it will all start coming back.

Below are a few pix comparing the original, the first try and the final on the wheel opening. Next challenge will be to convert the "concept" to metal.

The original cutouts...

...the first (big) cutout pattern...

..the Easter solution. Bigger than original but smaller & more swoop than the first try.

Only a tiny amount of the actual wheel well well needed trimming.

Still plenty to keep me busy if I can just remember where I left off on so many things so many months ago.

Onward!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #484
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Hey Tango. Most definately the Easter solution--more of a tear drop look, way nicer. Sure glad you are finally able to spend some time on your bus. I can't wait to see daily pics of your doings as you install that engine/tranny!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #485
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Spats!

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #486
Bus Geek

X3
Old 04-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #487
Bus Geek

Right now I'm onto building a rolling gantry before I can get anything done on installing the engine. Even the Chinese junk versions were so overpriced I decided just to make one. I already had a set of four 1500# casters and about half the steel, so instead of a couple of grand plus the trolley & hoist, it looks like I can bring the whole thing in for about $400 bucks total. And if I get really lucky, there may be a chunk of 6" I-Beam in the cutoff/scrap area that is about the right size. That would save me another $100 bucks. And... when I'm done I could probably sell it for $800 in a heartbeat and still be doing someone a big favor.

I just love my Miller mig!

Onward!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #488
Bus Geek

You go!!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #489
Bus Nut

------------------------> Onward ---------------------------->

Best of luck on your build.
We'll all be watching...
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #490
Bus Geek

Yup, if it sounds like baccon fry'n and it isn't in the kitchen---its the Miller weld'n!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #491
Bus Geek

Gotta' love that "sizzle"! And the best thing about the new Millers is that they make even me look like I know how to weld!

Not!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #492
Bus Geek

Hi Guys 'n Gals --- took delivery on a 195" frame today. Bought it for a hundred bucks. I figure the wheels are worth more than that. Especially if they have to be shipped. Had fantasized that it might have the elusive 5.43 gearing but no such luck. Ah well, if I'm stuck with a 6.17 at least now I have a spare rear end. Was planning on yanking both axles but I'm now convinced this rig is not the 1.5T I was told it was, but rather a 2T. The front axle and steering are different than what is on mine. Will still pull the axle, steering & such. Hey, ya never know with these old rigs. Something just might fit. Meanwhile, there is some info below that may help any other Skoolies with questions about their early Chevy rear ends.

Frame is in great shape overall. Had just been sandblasted but two days of sitting in the rain brought out the oxides.

A little oil & wire brushing helped me locate the rear axle ID number. Never could find it on mine until I saw it on this one. It is located at the top of the center section between the two top ribs.

and if you pull the inspection plate...

...the gear count & ratio are stamped onto the flat, inner surface of the ring gear.

Unfortunately for me, this one is definitely the 6/37 count which works out to be the 6.17 ratio.

Dang.

If anyone is in the market for a bare '42-46 long wheelbase (195") Chevy truck frame just gimme a call and come & get it for free. I'm hoping it finds a home before I have to chop it up for a scarp yard.

Onward!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #493
Bus Geek

Hey Tango, I had you rollin' down the road with your 5:43. Sorry the new frame didn't have the right part. Maybe you can sell it and pocket a little profit--hope so.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get the '35 sheet metal to cover the new frame. Sure wish the new frame rails were narrower. Oh well.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #494
Bus Geek

I know the feeling Jack --- My engine fit will likely go the other way...but you can only cut out so much frame!

Confirmed today that the spare frame is indeed a 2T but I just may swap the whole front axle assembly into mine anyway. It is only 1/2" wider ( 1/4" each side) but there is a chap over on the Stovebolt that is working up a killer front disk kit for 2 tons that would make life a lot sweeter...and safer. We'll see.

Need to start searching for a power steering set up that I can transplant too.

Oh the joys of rehabbing.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #495
Bus Geek

Well Howdy Guys & Gals --- finally getting a little bit of work done on the bus. Spent a week fighting a front rim that was rust-welded onto the drum and now have to do battle with the duallies. I now have a greater appreciation for why no one makes "Hub Centered" wheels anymore. Sheesh!

Also wrapped up all the trimming, fitting and sealing on the passenger side rear wheel well. They have to be at a certain point before I can begin to think about skinning and since this unit is so short, I also had to accommodate my sofa/bunk. It will fit partially over the aforementioned well. I'm now working on the driver side well which is yet another sequencing act. The combo shower/toilet has to fit (very snugly) over it.

And, I even got a little more done on the back porch. The mounting brackets were a little tricky and the frame a b*tch to drill, but at least I can de-mount the whole thing if need be.

As for the engine & tranny, I first have to build an A-Frame to hoist and position that package. I just don't have that much faith in my Chinese hydraulic hoist for some reason.

Here's a few pix...

Passenger wheel well with steel mounts for sofa bed and a storage cabinet (yet to come). This side is now ready to skin but I'm waiting till some other body work is done first.

I'm using commercial automotive "Seam Sealer" on just about everything that opens to the great outdoors. Good stuff but takes forever to cure.

Here are my frame extensions (and spreaders) that will support the deck on back. They are now wide enough to accommodate my giant spare tire underneath the porch. I'm also installing a cable hoist to raise and lower that big, heavy sucker.

Since it will be hanging out back by three feet, I want it to be readily removable (just in case), so the whole thing will be bolted on rather than welded (which would be much, much easier BTW).

Onward!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #496
Bus Geek

Hey Tango, as always, very handsome work. When I first saw that gear shift linkage with the boot back by the reat tire I thought "Wow, and I thought my shift was remote being to the left of the driver" I guess that is a tank filler?--hard to see things clearly here on my Comador 64 computer.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #497
Bus Geek

Ha! --- Easy to see how it looks like a shifter but yep, it is the fuel fill. Since it's a diesel (or will be someday), it needs a big vent . And the shift boot worked out to be a great seal. I borrowed a couple of quality punches from a friend and cut the openings to a nice snug fit. Shame that the chrome will be hidden under the sofa/bed.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #498
Bus Geek

And...

Should you ever encounter an old Chevy hub piloted rim that just won't give up and come off...this is what finally worked for me...

Weld a half-inch nut over an open lug hole in the rim (on the front they only use 5 of the 10 holes)...

Run a half-inch bolt in against the flange and...Voila'...it pushes it off. (It took me a week to get to this solution)

When off, just cut & grind the nut flush and you are back in biz.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #499
Bus Geek

I just love nasty down and dirty solutions like that --now I just have to remember it
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #500
Bus Geek

Roger that Jack, me too --- Now if I can just come up with an "NDADS" that will work on the rear duallies I'll be a happy camper. They use all ten lugs so this trick won't work back there and with the outer rim reversed you can't really hook anything into the hand holes. Trying to rig some kind of chain wrap through them combined with a bottle jack but first need to make a protective cover for the axle cap.

“It just goes to show you, Jane . . . its always something. If it isn't one thing its another.”

Roseanne Rosanadanna

Onward!
Closed Thread