Old 10-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #2671
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Good thing I occasionally check with the Cummins guys at 4BTswaps. Turns out I screwed up on mounting the turbo blanket. I just went by some pix I saw but it does NOT mount that way on my Holset HX30W. The way I had it might well have cooked something. It needs to be relocated towards the rear half rather than over the front portion of the turbo. I am a total Diesel Dunce...thank goodness there are folks out there to check my work!

ONWARD!
(and occasionally, a few steps back)
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #2672
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so does it mount over the turbine and not the compressor?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #2673
Bus Geek

Affirmative Christopher...on the turbine end. Thank goodness I also posted a pic where some real deiselheads noticed I had it bassackwards.

Spent part of the day today mocking up what is the smallest "big rig" style, cowl mount air filter...

...even the smallest is HUGE! Not gonna work for a variety of reasons. I am however, looking into what it would involve to cut one down to size...literally. We'll see where this goes.

Then I threw some rust killer treatment on the last of the exposed floor.

This is the area around the doghouse. I also managed to lay down two coats of enamel mixed with the Hytech pixie dust. After it dries overnight I can lay down the last of the marine ply flooring.

ONWARD!

PS...

One of the greatest advantages of living on a round planet...is that it is always Happy Hour somewhere! And that somewhere is just down the road at the moment, so I have to go now.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #2674
Bus Geek

The Saga Continues --- Just a few more steps closer to the prize...

Two coats of enamel & Magic Pixie Dust (aka; HyTech beads)

then...

...1/2" marine ply, glued & screwed.

And while I was in the neighborhood...

...I corrected my screw up on attaching the turbo blanket. Should be much happier now.

ONWARD!
Old 10-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #2675
Bus Geek

Now that makes total sense to me to wrap the turbine side and not the compressor.. the compressed air will be at its hottest in the compressor and we want it to dissipate heat here. But blanket the exhaust in the turbine to keep the radiant heat off the compressor and the mow temp difference between the EG and ambient the more tendency for flow. Fly w is good spins the turbine faster.

This is lookin good!! Can't wait till you actually make some smoke!
Christopher
Old 10-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #2676
Bus Geek

Yeah...can't wait to see some smoke --- Meanwhile...the boring stuff continues. Stuff like finishing the floor ply and drilling & tapping 15 holes.

Got the last of the marine ply cut and fitted (I really need a table saw). Actually I do still have one small piece to cut. It will fit under my feet in front of the footwell I made. Will attach it without adhesive so that it can be removed should the need ever arise (otherwise, the footwell can't come out without destroying everything around it).

Then there is this bugger...

The footwell I made a year or so ago is finally in place. This thing was a helluva lot of work to put together. It had to accommodate the steering mechanisms, a home made brake system and a homemade throttle assembly in addition to my feet.

Believe it or not, the fifteen 1/4" x 3/4" x 20 bolts that hold it in place took up most of a day. Drilling and tapping each of them through three layers of metal with any precision was a bear.

Measure...mark...confirm clear of obstructions in blind areas...centerpunch...drill 1/8" pilot hole...drill 3/16" hole for tap...run tap through all layers (1/2 turn forward/1/4 turn back while praying out loud the tap does not break off in any of the holes)...drill outer metal to 1/4 for free clearance, then bolt through and tighten. Piece-O-Cake.

Still have to add seam sealer around a few areas but this was a pretty big step. Now if I can just get the parts from my local sheetmetal shop that I dropped off plans for nearly four months ago...

ONWARD!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #2677
Bus Geek

footwell looks good!! welcome to Hot-rodding baby!!! you can build a streetrod now!!!

built in theft protection.. no one with big size 11 feet like me would be able to drive your bus.. they go to press the GO and also be on the STOP

-Christopher
Old 10-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #2678
Bus Geek

You got that right Cadillac. Additional security is already in place with the 5'-8" max ceiling height. And once I get all the sharp, pointy-cornered cabinets in...ouch!!!
Old 10-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #2679
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Yeah...can't wait to see some smoke --- Meanwhile...the boring stuff continues.
Oh, I know that feeling when you first turn the key- eyeballs glued to the oil pressure gauge- those 2 seconds feels like an eternity until needle jumps. Your mind is racing with checklists- did I forget this and that?????

We are ALL real excited to see your trailer become a vehicle. It'll be an eye-catcher, for sure.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #2680
Bus Geek

when I was doing gasser stuff I always kept the ignition unolugged and cranked for a bit to see oil pressure before I let it start..

the ONE diesel I rebuilt had a uel solenoid so I left it unplugged and cranked.. then plugged it in, fired it up, turned on the A/C (cause it was a 90 degree july night in a barn.. ).. then drove it like I stole it..
-Christopher