Old 11-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #2761
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Still Tinkering & Sketching --- As I previously mentioned, sorting out how to convert the existing hydraulic actuation of the master cylinder to pure mechanical has kept me busy the past few days. I have tossed out a number of ideas but think I may be close now.

One of my main objectives is to resolve this issue while having to alter/throw out the fewest number of existing parts. Having spent months fabricating nearly all of them from scratch, I do NOT wish to abandon any more than absolutely necessary. This particular solution calls for only removing the hydraulic clutch master (which I did not make) and then replacing it with a system of three heavy duty bell cranks and steel shafts. I will have to machine a couple of pieces but have a connection that I believe will work with me on them.

We'll soon see.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #2762
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango, thanks to WanderWoman I am sending this post from my new phone using Tapatalk!

Would it be possible to substitute a dual action master cylinder from a small import --- that would give you the extra safety you need. Jack

P.S. now that I've finished up my Retrobird and gotten the hang of Tapatalk there will be no end to my disturbances. I'll even post pics. Take that Photosket!

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #2763
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Oooh! I want THAT car!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #2764
Bus Geek

WOW Jack! Come on...is that for real!? --- Would make a mighty sweet Toad except it needs a paint job to match Rosebud. Maybe something with some tasteful flames?

The Corvette master is one of the few that moves enough fluid to take care of the big four wheel disks I now have. Anything smaller was not considered based strictly on volume. And it is big. I also wanted to use the bracket I already have made for it that sits along side the frame/fishplate so...this will be a fairly complicated set of pushrods. Not really all that bad but three bellcranks do have to be fabbed to make it all work.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #2765
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Still Tinkering & Sketching --- As I previously mentioned, sorting out how to convert the existing hydraulic actuation of the master cylinder to pure mechanical has kept me busy the past few days. I have tossed out a number of ideas but think I may be close now.

One of my main objectives is to resolve this issue while having to alter/throw out the fewest number of existing parts. Having spent months fabricating nearly all of them from scratch, I do NOT wish to abandon any more than absolutely necessary. This particular solution calls for only removing the hydraulic clutch master (which I did not make) and then replacing it with a system of three heavy duty bell cranks and steel shafts. I will have to machine a couple of pieces but have a connection that I believe will work with me on them.

We'll soon see.
Tango- Saw your earlier post about the brake master cylinder and was going say...how about a bellcrank?

Dodge and Chevy Vans in the 70s had a 90* brake booster

1975-DodgeB303-630x470.jpg

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard offers a brake booster upgrade for broncos that has ~45* bracket through the firewall.

extbooster.JPG

Lots of hot rod 90* set up for under dash brake booster/master upgrades.

Perhaps some inspiration?
scotts-underdash-single-dimension.jpg

90 booster.png
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #2766
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

One of my main objectives is to resolve this issue while having to alter/throw out the fewest number of existing parts.
We'll soon see.
How about moving the motor up a few inches.

Beautiful drawings- what program did you use?

Somebody mentioned a booster off of a P42 stepvan might work (nevermind- something else). I like off the shelf for brake stuff ideally.

DSCN8655-L.jpg
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #2767
Bus Geek

Guido...I looked at a few 90 degree set ups, but my hydro boost master is just too danged big to cram in anywhere except down on the frame. The only other space available is way up under what is left of the cowl and would be a monster to get to as well as calling for adding a lot more structure to carry it.

Rusty...the Program is called 2B. But it does come with an eraser.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #2768
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so is the issue just no room for the hydraulic actuated solution? or just that you want to mechanically actuate your master cylinder for fear of hydraulic failure?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #2769
Bus Geek

Both Christoper. I only came to use the clutch system because there was no room to put the hydro boost anywhere under the hood and at the time did not see any way for it to be mechanically operated. But since getting it in, I have decided that relying on that single piston/seal to work everything is simply a bad idea and went back to the drawing board for one more try.

I'm not a big fan of doing things twice, but in this case I'm think I'm making the right call. Gonna run the plans by a buddy here who is a serious builder (NASCAR, NHRA, Big dollar customs) to see what he thinks. I'll need him to do the machining anyway.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #2770
Bus Geek

Just realized they used my bus to take young Forrest Gump to school.

Well...not MY bus, but one with the same body. Course the same body was made from 1941 thru early '47 so there were a lot of them around. And the one in the movie looks to be in excellent shape.