Old 07-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #3341
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Given how wonky most of the older rigs are, it would risky to try and use any pattern other than the one that actually came out. I spent much of yesterday with my glass guy pulling all of mine and he noted differences from the right and left that you would think should be identical.

The one piece that is giving us trouble is the little wing/vent window. I am still trying to remove a couple of tiny screws that hold the frame together and will very likely have to drill them out.

And I changed my mind on the driver window. I have always loved that it was a roll down but there is simply no way we can make it water tight. Having seen the damage caused by pooling inside the walls I reluctantly decided to go with fixed glass. And the way the body is designed in that area I couldn't even replace it with an RV style slider. Made me sad

Will spend today cleaning up and painting all the metal lips where the new gaskets will go. Was pleasantly surprised to find virtually no rust.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #3342
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Always good to catch up on my favorite thread.... in the world
Old 07-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #3343
Bus Geek

Well Howdy Dredman! --- Long time no hear. How is the latest build coming along? Are you back on the road? Please...bring us up to date Bud!

Got started on cleaning up all the window metal today. Did NOT get much done. Just one side of the windshield. Will get more serious in the morning.

A little work with a high speed wire brush, then some self etching primer. Next will come some real paint. That will make it easier when the time comes for a full paint job after the glass is all in. Gotta take care of that hidden metal too.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #3344
Bus Geek

More Minor Movement --- managed to get the driver side cleaned up today. More work than it looks. First wire brush it all...then hit the surrounding area with a stripper pad...then a couple of coats of primer (self etching).

Only 6 more to go! Then..fill all the gaps with seam sealer and apply a coat of real paint.

ONWARD!
Old 07-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #3345
Bus Geek

Pretty good progress today --- Got the rear widows cleaned up and primed. Still need to have the glass guy extricate the wing window though. I got the frame off but will let him be the one to break it into pieces while removing it.

ONWARD!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #3346
Skoolie

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
roll up and vent windows..

https://www.chuckstrucksllc.com check here and see if any of the vent wing stuff looks correct for yours...

and an idea about the roll up. Instead of stopping any all the water... near impossible to do..

catch the water, and drain it where you want it to go.

Imagine if you will some like a large zip lock baggie.. the top of the zip lock is up at the edge of body work and the window rolls down into the baggie.

now.. make the baggie out of one or at most two layers of fiberglass... or if you know how to use or make a vacuum table make it out of some sort of thermal formed plastic -- two clam shells and glue/bond/bolt halves together.

you are going to have to take off the inner skin do do this.

you will have to think about the winder mechanisms and the space they occupy.

put a couple big drains in the pocket and route out of the wall.

all the sun roofs I have ever worked on, do not stop all the water coming in.

they all use a gutter with drains...

so dont stop all the water, but what gets in, give a way out so that it is not contacting the metal....

The link I included also has window winder mechanisms. If you look at the window winder closely you might even see who made it....

food for thought.......
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #3347
Mini-Skoolie

FWIW, passenger car doors are the same. They arenít designed to be waterproof, just to have the best channels and drains to keep water from the interior.
Whiskeyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #3348
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: CHEVROLET C60 just under 19700 lbs body#B10353
Engine: 350 ci on propane
Rated Cap: 48
A mechanic friend use to leave a rag in the bottom of the door and soak it it oil to stop rust. But if you keep the drain holes clear and do regular maintenance your doors should last.
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #3349
Bus Geek

I looked into fabbing a drain system but decided I just did not want to go there so it will be a fixed window. At least I still have the wing vent.

Meanwhile...more boring window frame pix...

Threw on some paint around the frame edges to try and slow any rusting.

Also wound up doing a fair amount of minor Bondo work since I discovered a number of small dents and mystery screw holes here and there under the old paint.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #3350
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Your peeps! Fun looking stuff! https://jalopnik.com/texas-geniuses-...ing-1827541460

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote