Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #1161

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
This bus is so badass. I can't wait until it's done.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #1162
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
The turbo location on yours is exactly the same as my B700 5.9 Cummins ( Haul All).

I like the layout.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-04-2015, 05:15 AM   #1163
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
*drool**drool**drool**drool* Hey someone get me a five gallon bucket to drool in......
Old 09-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #1164
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Howdy All --- spent much of today putzing with the turbo drain line on my Cummins 4BT. The motor mounts I am using (made for a Jeep) don't leave enough room to properly route the drain back into the system so I had to do some chopping and welding.

This doodad comes off the turbo & used to be much longer with a couple of bends in it. I cut and welded it to flow straight down.

THIS doodad used to fit into the engine block (and was a major PITA to remove) as the return tube for the turbo oil. It will now be welded directly into the oil pan once cleaned up a bit. These two pieces will be connected with a section of 7/8" hydraulic line.

The new return point has to fit above the normal "full" mark in order to flow properly and I will position it at one of the X's. Still undecided which.

One concern is simply blocking off the old drain port going into the engine block. I used a screw down type freeze plug that I think will be OK, but still not sure. There should be no real pressure behind it since the crankcase is vented, but still...I may wind up tapping threads and using something more substantial.

Hope everyone is having a good Labor Day holiday and getting some work done. I will be back at it all day Monday.

ONWARD!
Old 09-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #1165
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango. Would I be right in guessing that the return line tube was a press fit into the block? Also, I'd like to know what the deciding factor will be as to which "X" you use. Hope you have a good play day on Labor Day! Jack
Old 09-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #1166
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Tango, you should be able to find a regular freeze plug for that hole.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #1167
Bus Geek

Howdy Guys --- Hey Jack...yes, the return tube is a press fit with a very small rubber O-ring. Really snug, but thanks to all the oil, not rusty on the inner surface. And the only drivers in the location issue are routing of the return line and making sure the flow enters above the pan's normal "full" level. The oil coming out of these turbos is not pressurized, just gravity flowing, but, can be "frothy" after going through and requires a fairly large, free flowing path back into the pan.

Somewhere...I looked for a standard press-fit cupped freeze plug, but could not find anything nearly that small (7/8"). I have been told there is such a thing (somewhere) and will continue to look, but meanwhile, didn't want mud daubers moving in. They are famous for building their little concrete condos in any hole left open for 5 minutes. A pilot out of one of the small airports I used to fly out of here was killed when his plane stalled out during a turn on takeoff. The FAA found that the pitot tube which helps indicate airspeed was partially blocked by the buggers work. The cover had been left off over night and they moved in. Bummer.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #1168
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Am I they only one that thinks they look like + signs and not x's?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #1169
Bus Geek

Yup.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #1170
Bus Geek

Picky, picky, picky.

Today was spent trying to cut, patch & weld a rehab section into my inner fender on the passenger side. Thought I had bought a pair of much better replacements but like many things on Epay, they were not properly labeled. Turns out they are for a '40-41...not '42-46. But, as fate would have it, the louvered sections were the same, so it was a cut & paste job. A...painful...cut & paste job.

Ah well, at least there is some hope they will eventually look more or less right.

I know, I know..."pix etc., etc., etc." Stay tuned. Coming soon.

ONWARD!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #1171
Bus Crazy

X's aside LOL, you are doing an incredible job.

I'm still eyeing that '52 Ford but cant seem to find the owner. It still sits there....all alone.....

Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #1172
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Go to your local auto machine shop to find a freeze plug. The last shop I worked at had 100's of sizes. And if you only need one, your looking at under $5 bucks.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
Old 09-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #1173
Bus Geek

Crazy thing is, I tried 3 auto parts stores and none had anything smaller than about 1-1/4". And while I failed to ask, none mentioned being able to order one. However...I did just get one lined up this evening at my friendly neighborhood bar (should have gone there earlier). A friend who has an auto repair shop said he'd pick up a couple of types but recommended a screw together brass arrangement over the hammer in type. Said he used the same size & type on his '76 Olds Cutlass years ago and it's still hanging tight.

Thanks to all.

BTW...Opus...you really NEED that '52 bud. Get on it!
Old 09-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #1174
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Dorman Products - 555-014.1

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
Old 09-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #1175
Bus Geek

"Uhhh, Houston. We have a problem."

And it is worrisome. The custom door that I spent months working on no longer fits properly. It has been sitting...make that..standing, for about a year and when I went to begin actually installing it discovered it has somehow torqued out of shape and will no longer lay into the opening correctly.

I checked it after every procedure and it fit perfectly every time. Now...one side is out about 3/8th of an inch. Or as my sheetmetal/fabricating guru calls it...it is "racked". My term for it was also in the past tense, but not nearly as polite.

I cannot start over on that monster, so now I have to somehow figure a way to lock it down and "rack" it back where it should be. And I cannot screw up the opposite side while doing it or I'm really screwed. The thing that made it such a bear to begin with is that my antique bus does not have straight sides. There is the slightest vertical curve to the body which the door does still fit like a glove. But...the front edge, the one that is now out... is straight. The combination of curved & straight made for some very tricky metal work on the door. The only thing I can attribute any movement to is the fact that I cut a large window opening at the top after it was skinned. I did check it afterwards, and at that time it did fit, once again perfectly...but the cutout must have relieved some force that allowed the frame to twist over time.

Sheeesh. Not at all what I needed right now.

Here are a couple of pix, the curvature on the back edge is almost imperceptible. But trust me, it is there, and a RPITA to work with.

Before the window...

...after the window.

Since I don't have a large enough table to clamp this big, heavy sucker down, my local sheetmetal guy offered to let me come in after work one day in the next week or so, and see if we can force it back into shape with some hydraulics.

If not...well...
Old 09-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #1176
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Best of luck, I don't think you'll need it though. You're one crafty guy when it comes to building stuff, man.
I guess if all else fails, grind it till it goes??
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #1177
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Need some help Tang? Let me know and I'll schedule some time in on a Saturday. I'm thinking a little heat and some coaxing should do the trick. I LOVE working with metal. PM me if you want. I'll check back tomorrow..

M1031

P.S. this Saturday I have a band trip, so it'll have to be after that.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #1178
Bus Crazy

Whats the other side look like? Could you put some square tubing or channel on the back to un torque it or is that not what your plans consisted of?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #1179
Bus Geek

Hey Tango. Sorry to hear about the door. Let me offer a suggestion that you probably already know. When you use the hydraulic press to re shape the door, just press it a little farther than you want it to bend and then leave the pressure on over night.. Apparently this process lets the molecules in the metal get used to their mew position and when you release the pressure there will be very little movement in the piece.

I didn't learn this the easy way. After watching me tear out several door pillars on my new frame rack, an old body man with a thousand years of experience gave me that quick lesson--I never again pulled stuff in half. Give it a try--or two. Jack
Old 09-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #1180
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
We all have faith in you, you will over come this issue.

What I love about this build is you don't rush anything.

Haste just makes waste.

As some wise man once said.
"Be not afraid of moving slowly. Fear only standing still."

I live by that and do well in life.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Closed Thread