Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #621
Bus Crazy

Re: '46 Chevy Shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Most of those factory four-on-the floor's would make it across the intersection before the light changed
Baloney!

The Valiants had low enough gearing. We had the small (170 cid vs 225 cid) slant 6 with the economy (non-synchro first) transmission. I was once stopped at a light lined up alongside a Chevelle SS 396, orange with two wide black stripes across the hood and trunk (and maybe the roof), jacked up in back with wide tires. I just sat there playing it cool in the stock econobox wagon.

When the light turned green, we both popped our clutches and floored it. He had no idea I was going to try to race him. He was apparently just intending to show off, but he was definitely trying. By the time I ran out of revs in first gear, about 30 mph if I recall, we were both well clear the intersection, and there was a measurable bit of daylight between my back bumper and his front bumper.

I shifted to second, and the Valiant changed from "accelerating" mode to "gathering speed" mode. He shifted to second right after me, laid about 40 feet of his back tires out on the pavement, and all I saw were taillights. He must have had highway gears . . . .

But those small engines could not push the econobox through the air very well. I think the top speed due to wind resistance was about 88 mph. (Those were the pre 55 days, when the turnpike troopers wouldn't even look at 88 in a 75 because they were only concerned with speeders.) And I could not keep up speed on the long climb up "Dead Horse Hill" without dropping into second.

By the way, later after I had left home, my kid brother had a Valiant with a factory Hurst. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was a 3-speed, not 4. I only drove it once when we were all on vacation.

I later had an early '70s Dodge Dart hardtop with the "big" slant six and an automatic. By reconnecting the vacuum tube from the distributor to constant vacuum instead of the new emission control cut off at idle, and then resetting the timing (advance it until it just started to knock climbing hills, and then back off a hair), I had the performance of a small V8, according to my friends who noticed and commented on it when they rode with me.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #622
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Hey Tango, that was fun. Guess I lit a fire under Redbear though. Good times. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #623
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Its a good thing we dont have any red lights in this county. Punching it from a red light in my Brat would be an embarrassment!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #624
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Hey Tango, that was fun. Guess I lit a fire under Redbear though. Good times. Jack
Not a fire, not a fire, just a once-in-a-lifetime story to serve as a mild rebuttal.
It's hard to get my tone of voice across on a keyboard.
Several posts this past week have made me "wax nostalgic." (I guess that's easier than waxing a bus.)
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #625
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Its all good Redbear, I had a lot of fun with the 'ol slant 6. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #626
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 16

Tango,

Sorry for going completely off topic with this but I have a question about the roof raise you did on your Bird. How much were replacement ribs from Bluebird and how long ago was that?
orangepeel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #627
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Wow...have to consult Mr. Peabody and his wayback machine on this one --- 20+ years for sure. And no recollection of the rib price. I do recall them being pretty reasonable at the time though. I cut 19" pieces out of the straight sections and got maybe 6 out of each rib. I do remember that Blue Bird had more regional parts & service locations than I expected. Mine came out of a facility near Dallas I think. I can remember the construction details much better than the sourcing & pricing though. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:20 AM   #628
Bus Geek

Been shopping rear ends --- I have (finally) concluded that the Dana 80HD is probably the best candidate to replace my aged and granny geared rear axle. It appears to be the right width (within a half inch)...is rated higher than my original by about a thousand pounds...has near perfect gear ratio options...is built to the same as my '46 10 lug on 7.25 specs...comes with disk brakes...and has a great reputation. It was available in GMC & Chevy 1-ton trucks (3500 series) from 'about 91 thru '02. I'm headed to a local axle rebuilder on Monday to get more precise measurements since there is a lot of confusing data regarding these units. If everything works out, I should be able to end up with a newer axle geared 4.63, (which will be just about perfect), and get the massive rear disk brakes in the bargain. The only trick will involve machining out the center holes on the rims by a quarter inch on the radius to get the right fit.

But wish me luck anyway.

Onward!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #629
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
The only trick will involve machining out the center holes on the rims by a quarter inch on the radius to get the right fit.

But wish me luck anyway.

Onward!
Wanna borrow my Dremel tool?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #630
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
The only trick will involve machining out the center holes on the rims by a quarter inch on the radius to get the right fit.

But wish me luck anyway.

Onward!
Wanna borrow my Dremel tool?
Thanks Opus, but I have a rat-tail file that ought'a do it. Eventually.