Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: '46 Chevy Shorty

Well, after being out of town for nearly a month I'm finally back to work on the Shorty. Spent days & days just welding up holes everywhere that I won't be needing. Made a little more progress on the new door & frame and cut the "smoke stack" from the wood burning stove out of the roof. Also got the front & rear bumpers off. Man...bolts that haven't been touched in 65 years are a bear! Spent an hour on two of them then resorted to a "universal, SAE/Metric nut & bolt remover"...aka; grinder & cut-off wheel.

Still trying to find the right tranny & rear end to make highway speeds, but hope to make some progress there soon.

New pix added here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tango88...7626526227672/
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevy

Thanks for the info Tango! My buyer was going to come pick it up himself, but instead ended up hiring a transport - (MSpringer from Stovebolt) and it just may end up on the "Shipping wars" TV show. Glad to here your back to work on your project. BTW no bumper available from me.
lars larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #63
Bus Geek

Hey Lars --- Glad you got the transport worked out. It can be a nightmare. And now that the '40 is sold, I hope to see you get started on your Shorty. And speaking of bumpers...I just found a clean '46 front that is on its' way to mount onto the new rear deck I'm constructing...and...if anyone is looking for an original wrap-a-round rear to fit onto a Wayne bus body, I have one. It's is in very good shape with just a couple of small wrinkles along the bottom edge. Will post it on the "parts" page.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Howdy All --- still in the "deconstruction" stage and looking forward to the day when I can actually begin building something. Been pulling all the rub rails as well as a "skin-job" that had been screwed on over the lower skirt. No big surprises there, just the expected wrinkles and bondo. What did surprise me a bit was the fact that Wayne did not put any paint at all under the rub rails. Nothing there but bare metal. Obviously attached the rails before painting, but I would have thought at least a little primer.

I plan on cutting off all the side sheet metal underneath the upper rail and replacing it all the way down. I will weld a one piece sheet directly to the ribs instead of the hundreds of screws. If it ever needs bodywork again, cutting and replacing a section will be far easier than what it would take to remove the panels. You almost have to take the whole bus apart to fix or replace any of them. Thinking about applying some textured/ribbed stainless down the middle of each side, but waiting on the sample (and price) before I decide. (Think Ford Tri-Motor)

Colors??? Will likely stay with the traditional black fenders do the body in the "Medium Cream" from '46 along with some accent color...maybe burgundy? Although I did see an Art Deco truck somewhere that had a really dark burgundy on the fenders that looked great, but then,that might be a bit too stylish for an old foggie like me. We'll see.

Here is the link to my album with a few updated pix...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tango88...7626526227672/
Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Making a little headway inside & out. Pulled the drivers window panel out and have been removing the old sound/insulation padding inside the skin. Basically thick tar paper and a mess to clean up. Scrape first, then sand or it will plug up 40 grit.

BTW...has anyone here ever seen a windshield wiper set up like this? There is a single motor (seen dangling at the lower left corner of the windshield) that runs a continuous flexible screw all the way across to operate both wipers. Turns one way then the other to make them go back & forth. A new one on me...how about you?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #66
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Can't get a good view of wiper, but it kinda looks like the ones used on British cars, like, forever.They are quite rebuildable if anything goes wrong. Are the wipers connected by what looks like steel brake lines? It all comes apart quite nicely. Good idea to grease those cables inside of the tubes.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #67
Bus Geek

Hey Somewhere...ya, the screw cable thing runs inside a metal tube. Thanks for the feedback, they were new to me. They work but are not very impressive and I doubt they are original. The Wayne cab looks like it might have had top mounted wipers at one time, but who knows. Will probably go with top mounts and separate motors (electric, not vac). Anybody else here used aftermarket wipers that they are happy with?

Here is a little better pic of this system...
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #68
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

That definitely looks British, motor probably says Lucas on it somewhere. They were never impressive, but worked well. The best thing about them is you can space the wipers wherever you want by changing the tube length. Could probably be mounted as an overhead. Later models had two speed motors and were stronger. As far a I know all MG's had them, and I think Jaguar.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #69
Bus Geek

Thanks Somewhere...good to know. Just might look into moving an updated version overhead.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #70
Bus Geek

Here is a stainless sheet that I am thinking about using down each side of the bus between the upper & lower rub rails. The pattern is raised but not all that large. More like what you'd see on a '57 Chevy Bel-Air rear fender than corrugated roofing or a Ford Tri-Motor. Also, it can be painted and then the raised elements sanded clean/polished for a really interesting look.