Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #1521
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
This whole A/C conversation has been fascinating. I don't need A/C in my bus right now because I just go to the mountains for A/C, but if I build another bus for travel in hot climates I at least now know what is possible. This site never ceases to amaze me in the amount of knowledge and experience that people share. Thanks Tango and everyone else that contributes.
chances are there will be all kinds of new technologies out when you build a new bus..

I had forgotten about these.. I looked into them for a hot rod project a couple years ago

they arent cheap and the capacity isnt enough for a whole bus... however it just shows what is up and coming.. a lot of what is done in the hotrod world is applicable for busses..

JEGS Remote Mount Electric A/C Compressor | JEGS Performance Products

some stuff here for small-space heating and cooling...

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com...right-for-you/

Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #1522
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Great Info Cadillac! --- Many thanks. Those are some of the parts I have been looking for. Now...if I could just get you down to Texas to show me how it all goes together correctly...
Old 04-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #1523
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Great Info Cadillac! --- Many thanks. Those are some of the parts I have been looking for. Now...if I could just get you down to Texas to show me how it all goes together correctly...

thatd be a fun time! wrenchin on the busses.. I got my own bus coming with No A/C...

I been Piecing together ideas and parts so i can go to work right away when it comes time to bring it home.. im looking forward to the 1050 mile drive t oget it home (really yes.. I love driving a bus).. and fortunately I live in ohio so it wont be hot here for awhile.. (heck it just snowed saturday.. Grrr)..

granted a lot more modern than yours.. but definitely not the classic you have!.. your bus is definitely too cool for school!.

-Christopher
Old 04-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #1524
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I smell a road trip comin'!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #1525
Bus Geek

Hey Caddie --- We will all be watching your build. Especially how you design and assemble your HVAC since you are obviously the most qualified person here in that department. Good luck and enjoy the ride home.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:56 PM   #1526
Bus Geek

Soooooo excited! --- I know. I know... I am WAY ahead of myself here, but...I went ahead and ordered the flooring for the bus. It is Pirelli rubber tile. The same thing I put in a kitchen I built years ago and fell in love with. It was also installed in the Paris Metro about a half century ago...and still looks amazing. Just had to share the joi!

Should fit right in with the whole Art Deco look and is practically indestructible.

ONWARD!
Old 04-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #1527
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Wow, love the look. Will definitely go great in your bus.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:09 AM   #1528
Bus Geek

oh yes!! I totally love the idea of this kind of floor in a bus.. for one it seems like it will flex and flow nicely in a moving vehicle.. I realize many here put down wood but I just think something like this will handle the changing environments in a bus more handily..

I also think of now well this should clean up if you are out camping.. mud, snow, dirt, water, etc..

yeah great choice and it Looks great too!!!
-Christopher
Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #1529
Bus Crazy

We have that is a car garage at one of the homes we take care of. The only thing negative we found was if the sunlight beats on it directly [garage doors open], it bubbles, raises.....til the sun goes away.

Very durable stuff.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #1530
Bus Geek

Thanks Alll --- yeah, I lived with the same tiles on a kitchen floor in a loft I built years ago and it was amazing stuff. Resilient, tough, easy to maintain and resistant to just about anything. I'll be laying it down over marine plywood and it should be perfect for an RV environment. And...(I admit)...I thought it just looked really cool.

Never had any lifting issues even where it met our deck and got tons of sun. There are a couple of similar looking products that are lightweight and I believe vinyl. The Pirelli is quarter inch thick rubber.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #1531
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Never had any lifting issues even where it met our deck and got tons of sun. There are a couple of similar looking products that are lightweight and I believe vinyl. The Pirelli is quarter inch thick rubber.
Hmmm...I dont believe this stuff to be rubber. Looked to be a heavy vinyl. They had to use a wood mallet to whack it together so it would lock.

Is yours flexible? This are pretty stiff tiles.

I think I'd like the rubber!
Old 04-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #1532
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Looks like a good choice and if it ever does wear thin you can ship it back to Pirelli for a recap. Jack
Old 04-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #1533
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
How's that stuff rate for heat transfer (or insulation, depending on perspective)? I've been thinking about making a radiant heated aisle section in my rig, probably with PEX fastened to the bottom side of steel or aluminum sheet. But smooth metal sheet would be slick when wet and I don't want to go with a diamond board because that would be uncomfortable on bare feet. The Pirelli would be a nice covering if it conducts heat alright.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #1534
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
How's that stuff rate for heat transfer (or insulation, depending on perspective)? I've been thinking about making a radiant heated aisle section in my rig, probably with PEX fastened to the bottom side of steel or aluminum sheet. But smooth metal sheet would be slick when wet and I don't want to go with a diamond board because that would be uncomfortable on bare feet. The Pirelli would be a nice covering if it conducts heat alright.
my experience with it is that it was Very much insulating.. at least from my perspective building hotrods laying on that as opposed to laying on the concreete floor.. it seemed like the furnace in that garage took MUCH LESS time to get it roasty toasty in there after that type of material was layed down.. I only had a chance to work on it for one winter until my house was built then I moved to my own garage (which doesnt have it).. im a LOT colder working on my garage floor and I have a bigger furnace....

I do know the standard "fake laminate" flooring has really nice heat transfer properties.. I cant remember what they call it.. its not real wood but its a floating flexible floor that looks like wood.. I did an electric heat loop for a friend's bathroom under it.. and it got quite warm very quickly.. you would have no trouble heating through that with a PEX glycol loop..

-Christopher
Old 04-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #1535
Bus Geek

Howdy All ---

Opus...yep, all rubber, not vinyl. Has a fair amount of flex and lays down beautifully. I installed it in my loft using a 2-part epoxy permanent adhesive but will likely go with a little lighter adhesive so that the tiles can be taken up if need be down the road. Does require a special adhesive just for rubber.

Jack...based on what I have seen of this product, I will be long dead and gone before it will need to be re-capped unless someone takes a grinder to it. But I like your thinking.

FamWag...The rubber is actually a surprisingly effective insulator for both heat and sound so I don't think it would pair well with an in floor or radiant heating system. I do like that it's mass does a pretty good job of dampening vibration.

Cadillac...you are correct sir. It is surprisingly insulating. That's actually one of the excuses...er, reasons I used to justify my choice since I don't have room for conventional, thick foam.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #1536
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Howdy All ---

Opus...yep, all rubber, not vinyl. Has a fair amount of flex and lays down beautifully. I installed it in my loft using a 2-part epoxy permanent adhesive but will likely go with a little lighter adhesive so that the tiles can be taken up if need be down the road. Does require a special adhesive just for rubber.
Ahhh. There was no adhesive used in this garage, just laid down like....floor tile? I'm curious now, I should find out.

Would it be like this flexible?
Old 04-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #1537
Bus Geek

Opus --- Probably a bit less. The stuff in the vid appears to be 1/2" thick rubber foam. Mine is very dense solid rubber close to 1/4" thick. And it does need to be adhered to the base flooring, in my case, plywood.

And, BTW...lots of colors available...
PRF Group

There are also a few knockoffs of the Pirelli that cost less but as I recall are only about 1/8" thick.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #1538
Bus Geek

One more "BTW" --- I did have some of the lock together, foam rubber stuff down at my last house. My dog's claws trotting across shredded it pretty quickly.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #1539
Bus Crazy

This is the stuff: http://www.swisstrax.com/cointrax-garage-flooring/
Old 04-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #1540
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango.As you know, I'm working on my Ecotemp on demand water heater. As you will recall I let the thing heat up the water so much that the pvc pipe ballooned and a seam leaked. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but wiring in a temp control switch would have saved my a$$. I've been using one to cut in and out an extra cooling fan for my genny and it has worked perfectly---so why not use the same device on the Ecotemp? Sometimes I'm a slow learner.

This switch 10A 12V Digital Temperature Controller w Sensor Thermostat Switch 40 120°C US | eBay

controls my genny temp within 2.5 degrees F and all for about ten bucks. Jack
Closed Thread