Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: '46 Chevy Shorty

Howdy all --- not much break in the drought here but at least we are enjoying some cooler weather. Been removing the upper & lower rub rails in preparation for the next phase. I have decided it will be better, faster, cheaper to simply replace all the sheet metal down both sides rather than doing a lot of patching & straightening. The original metal is all screwed in place but I am going to just cut it out then weld the new sheet metal directly to the framing. Still can't believe that Wayne put the rub rails on with no paint or primer under them at all. Amazingly, there was no rust through anywhere under them, just tons of surface oxidation.

And I am really wishing I had a compressor at my work site. An air wrench would have made short work of the 120 or so quarter inch, slot-head screws that I wound up having to drill out to remove the rails. Tightening them till they snapped would have been much easier & faster than drilling all those suckers.

Also beginning to lay out/plan the interior and underbelly. Just picked up a 44 gallon aluminum fuel tank off of Epay to replace the dinky 18 gallon original unit. Hard to believe they used the same tank for this bus as they put in many of the pickups. If I can coax the hoped for minimum of 25 mpg from the little Cummins diesel I am building, that will give me an 1100 mile range as opposed to the current 102-mile range the 350 Chevy provides from the 18 gallon tank.

Here's a couple of shots of the rub rails (...or as some call them...the "Torpedo Belt")...

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ford Eldorado / Aerotech
Chassis: E350
Engine: Ford 7.3 Gasoline
Rated Cap: 11

keep us posted I think that will look good when its done!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #73
Bus Geek

Thanks ptooti --- I have pulled all the rub rails and the wheel well covers and will be getting them media blasted here shortly. A good coat of rust preventing primer and some proper paint should make them last another century or so. Once the outer sheet metal down each side has been replaced, the rest of the body will get blasted as well, then some minor straightening here and there.

Meanwhile, I just received the fuel tank I got off Epay. It took 3 months of monitoring the postings and checking available sizes but this one is an absolutely perfect fit and in outstanding condition, complete with float & sending unit. I priced new custom builts at about $700 bucks plus shipping. Got this one for $125 + 60 bucks shipping so I am a happy camper. Now all that leaves to find are the fresh and black water tanks, toilet, propane tank, cook top, fridge, microwave, water heater, sink, pex piping & fittings, gen set, jacknife sofa, flooring, new turbo & exhaust manifold, drapes, headliner material, inverter, electrical panels, wiring, batteries, isolater, TV, antennae, radio, new gauges, new turn signals, shower surround, new tires, new brakes, new exhaust system.............well, you know the rest.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #74
Bus Geek

The fun continues --- I have now removed all of the body spacers along the outer edge of the floor. Only one survived. They are the "C" channels that tie the outer skin to the floor and were held in place with large, slot-head screws that go through and also attach the lower rub rails. And since they close off the space under the windows, they have four holes that were meant to provide drainage for the water that runs down into that cavity. Bad news is, they weren't even painted and had completely rusted away in most cases. Guess the engineers didn't count on the rest of the bus still being around 65 years later.

I am making replacements out of slightly heavier Galvalune and once installed, will add a layer or two of fiberglass to try and slow the oxidation since there is really no way to seal the windows well enough to keep water out. The drain holes have to stay. Here's a few pix...

The spacers fit in between each rib at the floor level and tie the outer skin & lower rub rails to the floor & chassis.

The only survivor. I need six like this and two that are longer. Without the rust.

This was about as good as they got except for the one above. Getting to all those 1/4 inch, slot-head screws was a bear and every one had to be cut with a high speed grinder...from underneath...with dirt, rust and hot metal falling down into my face or burning holes in my work clothes...

It reminded me of being in the Navy. "It's not just a job...it's an adventure!"
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #75
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I hope you're current on your tetanus shot!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #76
Bus Geek

Ya...Roger the Tetanus Dan. Makes me glad I got that booster in 1958. Actually, the rust on this old gal isn't all that bad. If the dumb a**es at Wayne had just made a tiny effort to stall the oxidation in these very predictable problem areas, she would be dang near rust free.

Onward!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #77
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: tc2000 fe
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

where did u get the sheet metal at ???that would be nice for window pannels

keith
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Howdy Fireman --- There are a couple of sources here in Houston. Don't recall the names off the top of my head but I just Googled for local suppliers of "Galvalume" & "PaintGrip" and found'em. Got one name from the local bulk steel supplier (Triple S). Since they don't carry it they were willing to share the source. Both are ready to accept paint or primer and available in several gauges. If you are in the area I can look them up...if you are elsewhere, try the same routine for your area. Good luck and just let me know if you need a Houston source.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #79
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: tc2000 fe
Engine: 5.9

Thanks but i live in GA,,but i got a sister who lives in huston ''
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #80
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Ya...Roger the Tetanus Dan. Makes me glad I got that booster in 1958.
Ha...sweet! Sounds like me.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote