Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #1761
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
They made concrete ships
Speaking of concrete ships-

The remains of the SS Atlantus, off Cape May Point, NJ

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Old 06-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #1762
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
OK...I have been slacking on the bus lately what with no new posts and all. But I have been busy. REAL busy. On that sculpting project I mentioned earlier. And since there are rules here (pix, or it didn't happen)...here ya go. Hard to see at this stage but it will be a sculpted cement & concrete on steel bench over twenty feet long.

Just rebar at this stage but the framework is now done.

Was going 90 mph to try and get the steel work done before the rains came again. Wrapped up all the cutting, bending & welding late on Saturday and 10 minutes after stowing the gear away...the bottom fell out. Close.

Been a really weird weather year so far.

ONWARD!

I love seeing frames of things being built!! cool stuff... oh and the weather... lets see we FINALLY get summer for once.. (last 3 years in ohio were COLD( we had a few days in 2014 with HIGHS in the 50s in JULY!).. and rainy summers.. this year we get the nice sun and heat and we sent all the cold and rain south

oh and I LOVE heat and sun!! ..

nevertheless I dont geuess rain goes too well with concrete and metal though....

-Christopher
Old 06-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #1763
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Speaking of concrete ships-

The remains of the SS Atlantus, off Cape May Point, NJ

There's also about a half dozen concrete ships from WWII that were sunk in the Chesapeake Bay on the Eastern Shore side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. They were intentionally placed to make a seawall to protect a former ferry landing from years past. For a really good look at them take a boat or kayak and ride up to them from the water side. Pretty neat!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #1764
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Lots of concrete ships around. We have one in Galveston Bay that was intentionally scuttled right after WWI to start a reef. Great fishing spot these days. I believe it was made by Henry Ford. And...there is an annual competition among universities called the "Concrete Canoe Race". Yep...all concrete canoes.

Concrete Canoe National Competition

Like I said...you can do some pretty crazy stuff with plain old Portland cement.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #1765
Bus Geek

Howdy Guys N' Gals --- got a bit more done on the crazy concrete bench project the past few days. Here's the latest...

All the welding is done and the metal treated to prevent corrosion. Now I'm tying on stucco lath to hold the first layers of concrete.

The weather has hardly been cooperative. It's either 105 heat index...or thunderstorms. What fun.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #1766
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I think you should makether shower stall in your bus out of concrete--that way the mods wouldn't have any way to complain if you keep posting pics of your alternate amusement----just trying to help. Jack
Old 06-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #1767
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I think Jack has a "concrete" idea we can "set in stone"...... Just add a few more leaf springs and presto concrete shower!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #1768
Bus Geek

Thanks guys. While I really do appreciate the ideas...and puns...I think I will stick with something lighter.

At the moment my hands are absolutely shredded. Blood everywhere. Which unfortunately is typical for this stage of the work. Anytime you cut stucco lath, it leaves an edge that consists of thousands of razor sharp fishhooks. I am hoping to wrap up this part next week and begin laying on cement media.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:07 AM   #1769
Bus Geek

OK...Back to the bus for a few hours --- Had yet another "rain day" today and couldn't work on the bench project so I took my freshly made throttle cable over to my shop and did a little bus work.
Had to finish tweaking the rather tricky cable mounting bracket then hook it up.

Here is the aforementioned bracket with the final mods made and welded in place. I have discovered that painting stuff while it is still warm from welding does a pretty good job of baking the finish on.

And here is the new cable mounted. It was built by "Inland Truck" here in Texas. They fab all the connectors, cables, shifters and such for Allison Transmission as well as any specialty items...like this sucker. May re-drill the firewall and move it over a couple of inches but at least I know it fits and works.

ONWARD!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #1770
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
OK...Back to the bus for a few hours --- Had yet another "rain day" today and couldn't work on the bench project so I took my freshly made throttle cable over to my shop and did a little bus work.
Had to finish tweaking the rather tricky cable mounting bracket then hook it up.

Here is the aforementioned bracket with the final mods made and welded in place. I have discovered that painting stuff while it is still warm from welding does a pretty good job of baking the finish on.

And here is the new cable mounted. It was built by "Inland Truck" here in Texas. They fab all the connectors, cables, shifters and such for Allison Transmission as well as any specialty items...like this sucker. May re-drill the firewall and move it over a couple of inches but at least I know it fits and works.

ONWARD!
lookin good!! its always those seemingly small things that end up being the toughest and also the most accomplished when you get them done... just because well.. making anything custom and then seeing it fit the way you want just plain rocks!!
-Christopher
Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 AM   #1771
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
lookin good!! its always those seemingly small things that end up being the toughest and also the most accomplished when you get them done... just because well.. making anything custom and then seeing it fit the way you want just plain rocks!!
-Christopher

Is it me or did Tango post the pics in stealth mode?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #1772
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Must be you, I see them.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #1773
Bus Geek

You got that right Chris --- the "little stuff" on a custom build is what consumes 90% of your time. Stuff like installing the engine & tranny get done in a day or so...making all the crap around it can take years! Ask me how I know.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #1774
Bus Geek

Hey Tango. I think you are going to like the cable way better than you would have liked "fly by wire" like I have. What with the rocking horse effect of our short wheel bases, I can't hold the accelerator in position without using cruse control.

When I first glanced at your pics, I thought "Hey Dude, did ya know you had a pink Hula Hoop stuck through your fire wall?" Ha, Ha. Jack
Old 06-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #1775
Bus Geek

All skoolies require a pink Hoola-Hoop through the firewall. Everyone know that Jack. It's just is what it is.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #1776
Bus Geek

plus with the cable you have a chnce of fixing it if something goes wrong... if the fly stops flying or the wire stops wiring its a lot harder to be able to go 'by'...

-Christopher
Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #1777
Bus Geek

Tango, I see no issue with concrete pictures in your thread, it is your story...roll with it

I will hyjack, I am building this, using type "S" mortar and I need to paint the chimney area so water doesnt soak in, what kind of paint and prep work?

I still have to finish covering the dome, I was thinking what should I do for water proofing?

it is going to be blue and the base will be parged and painted ...looks over shoulder for wifey...Yellow w/blue tiles maybe

oops not a recent picture, I built the chimney last night

I don't want it to have a chance of freezing either and cracking apart

Thanks

I will also add this one, finally got her started and will bring her home weekend after 4th, maybe this Friday...she has a nice round smooth rearend hugh?

P.S>if you remind me I can delete this to clean up YOUR thread
Old 06-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #1778
Bus Geek

Now don't be doing that Bansil--we all love a beautiful rear end like that one! Jack
Old 06-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #1779
Bus Geek

Beautiful indeed!!! What a sweetheart. '38-ish?

As for painting the mortar and waterproofing, your best bet is to apply a good quality concrete sealer first over everything...then you can use just about any kind of paint. Unless the 'crete is thoroughly sealed, it will outgas moisture and the paint will flake off in no time.

My personal preference is for penetrating type sealers but they can be tricky to find.

But either way, when will the pizza be ready?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #1780
Bus Geek

Attention any welders!!! Serious Safety Issue!!!

I just came across the info in the link below and think any of us hobby welders need to be aware of this potentially lethal combination. I have used "Brake Cleaner" to remove oils & such many times prior to welding but will find another option after reading this. Surprised the fool out of me. Please pass on as you see fit.

Safety Alert! Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Gas - BREW Bikes LLC
Closed Thread