A few more Baby Steps
--- Spent a few days doing something I am as thoroughly unqualified for as anything else on this build. Playing "Body Man". It is an art with skills I have always had a great deal of respect for. Even more so now.
The lower cowl on both sides of my bus were rusted away from the inside out and had to be replaced. I got really lucky and found a chap who just happens to hand craft body replacement parts for war years Chevy trucks which is what my Shorty is based on. But naturally, mine is just different enough that even parts made for these rascals needed to be modified a bit to work as "Busware". Still put me way ahead of the game since it also involved reinforcing brackets as well as body panels. Took them to my local sheetmetal shop, had them trimmed & folded to fit my rig and dove in.
Here is the cutout with the reinforcing bracket already in place along the bottom.
Body panel tacked in place. I had absolute fits trying to weld the crappy slag metal that was used for civilian purposes during the war years. No matter how I set my Miller...it would blow out. I am convinced there is more lead in this stuff than steel.
After waaay too much grief, they are finally in place and all metal. No Bondo. I hate that crap. Surface filler, OK...but I want the repair itself to be steel.
And while I was in the neighborhood, I went ahead and removed all the old sealant between the cowl & bus body. Left the anti-squeek rummer gasket and will come back and fill the whole joint with seam sealer. It is perfect for this type of gap and fully paintable.
All for the moment. I am now trying to work out the new firewall, doghouse and dash. Gonna be tricky.