Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #951
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
I think you may have poked a hornets nest here. Lots of us on this forum are old coots that remember the old guy (gal in my case) that could walk back and pick up the part with out even looking it up. Boy, was she ever cranky, if for some reason you displeased her. I seemed to do that a lot, probably because I was fifteen. If you could heft it in and throw it on the counter, she knew what it was. I was in awe and a little afraid of her.
Those were back in the days when auto parts stores gave a significantly better price to garages so that everyone could make a profit. Also they kept their inventory until it sold, they didn't get rid of it because some bean counter somewhere said it cost more to keep it than to throw it away. I was in on part of that. I worked at one of the local parts stores for a while. Was given a list of Bendix brake parts, told the weren't moving fast enough and to throw them away. I threw them into my garage and used out of that stuff for years.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #952
Skoolie

Sweet bus! What a score!

Edit: just realized there are about 800 posts after what I thought was the last post. Duh. Sorry about the likely irrelevant comment here... OY. (Back to the original...)

About that shower door.. What a brilliant idea!

"I have designed a shower door that when closed has drawers and shelving that will occupy all that open space inside the shower and swings out to form a privacy door when in the open position. Frankly, I'm surprised that I haven't seen such an arrangement before since coach makers work so hard at using every other square inch."

-Do you have room to make it a quarter round and clear the toilet? If so, one side could be a solid door and one a shower door on each side of the 90* angle.

If you had space, you could even build it on an 180* arc/line that pivots of to the outside hall completely when in use, with only half exposed when the door is closed...
Old 05-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #953
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Howdy Pamela --- and thanks for the kind words. That idea came from the fact that on every trip in a little Toyota Odyssey I used to have I found myself constantly loading & unloading stuff into & out of the shower. I figured why not just arrange it so most of it could stay in place?

The interior build out is still a ways off and there has been some re-thinking (mostly about the use of a composting toilet) but one way or another I will make use of that otherwise dead space.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #954
Skoolie

You're welcome. I'm a big proponent of the composting toilet, but not so much the expensive store-bought versions. The first one I used long-term was the 5gallon bucket version and it worked perfectly. I wrote a long comment when I first got on this site with a lot of design details to consider if you are considering fashioning your own.
(I don't know how to link back to it, sorry)
Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #955
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey Pam --- did your homebuilt have any kind of exhaust fan? My biggest concern is that my space dictates that the shower and toilet occupy the same small space...i.e., what some call a "wet toilet". Getting even 12v to survive regular showers would seem to be tricky.

Meanwhile, I'll do a search for your post on the subject.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #956
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
My brother, a plumber, was just telling me about this toilet setup: Neorest® 550 Dual Flush Toilet, 1.6 GPF & 1.05 GPF

I personally think this would be your best move....dont balk at the price though.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #957
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hey Pam --- did your homebuilt have any kind of exhaust fan? My biggest concern is that my space dictates that the shower and toilet occupy the same small space...i.e., what some call a "wet toilet". Getting even 12v to survive regular showers would seem to be tricky.

Meanwhile, I'll do a search for your post on the subject.
What about a ceiling exhaust fan at the highest point in the head?

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #958
Skoolie

I didn't really need an exhaust because it never sat long enough to get smelly. My set-up used dry sawdust, manually applied with a scoop. I had a dedicated compost bin outside, and generally dumped the bucket when it was about half full because it was easier to carry.

That said, it is important to keep these types of set-ups dry as possible. BUT since there is no plumbing, they can also be built to slide into a hidden cabinet easily.

If I fashioned a hidden cabinet, i would probably utilize a small screened vent with a bitty fan just for the moisture factor. There really isn't as much smell without all the excess water or fluid. A urinal or urine-diverter will help even more and will also stretch time between emptying the container.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #959
Skoolie

Post composting-toilet design suggestions for the the DIYer

The details are in "Starbuck's Composting Toilet" comment #65 back in March 2015
Old 05-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #960
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I think a big factor on the bucket toilet not giving off smell after your done your dump, is the use of Dry wood chips. The wood chips soak up the liquids and keep them from evaporating. No evaporated fumes = no smell.

I think the bucket toilet may be the best for you Tango due to the space issue. Unlike a hard mounted floor toilet, the bucket can be set out of the shower while the shower is in use. No having to trip over the toilet.

For reference, I have been using variation of the bucket toilet since September of 2014. I find the urine pail smells far worse than the poop pail does.

Now that I have 10,000 pounds of wood chips, we are going to try using one pail for all. I have to take out a full pail daily due to my wife being prego and going pee every 30 minutes, but no big deal.

Also when all of our human waste is suspended in wood chips, there is no sloshing, spilling, ect. Much nicer to empty not seeing the stuff directly.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote

« Cannabus. | - »