Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #881
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
there never was a V-8 until way after ya'll,s shorty rolled off the line
REALLY?

Ford put them into production in 1932.

The V8 engine configuration became popular in France from 1904 onward, and was used in a number of aircraft engines introduced by Renault, and Buchet among others. Some of these engines found their way into automobiles in small quantities. In 1905, Darracq built a special car to beat the world speed record. They came up with two racing car engines built on a common crankcase and camshaft. The result was monstrous engine with a displacement of 1,551 cu in (25,416 cc), good for 200 bhp

Rolls-Royce built a 3,535 cc (216 cu in) V8 car from 1905 to 1906.

One of the first production automobile V8s was built by Cadillac. In 1914 they sold 13,000 of the 5.4 litre (330 cu in) L-head engines in its first year of production

I rebuilt a Cole engine, I don't remember what year it was but, they started using them in 1915 and went out of business in 1925.

Dick

Old 02-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #882
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
"Clearance for the steering tires to turn lock to lock without rubbing the frame would be my guess."

A wider axle would have solved that problem without the pinched frame. I'm just about sure the real reason was to make the vehicle more more likely to roll over during events like parallel parking.
You crack me up. Thx for the good chuckle.

Use your imagination. Left over parts in the production line, tighter turning radius, ect. It could have been a few.

A wider axle would make a larger turning circle.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 02-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #883
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Old 02-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #884
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey Jack --- Negative on the axle narrowing. The 1.5 & 2 tons are pretty much the same except for about an inch of extra drop on the 2 ton and slightly larger bolts everywhere. And no idea on the frame config. Most of the pre-war had a similar design. Maybe it was just easier to hang separate fenders that way(?)

Bansil --- Funny you mention a straight-eight. The kid who helped me with the engine install just showed me some pix of his '48 Buick project. His fully rebuilt inline 8 is one of the prettiest engines I've seen in a long, long time. Beautiful but very non-traditional paint job. Great old motors actually. Not quick revving but tons of really smooth torque.

Opus --- Where is that museum!? I wanna' go!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #885
Bus Crazy

I dont know. If I did, I wouldnt tell you because you would loose focus on your project. LOL.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #886
Bus Geek

Ahhhh...good point.

1.Get bus running
2.Then find museum
Old 02-23-2015, 04:08 AM   #887
Bus Geek

THE MUSEUM OF BUS TRANSPORTATION
Old 02-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #888
Bus Geek

Just plugged the address into my GPS! --- Thanks Bansil. Now I have an excuse to go "Up East" (but will time it so as to avoid snow season).
Old 03-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #889
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango, How's the project progressing? Honeysuckle Rose and I are heading to Pahrump NV tomorrow for a week long gathering of "real" bus owners. I sort of feel like a tu-- in the punch bowl with my little skoolie, but hopefully folks will over look my short comings! Bansil would be pleased to know that the meet is being held at a winery/RV resort so I'm hoping that will sort of lubricate my participation--that and the fact that I just bought an MCI 9 8v92 bus!?! The devil made me do it! I've always wanted a BIG 'ol diesel and now I've got one------. Mostly I wanted to have it to learn new stuff. Once that has happened I'll pass it on and continue my Skoolie ways. Just wanted to share all this with a friend. Jack
Old 03-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #890
Bus Geek

Har-Har!!! --- I KNEW another project was most likely just around the corner Jack! Couldn't imagine you NOT having something big & greasy to play with once Rose was finished. Hot damn...this will make for a really cool & interesting build thread!

Almost bought an MC9 myself a number of years back that had the same Detroit. Wound up instead with the Blue Bird based on our intended use as an antique hauler (Ex & I had a couple of shops back then). The Bird was much easier to raise the roof on.

Great old buses. Is your rig supercharged?

And you know the rules here (in fact as I recall, you wrote'em)...

without pix...it didn't happen!

One last question...how much farther down will you have to excavate your garage floor now?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #891
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
One last question...how much farther down will you have to excavate your garage floor now?
I'm more interested in the extension so he can close the door!!!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #892
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
hey old folks...there never was a V-8 until way after ya'll,s shorty rolled off the line;)

I think you shoud have gone for a straight 8 or 12 supercharged
Here's another one
Engine Of The Day: The Very First Chevrolet V8
Old 03-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #893
Bus Geek

Work has been extremely tedious of late --- Seems every item has to be hand made or spend months tracking down. Just part of this wacky build I took on so I can't really complain.

And Jack...you will probably identify with this...

Had a major shocker while modding a disk brake system for the front. Decided to install new wheel bearings while I was at it. No big deal, right. Checked my old parts book and found the "right" numbers for the factory installed Hyatt bearings. No such animal today. Tried every source online hoping to find an interchange part number. No such animal. So...I cleaned up what I had and checked the numbers on the inner & outer. Turns out the larger inner was the same as what's in my book but the smaller outer had been replaced somewhere along the way with a "newer" Timkin (started to get hopeful). Went to my local NAPA store with both to see what I could find. They confirmed no replacement for the inner, but did have a newer interchange for the little Timkins...at $250 buck apiece! What!? I said thanks but no thanks until I could look a little more. Went back online and did indeed find plenty of the Timkins...all STARTING at $250 each. One mahcinery outfit in Minneapolis had the exact same Timkins priced at...get this...$675.00 each! What the **** were they made for, the freakin' Space Shuttle!?

At least I did find a pair of the inner bearings as NOS (new old stock) on Ebay for about $25.00 apiece. But, I did go back to NAPA for their bargain priced Timkins. $500.00 to special order a pair.

Yet another argument to start with something younger than 70 years old to do your conversion on.

Ah well, telle est la vie.

Onward!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #894
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Ouch, That's as bad as unit bearings.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 03-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #895
Bus Crazy

I'll whittle some maple bushings for you. We had them in a cultipacker about the same age as your rig so they should surely work.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:44 PM   #896
Bus Geek

I'm holding out for some Lignum Viatae wood. The aft main shaft strut bearings for USS Nautilus (SSN-571), the world's first nuclear-powered submarine, were composed of this wood. Ought to be fine for an old Chevy, right?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:53 AM   #897
Bus Geek

Glad you got it worked out

How much difference in bearings sizes between what is available and not?

Are the spindles removable or 1 PC with beam?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #898
Bus Geek

Howdy Bansil --- the spindles are removable but as near as I have been able to tell, the only "reasonable" transplant is from a 2 ton of the same vintage. And parts for them are even harder to come by. In fact, I have a complete 2 ton axle I considered swapping but the kingpins turned out to be wonky and made of Unobtainium where those on my 1.5 axle are tight & right.

And I was considering machining what I had to fit more common bearings when the NOS stuff appeared on Ebay so I just went with keeping the originals.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #899
Bus Geek

One more thing...

Some of the NOS parts I have picked up were old MilSpec stuff and had been packed in Cosmoline. Amazing stuff. They have even found parts coated with it that went to the bottom of the ocean during WWII that were still intact.

However...after half a century or so, it basically solidifies into wax and is a royal SOB to remove.

It takes plenty of high powered solvents, a torch and lots and lots of time to get down to the (still shiny) metal underneath.

Does anyone here know of any shortcuts or tricks to clean this stuff off?
Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #900
Bus Nut

Hot water and Dawn Power Dissolver ? Foam Spray For Cleaning Tough Greasy Foods Cleaned the cosmoline off of my Mosin Nagants pretty well... even soaked it out of the wood. I found it on the shelf at Wally World. Seemed to be way less harsh than some of the chemicals that others have mentioned to clean Mosins with. If you still want other options look to Mosin and old Military rifle forums...everyone has their own recipe that they swear by! The most common factor between them is HEAT (which you should be getting soon in Tx)
Good Luck!
Closed Thread