Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #1141
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
So...that roof raise is still out'a the question?

Old 08-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #1142
Bus Geek

Still waiting on major metal parts, blah, blah, blah,...

More piddling accomplished though.

The little black plate will allow me to connect the drum pedal (aka; accelerator pedal) to the linkage I am fabmotizing. It was trickier than it looks to drill & tap the aluminum without punching through. Had about 1/64th to spare.

And here is how (I hope) the linkage will work.
This is at "Idle"...

...half throttle...and...

...full throttle.

I'm with Jack on working models. Much cheaper to screw up than metal.
Now I'm off to hunt down a couple of the right sized Heim joints.

ONWARD!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #1143
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Cardboard is my material of choice too!
Old 08-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #1144
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: MertoTrans
Chassis: Ford E-SuperDuty
Engine: 460 Ford
Rated Cap: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Cardboard is my material of choice too!
Me too! That's why I buy so much from Amazon, Rock Auto, Summit, Jegs, etc..... Than way I get plenty of boxes!
Old 08-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #1145
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Yup, if you can make it work with paint stir sticks and cardboard there just is no way to screw it up when using metal. Looking good Mr. "T". Jack
Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #1146
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- I was planning on using paint stir sticks but my supply ran out and had to use some leftover Coroplast. Guess I need to hit the Depot paint department for more before I can build anything else.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #1147
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
The Despot will charge for them. Try a couple of auto paint stores. Around here they hand them out like party favors. Jack
Old 08-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #1148
Bus Geek

More Piddlin' --- Working on my throttle linkage in spite of not having the sheetmetal for the firewall. What the hey. It should be close. Also prepping some odds and ends. At least some little stuff is getting done.

Throttle linkage. 1/4" steel rod threaded to 24TPI and a Heim joint screwed on. Couple of tight bends and I have to wait for more metal before I can finish the other end.

More odds n' ends. Two braces for the old firewall, a lower cowl patch panel to replace some rust and a bracket for my tranny fill/dipstick which should arrive any day now. All with a light coat of Weld-Through Primer to hopefully hold back some rust until I can attach them.

Like I said...piddlin'.

ONWARD
Old 08-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #1149
Bus Geek

Look what I found under my Labor Day Tree a little early...

Bit the bullet and picked up a new Natures Head locally. Hardly cheap, but having decided to go the composting route I figured WTH...get the one you really want.

Besides... it is about the only one that'll fit.

And no...I never planned on making my own. Everything else on the bus, yes. The potty, no.

I do hope to begin construction on the combo head/shower shortly. It will basically be a marine ply box with a fiberglass interior. I am hoping a master cabinet maker/acquaintance/ old buddy will give me a break and some guidance on some construction issues I've designed in. If they work...cool. If not...there's always Plan C.

ONWARD!

Errr...make that Plan "D". This IS Plan C.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #1150
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Still waiting on major metal parts, blah, blah, blah,...

More peddling accomplished though.

Fixed it for you!!
Old 08-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #1151
Bus Geek

Thanks guys. Something about "a different drummer" perhaps?
Old 08-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #1152
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I've got a buddy that plays the drums with his feet while he plays the guitar.

Your GO pedal is way cooler than even the vintage barefoot pedal covers! Way to go!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #1153
Bus Geek

Thanks ECCB --- bit of work involved, but then I have to build the whole system from scratch anyway so I might as well have some fun with it.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #1154
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Tango,
The drum pedal is a great idea! …always a little more work for something unique.
Cardboard or Coroplast work great for patterns, mock ups etc. …made a kitchen counter with bottom cupboards and left it in my kitchen for months to see if it would work before I actually built it.
That’s the crapper I would like, they’re a g-note up here, ouch!
If I decide to move on to another project I can take it with me.

CB,
I had/have those pedals, the gas pedal weighs a ton …had to put two springs on the carb of my 77 olds. Not sure what I did with it, still have the small one for the dimmer switch.

Workin’ on my own fuel pedal, started as a doodle, then made it into a narrow shape/pattern to fit the pedal [black rectangle]. Plan is to cut the aluminum [part of a top rail of a trailer, light weight] the shape of the mule head and then cut grip tape a little smaller to give me an aluminum outline, nostrils, eyes, ears etc. Counter sink some stainless machine screws in to the forehead and nose, a couple of stainless washers and lock nuts then stick the face over top the screws.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3765.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	8431
Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #1155
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD View Post
Tango,
The drum pedal is a great idea! …always a little more work for some unique.
Cardboard or Coroplast work great for patterns, mock ups etc. …made a kitchen counter with bottom cupboards and left it in my kitchen for months to see if it would work before I actually built it.
That’s the crapper I would like, they’re a g-note up here, ouch!
If I decide to move on to another project I can take it with me.

CB,
I had/have those pedals, the gas pedal weighs a ton …had to put two springs on the carb of my 77 olds. Not sure what I did with it, still have the small one for the dimmer switch.

Workin’ on my own fuel pedal, started as a doodle, then made it into a narrow shape/pattern to fit the pedal [black rectangle]. Plan is to cut the aluminum [part of a top rail of a trailer, light weight] the shape of the mule head and then cut grip tape a little smaller to give me an aluminum outline, nostrils, eyes, ears etc. Counter sink some stainless machine screws in to the forehead and nose, a couple of stainless washers and lock nuts then stick the face over top the screws.
Attachment 8431
Redd- You and Tango are two of the most creative and talented folks on here. Just sayin...

And yeah, I love the old barefoot pedals. Had one on my 1971 Ford LTD. That was a BEAST of a car, in an awesome way!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #1156
Bus Geek

Gracias guys, just trying to have a little fun --- Can't wait to see what your pedal looks like. It's just one of those things cries out to be personalized.

And...I actually picked up some work from my metal shop today! Progress! Below is the custom stainless downpipe for my Cummins 4BT. Should breathe pretty nice given the straight shot out of the turbo. Most are like 90* bends coming out but the mods I've made let me get this routed directly back and down with minimal bends.

3" stainless downpipe. 12" straight...12"inches at 45*...then another straight shot for a foot or so.

Still waiting on my dash/firewall and doghouse but at least I have something to play with.

ONWARD!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #1157
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Yeah Tango....you must have the patience of Job. I would've just gotten more & more perturbed as the days went by & nothing was getting done.

Hopefully they will be able to knock out a few more things for you sooner.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #1158
Bus Geek

Between the many large "favors" the guys at this shop have done for me and my go-to guys Dad dying a couple of weeks ago, I have not really pressed them that hard. If I were paying full retail for every project, then it would be a different story. Good news is that when I picked up the downpipe, I was told that the other major pieces were scheduled for completion within the next week or so.

Meanwhile, I have gotten a boatload of "little stuff" done. Including a total redesign on my wet bathroom, ordered my first "test-fit" window, have a good start on my throttle linkage, begun my house battery box, removed the old HydroVac brake assist unit and a bunch of other stuff.

My biggest issue right now is the water heater. I want to go tankless but have not found the right combination of features and size. The new Rheem units are way out front of everything else in that they have the very best low-flow rate plus the best altitude rating. I have seen a number of people very disappointed when they discover their water won't heat up above 5400 feet (It'll work in Denver, but not in Durango). The Rheem is rated to about 9800 where a lot of really beautiful parks are.

Big problem with the Rheem? They are...big. I am calling today to see if they have anything in the works for the Tiny House movement or RV crowd. Let's hope. I'd hate to have to give up those features for size, but hey...this is one tiny bus.

ONWARD!
Old 09-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #1159
Bus Geek

Howdy All --- managed to wrangle a Cummins part number for a tricky V-band clamp for my exhaust off the web. Two different Cummins parts houses could not find it but thankfully, the folks on the 4BT Swap site had been down that road before and had it.

Did a trial fit today and it looks good. Should flow real purdy. Next stop will be a local outfit that can coat it in a heat shielding ceramic then wrap it in more heat shielding. I also have a custom wrap for the Holset HX30W turbo as well. In part to keep some heat off the doghouse but mostly to keep the heat in. The turbo will spool much quicker that way. Once that is all done I can fab the hangers and get the rest of the exhaust put together.

Nice straight shot out of the turbo.

ONWARD!
Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #1160
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Damn! That engine looks good!
Closed Thread