Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #1821
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Best of luck on the move Tango, and hopefully the new digs will be better to work in .

Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #1822
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Mornin' Tedd --- And thanks for the feedback. I ceramic coated my downpipe (inside & out), then wrapped it, then put a radiant shield over that and will install a blanket around the turbo. I'm hoping that will reduce the heat on the exhaust side. The pedal box will get as much insulation as possible. And given the peculiar shape/size/configuration of mine, I had no choice but to build it and the pedals. Next item will be the doghouse. It too will need to be built from scratch and insulated as best possible. Still playing with a couple of ideas there.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #1823
Bus Geek

Speaking of Foot room...

I don't have much. The gas pedal, brake pedal & steering take up most of what little area there is available. I could probably save an inch in width by using a skinnier accelerator pedal, but hey...I really like the way my "Speed King" bass drum kicker worked out. SO...anyone else who wants to buy/drive this rig will just have to have feet no bigger than size 9-1/2. Too bad for the rest of you.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #1824
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Tang,

I have size 8 & 1/2 double wide flippers! WoHOO!!!!! I can fit my feet in there!!!!!! LOL
Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #1825
Bus Geek

Hey M...sounds like we both have duck feet. As wide as they are long.

And here is the current brake pedal after much heating, straightening and modding...

\

Old 08-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #1826
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
tell me more about turbo blankets and wrapping pipes.. though my turbo and downpipe are on the opposite side of my footwell.. so im not sure that helps in my case....
I do need to get that POS V-band to seal right first..

-Christopher
Old 08-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #1827
Bus Geek

Howdy Chris --- My turbo is also on the passenger side but they put out so much heat, I wanted to bring it down as much as possible.

The pipe wrap material is the same as they use on race cars. I got mine from Summit Racing...it's call Lava Exhaust Wrap...1200 to 2000 degree rating. Can't recall where I found the turbo blanket but there are a bunch online. Just make sure to confirm the fit on your turbo make & model.

And good luck on the V-Band. There again getting the specs right is critical to the fit. Turns out there are sizes and angles that are all very close but do NOT seat correctly. And don't feel bad. There are tons of diesel "experts" over on the "4BTSwaps" forum that the same problem has driven crazy for a long time. Bunches of threads on that subject.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #1828
Skoolie

Most people will tell you that the OTHER benefit to wrapping the turbo and exhaust is keeping the heat IN will result an increase in the efficiency of the exhaust pulling the gases out of the cylinders.

SOME (but neither many nor most) have concerns about cracking the cast iron or warping tube headers.

For me and my GMC 6.5 turbo, the reduction of heat in the engine bay is worth both the effort and risk. Tons of replacements in bone yards.

Hey Tango! Still slinging mud?

LOVE the accelerator pedal. Doing something like that for mine is on the list. My foot keeps slipping off the stock one.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:35 PM   #1829
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Is that a Texas cowboy boot thing? From Texas with 8 1/2ew.
Let us know when we can test drive it down the old oil top rods for ya.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:56 PM   #1830
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Sorry gentlemen just catching up on this thread?
I had a 79 Chevy truck I put a 396 into and had problems with the heat off of the headers. So I used a ceramic fibre duct wrap (scraps) used to wrap grease duct and rated to 2000. Worked well except for the foil jacket but some repair tape made for the it was nothing more than high temp duct tape.
It might be cheaper to go with the other suggestions for wrapping the exhaust with specific size products?
I was thinking of buying some fire blanket/duct wrap material I used before and covering/ wrapping the fire wall and let the motor,exhaust do its thing. Can be secured with insulation pins and tabs and blocks all of the engine bay heat instead of specific points. A blanket that is cut to fit, can line the bottom of the doghouse and if I do buy a roll it will also line my propane storage and generator bay. Normal 1 1/2 thick without being compressed .
Very thick ceramic fibre so it can deaden sound and repell heat.
Just what's in my head?
Old 09-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #1831
Bus Geek

There are any number of excellent heat reducing products out there these days. Just be sure they don't collect moisture. Rockwool for example is a great heat reducer but will hold a ton of water that rusts everything away.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #1832
Bus Geek

Sheesh! What a day today! --- In preparation for my upcoming move, I spent the entire day disassembling the 10' tall x 8' wide, 3-ton hoist I built...by myself. What a freakin chore! Had to do a major balancing act. Between the uprights and the 6" I-Beam top section it was a real bear. Took a lot of rope and several ratcheting tie downs just to keep from dropping a few hundred pounds on my head, but I eventually worked it all out. Just need some rest now.

And STILL no progress on that big bench project! It has rained every day now for the past two weeks. In fact, this was the wettest August in Texas in 150 years and tied the all time record. Climate change? Ya...but then it's always a changin' around here.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #1833
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Took a lot of rope and several ratcheting tie downs just to keep from dropping a few hundred pounds on my head, but I eventually worked it all out. Just need some rest now.

Yep ... that's us old guys. You should have seen the rigging I had to do to build my Deuce, Henry. All I had was a Harbor Freight cherry picker, a 1.5 ton block and fall and miles of ropes, chain and cable ... and me. 3 days from start to finish.

And a LOT of rest breaks.

But, us old guys, we get it done.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #1834

for your bus parts and needs try Interstate Bus Sales Inc. - WALLISVILLE TX 77597 this is a local co in wallisville tx
Old 09-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #1835
Bus Geek

Howdy All --- Given that it has rained here every day for the last two weeks, not much has taken place on the "Big Bench" project. But I did manage to finish the last bit of welding just as another deluge came through. And it looks like the same weather pattern will hang around for another week or so. Getting pretty bored with all the wetness.

However...I have managed to get a couple of small things taken care of on the bus. Mostly been boxing stuff up for the shop move but at least I did make some small progress the last two days.

I did a few welding fixes to my inner fenders way back when and decided to go ahead and get them in shape for painting. They were pretty nasty.

Taking them down to bare metal was a monumental PITA. If I ever need to do another piece like this, I'll send it out for chemical stripping and soda blasting. Using Aircraft Stripper and a wire brush is easy enough on flat metal...but a chore on stuff with lots of kinks and bends.

I think I may finish them with truck bed coating. Not the rubber stuff that never sets hard but the other kind. I've used it in a couple of places and it seems to be pretty tough stuff. But I will likely wait till after the move to apply the final finish.

ONWARD! (well...a lit bit at least)
Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #1836
Bus Geek

Made a little progress on the "Big Bench". It finally stopped raining for part of a day so I jumped on it, got some welding done then added the base coat of concrete. Still a lot more work to do but at least now I'm ready for round two...of three.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #1837
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Looking really good Tango. They obviously commissioned the right person for the job.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #1838
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that bench is gonna be bad-ass!! (and so is your bus!) im assuming it never will move after you build it? that you are making it right where it will live?
-Christopher
Old 09-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #1839
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im assuming it never will move after you build it? that you are making it right where it will live?
-Christopher
LOL...I hope you are talking about the bench and not the bus!

Thanks for the kind words all. I hope to keep moving ahead on both.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #1840
Bus Geek

Back on da bus --- thanks to the daily downpours I had a little bus time yesterday. Started prepping some floor areas for new sheet metal walls and did a test fit for an access hatch to my propane tank.

Aluminum diamond plate door with a stainless hinge. Should make filling a bit easier.

Meanwhile...on the other side...

...the upper hole will just get replacement sheet metal and the lower part may or may not get another piece of the diamond plate. Don't really need the access, but what the hey...IT'S SHINEY!

ONWARD!
Closed Thread